Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Questions about doing own electrical work in new construction.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions about doing own electrical work in new construction.

Long story short, my inlaws are fixing to build a new house and to help out with costs I volunteered myself to do the electrical work if legally possible.

My question is, what is involved in doing this? By that I don't mean the electrical work itself, I am no stranger to electricity...I work for a power company. I mean the legalities, permits, inspections, etc.

From what I have read during a brief online research session, my father in law (who will be acting as the contractor), would have to get a permit for the electrical work to be done. During each phase of the installation such as rough in/final product, it would have to be inspected by the parish (yes this is Louisiana, it's not a county ).

Another question I have is what rules would I follow? It seems like the national electrical code book is the bible, so to speak, but that the parish the house resides in may have their own additional rules/regulations.

To clear something up, I am not an electrician. I am, however, a pretty sharp guy and have no fear of taking on projects of this. I just don't want to get my inlaws in a jam with their new home. I have done electrical work since I was a kid, but just modifications, addons, etc, nothing of this magnitude. I have a degree in electrical engineering so I know the electrical lingo.

This seems like a pretty well rounded group of guys here so I thought I could get some advice/guidance.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
In Vermilion Parish I *think* that as long as you have a competent person inspect the work and find it satisfactory and to code, you are ok, just as you have stated for your parish. Be careful as if this is the case, It may cost you just as much to get it inspected.

Im assuming yall are in Jefferson right?

On Edit:

Id talk with a notable electrician in the area, tell him what you have in mind. Maybe he can give you some advice.

And if it all works out for you, feel free to come and wire mine up if I ever do get around to building.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will relate an experience from up my way. A family I know bought an older house and gutted it to the studs, did what ever repairs and new framing, plumbing, and electric themselves. Had the proper permits, had it inspected and approved then closed it all in. Well something went wrong in the electrical and it started a fire in the walls that burned unchecked until it presented out some windows. Once the investigation was complete and the electrical was found to be at fault, ( i do not know the exact cause ), a large lengthy battle with the insurance company began. Their insurance co. said they were not going to cover the repairs because a licensed electrician did not do the electrical install. They did acknowledge that it was properly permitted and inspected. The house sat for almost 2 years during the court battle. While I am not privy to the resolution, their home is completely restored and they are living in it as I type this.

Food for thought, check with their insurance company and with the proper authorities within the local Parish Government.

Best of luck.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:13 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't heard of any changes, but when I did mine up here, the home owner can do his own, pull the permit, then they have 48 hours to come and inspect it. If the county inspector doesn't show, then they have to pass it. Don't let them know you are doing it for himor you would have to have a license. Only the homeowner is exempt from requiring a license. Make sure you're up to date on the permit process. though. With the economy they way it's been, a lot of local governments have been doing a lot of off-the-wall things to generate income.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:35 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I Pass,

You've opened up several issues.

Before doing the electrical work you will have to know what code book the Parish is currently using at the time the permit is pulled. It might be the 2007 NEC, for instance. Then there might be some local differences that the inspector can tell you about. These might include smoke detector connections to existing arc fault circuits, grounding to the foundation rebar grid, or how many plugs per 20 Amp circuit, etc. Don't be afraid to talk to the inspector and ask a few questions. Just ask him about local code requirements.

From what I gather, your father-in-law will be the owner builder. Therefore he will be assumed to be doing the trades and will be liable for the quality of the work. He can hire help as long as he conforms to any workmen's compensation laws that might apply. In your case, your competency or re-imbursement related to the work should not be an issue as it is assumed that he did the work.

My experience is that, often, owner/builders do a better job than contractors. Meaning the work shows more care and may have some extra features or it was done above the minimum code requirements. Inspectors will quickly point out that the code requirements are the "minimum" acceptable. That doesn't mean you should re-invent the wheel or do things in a way that will puzzle the inspector and show your inexperience in this particular field, it means you can use #12 wire where #14 is shown in the code, wire can be run in conduit when the code accepts romex, type "L" copper water pipe can be used where "M" will be accepted and R-38 insulation can be used where R-19 is code, etc.

When the inspector comes out, be friendly and curious. Act like you are interested in what he has to say. Get off on the right foot. Engage him in a few relevant questions. And don't argue unless you know you are right on a point and can show him the written code that addresses that point. Just do what he says and your life will go easier.

