General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Road Hazard

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Road Hazard

So usually I'm pretty "good" when it comes to not smoking people out, but this incident wasn't really preventable .. while going up a fairly large incline and hauling a small load ( 3 quads on a trailer ) I needed to pass an uphill bound log truck. I gassed it pretty good and puffed on past the log truck, not even a fourth of how much smoke I could blow if I really wanted too .. unfortunately the sheriffs officer that was a couple cars back wasn't on the same page as me.

He classified it as a "road hazard" which is a $300 and some odd change dollar fine, along with the usual over height ticket he attempted to issue ( only state patrol officers can ticket you for being over height, but that doesn't stop every other branch from attempting to intimidate you with it ). He even tried to hit me with an unsecured load ticket for having a small two gallon gas can in the bed of my truck that was "unsecured". Washington state has no emission standards so I guess this was all he could attempt to scare me with.

Now I've lived in the same small town all my life and had five or so trucks over the years that they have targeted .. a 76 Ford with 42's being one of them ( still completely 100% legal and pulled over at least twenty times ). So I scratched all those unpractical projects for this current dodge, hoping that I could get away from this sort of constant harassment, but it looks to be starting all over again. It just seems ridiculous to me .. I work for the government, I don't speed or drive recklessly, I mind my own business, and just try to have a fun hobby building trucks .. don't you think they should be doing more important police things? Like stopping the guys who keep stealing my stereos? Sorry for the rant .. but this just infuriates me ..
Old 06-14-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
That is Horse crap, after he let you go did you do a 0 boost launch and fill his cuizer with the black death? On a lighter note this may be the time to go with stacks, that will put it in the air enough that they cannot call you a "road hazzard". And if they try then ask them to pull all the semi's over for the same reason.
Sorry to hear about the ticket if you are going to half to pay for it.
Justin
Old 06-14-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 93flatbed
On a lighter note this may be the time to go with stacks, that will put it in the air enough that they cannot call you a "road hazzard". And if they try then ask them to pull all the semi's over for the same reason.
Justin
He has stacks man...

Sounds to me like your the victim of "handing out coupons" as they like to say around here.

Guys that drove real trucks must have picked on that cop at high school or something.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Some of the Washington State Patrol Officers are jerks and some are really nice, you found yourself a bad one. Road Hazard, lol. Clearly the guy doesn't understand how cool black smoke is.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got pulled over and fine for the same reason. It wasn't classified as any kind of emissions. It was on my yellow copy as Public Safety abuse/harm. I asked the officer how it was public safety abuse. He then stated that if i poofed someone with Asthma i could be risking there life. And that was his only reason.

But the way i was laying the clouds out at the time, i deserved the fine. I wont deny that....
Old 06-14-2008, 05:13 PM

my friend got pulled over for unessasary smoke cost him 110 dollers he told the cop it was a bad injector lol
Old 06-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You can tune the AFC for minimal smoke.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:10 PM

I would fight the ticket or at least make them show you in the law book where what you did was illlegal. Good Luck
ez
Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 AM

Yep thats a small town for ya ... worst part is you get notice that much more in a small town too
Old 06-16-2008, 03:13 AM

I would think it was the uphill log truck making all the smoke or atleast half the smoke. Atleast thats what I would have said.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:26 PM

I work across the Columbia River - in Vancouver WA - from Portland OR. I am usually tailgated 2 to 3 times a week. My response has been to smoke them a couple of times and then ignore them. Lately I just ignore them especially if they are rice burners. If I have to stop in an emergency they can just smile as they go under. I figure that a cop will probably stop me rather than the tailgater. I have another idea but I don't think that will go over very well with admin.

Bob
Old 06-16-2008, 02:52 PM

Yea, I've worked in WA and the weight and law enforcement people are "interesting". (thats working WITH them not on the receiving end)
Old 06-16-2008, 06:54 PM

It just seems to me that they use this stuff as a power trip. I have no real problem being pulled over, other than the inconvenience of course, because I have nothing to hide. But when they pulled my wife over when she borrowed a truck of mine to go grocery shopping it became an issue ( apparently the 75% of the tire that my mud flaps covered wasn't quite up to "their" standards ). It's just their general attitude in dealing with the situation. They treat you as if you were a hardened criminal when your tire sticks out an extra inch past the mud flap or fender flare. Give me a break!
Old 06-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

Crummy cops exist everywhere. Locally we have "robocop", a motorcycle riding, aviator glasses wearing jerk, known for being really picky. He pulled over my son for no front plate and wrote him up for having another person in the car. He is 16 and cannot drive with another person unless they are 25+. He pulled over his friend for "over tinted windows" even though they are clear, and wrote him for the same offense.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
black out

any one got caught behind a school bus full of kids at a signal? green goes black in 1 second, with a "anxious to get rid of the payload" driver. (i can still taste it, not bad)

Quick Reply: Road Hazard