Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Inverter or Generator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inverter or Generator?

Have this new travel trailer and the wife would really like to use her blow dryer. We do just a night or two at a time, not long stays and never where there are hook-ups.<br>I think the dryer is a 1600 watt unit. What would you recommend- an inverter run by the truck or a small generator that I could toss in the bed for the trip?<br>I have neither but am looking. Also the travel trailer has a micro but can't use that either, any ideas???<br><br>I hear the 12V blow dryers are no good.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:48 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Inverter or Generator?

A 1600 watt appliance on an inverter would take huge juice. Thats about 133 amps , or about the draw of your pre-heaters.. Not to mention that you would only be able to do that for a short period of time. <br><br>An inverter is fine for small appliances like TV's or radios, stuff under 500 watts. For the money I would go with a good little generator, a 2000W inverter is big $$$.<br><br>IMHO J-eh
Old 06-21-2003, 03:07 AM
Chapter President

A small portable generator should do the job....they come in handy for other uses also....Ive used my generator at the house after a storm knocked out the electric
Old 06-21-2003, 07:10 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Recently I have been doing some research on the internet for inverters and have found that a modified sine wave inverter running 2000 watts continuous with 4000 watt surge runs around $280, Another one, a 2000 watt continuous and a 4500 surge sells for $290. Not that bad. However, as noted previously, you could not run the dryer at 1600 watts for very long. Generators are notoriously noisy so maybe you could consider the inverter and start the truck while your wife is drying her hair.<br> For a hair dryer you don't need a full sine wave converter which is VERY expensive.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:56 AM

I would go with the generator. I have two - a small 1800 Coleman whch is NOISY and anoying, but it works, and a Honda 3000 watt. The Honda is so quiet that you can talk with someone right next to it, without raising your voice. However, it is a little pricey, about $1500 but worth the price if you still want to have friends in the campground! ;D<br><br>Now I use the Coleman for work to charge batteries, etc. <br><br>I looked at inverters for camping, but I needed a longer use pattern and enough to run the A/C, on really hot days so the baby can take a nap, which is less and less these days. <br><br>Nik
Old 06-21-2003, 09:57 AM

You could take her for a drive with the windows down. ;D
Old 06-21-2003, 10:32 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

[quote author=Nevada link=board=11;threadid=16158;start=0#151827 date=1056207427]<br>You could take her for a drive with the windows down. ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, but will this provide her with the hairstyle she wants?
Old 06-21-2003, 05:54 PM
cp

http://www.southwestfastener.com/default.htm<br><br>They run specials on generators from time to time including free shipping. They are not who I bought mine from, however, and I can't find the link. It's a place in Florida with a three letter name like IOE or EOE or something like that...something Equipment Outlet. I needed a bigger generator and got a Porter Cable 5500 W continuous, 8000 W surge generator for $475 delivered to my door. The little ones were considerably less. <br><br>I would go with the generator. You'll be surprised at how handy they are. My cheap PC is a big, clumsy, loud and probably short lived contraption when compared to the Hondas and Yamahas, but it was....cheap. And it does the job. Any real diesel-head would look at Robin's. I did, but couldn't afford.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:14 PM

You might want to check out the new Lightweight, quiet Inverter Generators. Honda has the EU series. The generator produces a true sine wave power. They are higher in price than convential generators but two of these units can be connected together with a special power cord for double the output. <br><br>Honda Inverter Generators<br><br>I believe that Hitachi has also introduced their line also. They have a unique feature which draws from a connected 12 volt battery when extra power is needed for short periods of time, afterward to recharge battery when surplus power is available.<br><br>These generators operate at lower RPMs when less power is needed, as load increases so does the RPM. <br><br>I have seen demonstrations of these and they are beginning to sell like hot-cakes.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:15 PM

You might want to check out the new Lightweight, quiet Inverter Generators. Honda has the EU series. The generator produces a true sine wave power. They are higher in price than convential generators but two of these units can be connected together with a special power cord for double the output. <br><br>Honda Inverter Generators<br><br>I believe that Hitachi has also introduced their line also. They have a unique feature which draws from a connected 12 volt battery when extra power is needed for short periods of time, afterward to recharge battery when surplus power is available.<br><br>These generators operate at lower RPMs when less power is needed, as load increases so does the RPM. <br><br>I have seen demonstrations of these and they are beginning to sell like hot-cakes. With these you get the best of both a generator and an inverter at the same time
Old 06-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Matt,<br>You have a couple of problems. You say you only stay a couple days, but your wife wants to wash her hair and use a 1600 watt hair dryer. 1) washing the hair uses a lot of water, and if not hooked up, and only a couple of days - - well, you get the idea; 2) a 1600 watt dryer is a pretty good size one. How about getting her one of the smaller travel units if she insists on washing her hair for only a couple of nights. These are more in the 1000 w size.<br><br>If you wish to have a 2000 watt inverter, you are going to need at least 2 batteries. You could then run the micro also. Not long, but it would work. If that is all you want to do with the inverter, a cheaper unit would work fine. If you want to run electronic equipment, you would want, minimum, a good quality modified sine wave unit - - these many times come with high output, multi-stage battery chargers. These are much more efficient and higher output than the converters our units normally have. If you want really good quality AC, you would need a true sine wave inverter such as the Prosine. The 2000 watt Prosine will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 to 1800 dollars, but it is good. It has a multistage 100 amp battery charger and will replace your converter. <br><br>For a lot less money, you could get the genny mentioned by Sierra Phil. Very good units and quiet. Do not confuse the name Charger/Inverter to mean you can use it as an inverter and get AC without the generator running - - it has to run to have AC. You would then be able to recharge your batteries as well as have AC when camping.<br><br>
Old 06-23-2003, 10:04 AM

i would go with the generator myself, this way when wifey is done with her hair, its time to power up the BLENDER ;D ;D ;D ;D
Old 06-24-2003, 10:57 AM

[quote author=dodgedude361 link=board=11;threadid=16158;start=0#152398 date=1056380657]<br>i would go with the generator myself, this way when wifey is done with her hair, its time to power up the BLENDER ;D ;D ;D ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey, No need for a generator for a blender! Check this out ;D Gas Blender
Old 06-24-2003, 11:30 AM

I like the Onan by Cummins. Quieter than a Honda. Just as reliable.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:16 PM

[quote author=Mr. 45 link=board=11;threadid=16158;start=0#152769 date=1056470259]<br>[quote author=dodgedude361 link=board=11;threadid=16158;start=0#152398 date=1056380657]<br>i would go with the generator myself, this way when wifey is done with her hair, its time to power up the BLENDER ;D ;D ;D ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey, No need for a generator for a blender! Check this out ;D Gas Blender<br>[/quote]<br><br>Wonder if Wally World is running a 2 fer special? One fer me and one fer Yu.

Quick Reply: Inverter or Generator?