In my case the inspectors seem to like to come out as building is really slow here right now. We have a running joke about how long it will be before I call them out again and how I only called to do them a favor by getting them out of the office and into the fresh air. Besides, my wife really brightens up the whole area with her presence and she often greets them.

I've vigorously argued points back at the building department, not in the field, and won by pointing out the fault with their requirements. The more they demanded foolish requirements the sillier they looked, and with me not being willing to back down they came around. But you have to be in the right forum and clear about your work.

Enjoy the project!
Old 08-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd try and cut a deal with a local sparky......he can pull the permits, carry the GL and inspect your work before you call for an official inspection. I've seen folks think they have done everything properly,only to have the County or State make them tear it down to the bone and get a licensed electrician. Here, you have to pass the test to become a licensed electrician (journeyman)in order for you to do your own work.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 PM

Best thing to do is call the local authorities and ask them the same questions. Some places allow you to pull building permits and build it your self, but have to hold a license to do any mechanical (elec., HVAC, or plumbing) on your own place. Some places will let you take a test on each to qualify to do your own work. Each state is different and each city or county is different. When I travel to different areas to build a house the first thing I do is call the local inspections dept. and find out the local requirments before I even pull a permit, because the next county may require or have different protocalls. If your inlaws are allowed to do the electrical themselves there should be no problems.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A new house s/b easy. Follow code and then local code if any. If possible, have an electrician come inspect all work and have him there w/the local inspector to make sure it passes. The utility will need the info reflecting it passing prior to hooking up your service. I rewired a 1930s home from the transformer all the way to every last plug and switch....yea it took almost 2yrs working on it during the winter but I got it finished. We changed from a 60am to 200amp service. I had my neighbor inspect everything to ensure passing code.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Way Up Here I can run the wires and set the boxes but a Journeyman Electrician must do the final hook ups after he/she has checked my work. Here the electricians are so busy that they like it when the homeowner does the work.

Its been a real challenge to find competent contractors here that will show up and do a good job when they say they will.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM
DTR Mom

ex code official here for NY state. we use BOCA nationwide, NEC for specific situations and have Local law for more stringent applications. National Underwriter is the inspection contact and they usually refer to a regional licensed master electrician. sooooo, as above- go to your local electrical supply store for good references. They can tell you who is good, who talks the talk and who to avoid.

yes, you can do the work as you have a vested (relative) interest in the site.
your elec engineering degree means you know which end is the hot wire/ground wire. Limit the duplexes on the line ( one light , one switch, three duplexes is average per room then three 'light duty rooms' is a limit. )
six feet is the average between outlets or turns. a coffee and a snack with a real electrician will give you the best info for a layout. water pump, freezer, stove, fridge or a/c generally are single load runs.

everyone above gave you solid advice. keep your runs neat and parallel with joists; only take a ten percent limit out of joist width when drilling- plan five times, measure twice, cut once applies!, curved turns, label the wires above the panel box and secure every two feet of wire with the rubber coated wire staple made for 12/2.
hubby went to BOCES for electrical, almost went to Nuclear elec engineering in navy. I used to be terrified of a lightbulb change.

got to check the local laws, period. you can do this- it will be fun (when done) don't let mom change her mind after two rooms are done.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
My folks completely rewired an old Victorian many years ago. **** and tube, and a wooden fuse box were still hot, in addition to badly done non-permitted work added later.

They paid for a couple hours of a local electrician's time. A sit down before the job for suggestions on how to do it up to code, where was the best shop for the needed materials, and what the local inspectors were picky about.

Afterward, we had him over to check the work before the official inspection (no problems).

Considering what it could cost to have to redo something (or worse, have a fault cause a problem later) I think it was money well spent. Worked well for the electrician too. He was really busy, but had work in the area, and he didn't mind picking up a little cash for stopping in for a cup of coffee after work a couple times.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:19 AM

I did quite a bit of work at my place including going from overhead to under ground lead in, a 400 amp meter base and 200 amp disconect for the barn. I called the inspector before I started and asked him to stop by when he had a minute. 45 minutes of chatting during which I asked him what he'd like to see went a long ways toward getting it right the first time. When he came back for the final he asked me if he could bring some contractors by to show them how it was supposed to be done. Got a kick out of that.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:08 PM

I myself dont think that id wire a new house. I did wire my own basement when i was working on finishing it tho.

my reasons were not due to my lack of knowledge. but more of lack of time. Construction interest rates were high. and every day i would of spent trying to wire the place myself would of been more money in interest payments.