Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Road hazard warranty for tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:07 PM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Road hazard warranty for tires

Do you buy RHW for your tires? If so please explain to me, as I've never understood really how this works. It seems to me it is just a way for someone to make a little more money.

Thanks, Tony
Old 12-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do on every set I buy.

Only used it once when I had a blowout on my Toyota.

Well worth it considering the tire in question was $150.

phox
Old 12-27-2007, 03:05 PM

If it is from Walmart, run, don't walk, from it. I had some and they almost screwed me out of a replacement until the manager went to lunch and a kind mechanic did not "know" about the price, as he put it.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have bought it for the last 4 sets of michelins and have not used it. I told myself i would not buy RH for my next set of tires as I could have paid for them through all of the RH's i didnt use. Well i ended up buying the RH for my most recent set last week..$130 for all 4 tires...each tires was right at $200.

Too bad you can just buy one for the back left tire!
Old 12-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It's a prorated replacement policy, usually based on miles. The seller sets a number of miles as the expected lifespan of a tire. If you've used 1/2 of these miles, and for some reason need a tire replaced due to road damage, they'll usually comp you 1/2 the value of your tire towards a new tire. uSE UP 3/4 of the life of the tire and you get 1/4 of the value towards a new tire.

I get all my tires at Sams so anywhere I go I can usually find a place to repair/replace a tire if needed. Sams rh warranty is included, and although you pay for it, they don't itemize it out at purchase.

It works the same with batteries. Just had one of them comped not too long ago. It was only a few months old and conked out. I only paid something like $15 for a new battery.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:30 PM

never seen a 35" load range D-E tire with 8-10 ply sidewall fall victim to any "road hazard"
Old 12-27-2007, 07:03 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I have heard just about everything on road hazard warranty.
We dont cover tread punctures
We dont cover sidewall punctures
We dont cover rock cuts
We dont cover stick punctures
Your tires are too worn to replace.
We dont carry that brand anymore.
We dont cover tires with that load rating
the best
We will have to send the tire to the factory so they can determine if its covered.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 PM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The reason I asked is, I've been looking on tirerack.com I can get the same tire 30.00 cheaper than locally. I'm trying to figure if it is really better go thru tirerack, or my local store.

Thanks, Tony
Old 12-27-2007, 08:32 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I buy locally. 2 reasons. Support local business and also.....how will tirerack take care of you when there is a problem? Still have to get them mounted. Lot easier for me to deal face to face. They know me, and know I will tell my experience good or bad to my friends, family, and co workers. It does make a difference.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:19 AM
Administrator

It's about a 50 / 50 mix. The two times I did buy it, I was glad cause Merchants fixed the tires three times for free. If it is $40 or less, I will usually buy it just for peace of mind but in the long run, I don't really believe it is worth the extra expense most of the time.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Discount Tire has always been good about replacing mine and my friends tires. Even when I was in Norman and there were no Discount Tires. They repaid what I had paid for one at Sam's for.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:42 PM

If you buy online ask these questions:

How do you know the tire will balance properly? (many tire shops toss bad tires aside as they come across them.. online its your job to discover its a bad tire)..

How do you get one replaced if it blows out after 200 miles?

Most places you buy tires from will do free flat repairs.. thatll add up over the life if you live in an area with nails and everything else flying around on the highways (PHOENIX!! GR!)

Always buy tires locally... Who wants to deal with shipping a tire and missing one when you need warranty work/replacement?
Old 12-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by annabelle
Discount Tire has always been good about replacing mine and my friends tires. Even when I was in Norman and there were no Discount Tires. They repaid what I had paid for one at Sam's for.
That's where mine was from.

Neither I nor they knew what caused the blowout, as the rim destroyed the tire.
Could have been a sidewall puncture, could have been a nail, or what I think happened, bead broke causing massive air loss and destruction.

Tire was a mud terrain BFG, but they didn't have any in the store nearest the blowout, so they subbed an AT BFG and I bought a matching one for the other side.

phox
Old 12-30-2007, 02:03 PM

I'm all for the warrenty at Discount Tire. On the '69 I would run them until the right rear would throw the tread. Usually 90-100K. All highway miles and still never the wear bars. Fender was shaped so it wouldn't hurt it when the thread went slapping around in the fender well. Buy one tire and the other gets replaced for free. Not pro-rated. They are milage limited, but for full value.

As I said there was always plenty of tread, I never ran them to a point I suspected an issue. They just pealed the tread. And of course I'm a little more conservitive because of the placment of the fenders on the 97 & 99.

An example. I got the Mudders on the '97 off e-Bay. We took a razor blade to a rear. Fourtunatly it was in a lug and it didn't get to the cord. But I'd just assume go down and have it replaced.

Randy