Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

generator opinions, please

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 02:56 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
generator opinions, please

I have a Generac 5000w generator that I bought used. