Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

generator silencer

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
generator silencer

I just got a new generator and while it's pretty quiet it could be quieter. I know that you can make a homemade silencer for a pistol using washers, do you think this can be done with a genny? Think it could hurt the motor by creating too much backpressure? Anyone ever do this and what was your results. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:11 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What did you get?

Most new(er) generators you may find are not as loud on the exhaust side as they are just "mechanically" noisy. My new one has a muffler very similar to a small car, the sound level on that side is pretty low (68 db over all at 21 ft.)
There are some other noise reduction mods that don't have to do with the exhaust.

I have read a little bit about venturi exhaust stacks, they look pretty easy to fab, do a search on rv.net
Old 09-25-2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
What did you get?

Most new(er) generators you may find are not as loud on the exhaust side as they are just "mechanically" noisy. My new one has a muffler very similar to a small car, the sound level on that side is pretty low (68 db over all at 21 ft.)
There are some other noise reduction mods that don't have to do with the exhaust.

I have read a little bit about venturi exhaust stacks, they look pretty easy to fab, do a search on rv.net
It's a chinese Honda knock off. I think it's 67db which is quiet but I'm never satisfied with what I have and really just want an excuse to piddle. I don't want to create too much backpressure and tear something up. What about building a shroud around it? Can it still disapate heat ok?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What brand is it? kipor? The fully unclosed are better. Also the inverter type are even better. Put both together and they are great. I just got a Kipor deisel and I love it. It's rated at about 69 db, but being deisel, it's a lower sound than gas. I would avoid gas unless it was a Honda or Kipor. The 3000 of both models are insanely quiet. I had to ask if the Kipor 3000 was running when I heard it.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by charliez
What brand is it? kipor? The fully unclosed are better. Also the inverter type are even better. Put both together and they are great. I just got a Kipor deisel and I love it. It's rated at about 69 db, but being deisel, it's a lower sound than gas. I would avoid gas unless it was a Honda or Kipor. The 3000 of both models are insanely quiet. I had to ask if the Kipor 3000 was running when I heard it.
It's a 3000W gen/inverter called a power ????. Also sold as a pit bull generator. Like I said, it's a knock off and I only paid $225 for it but for the price I couldn't pass it up.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:06 PM
P.J
Banned

Yeah, I just got the sister model to that one (I believe yours is red? mine is yellow with the RV plug on it).

There is a 270 some page thread on these Chinese units over on the RV site.

I have got some great tips on enclosures and general quieting of these generators. There are some pics of what people have tried, some guys even have sound meters to PROVE the differences.

There is a common response to generator questions on many forums, it is "Unless it say's Honda, it's junk". I laugh at these types. I only paid $360.00 my unit, it will run anything two of the iu's will and with some minor mods, I can make it just a quite.

There is no longer a need to drop $1,000+ on a portable geny, the JD (honda knock offs) are a proven unit. Last I heard over 300,000 have beed sold in the US alone (champion models, that is) They have A+ customer service too.

Check out Here:http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...1/page/209.cfm
Old 09-25-2006, 06:23 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
If the generator can be anchored in one place then I can suggest something that has worked very well for me in the past.
Using the next size (diameter) up pipe, pipe the exhaust outside and then down to a buried 5 gallon steel bucket. Punch a series of holes in the bucket for condensation drainage and use a gravel or crushed stone base for the bucket to sit on. End the exhaust about 3 inches from the bottom. On the opposite side of the bucket and using a pipe the next size up again, make the outlet and go as high as you want to. Support as required.
This method will attenuate the exhaust sound to the point that it will be almost totally undetectable and all you will then hear is the mechanicals from the engine.
Depending on how the engine is mounted to the frame, ie solid mounted or flexible rubber, you may want to use a short section of hi-temp steel flex pipe to eliminate strain on the cylinder head.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Plain and simple, you get what you pay for, especially in generators. A $300 unit will be noisy. You can try to fully enclose it, but it will most likely run hot. An inverter type will alway run quieter. It makes 12 volts and inverts it to 120. The regular 120 volt generators varies it's power based on speed of the engine, so hence, the higher demand, the faster the rpm's. Also, if you have a unit that is fully loaded, it must run wide open at all times.

Don't skimp on the cords you use. A cord that is too light will require the unit to work harder.

If you are concearned about noise, get an inverter type, fully enclosed, and size it larger than you need. In other words, spend more money.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:36 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by charliez
Plain and simple, you get what you pay for, especially in generators. A $300 unit will be noisy.
Not mine? I wouldn't call 67 db. "noisey".
The regular 120 volt generators varies it's power based on speed of the engine, so hence, the higher demand, the faster the rpm's. Also, if you have a unit that is fully loaded, it must run wide open at all times.
Not mine. Runs the same all the time.
If you are concearned about noise, get an inverter type, fully enclosed, and size it larger than you need. In other words, spend more money.
As in over three times as much......

I bought mine so I could use it both camping and at home in emergencies.

I am past the line of thinking that I have to spend a fortune to get a product that does what I need it to.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:40 AM

I thought I had been had on my $225 generator. I've only ran it about 20 hrs and it started shutting down by itself. I instantly thought that I had some trash in the carb so I cleaned it, drained the tank and still had the problem. Later on I got to thinking about the low oil alert system but thought an alarm would go off. Wrong! I checked the oil and sure enough, I had not filled it up completely and it was low. At least now I know that I will not have to worry about running it low on oil.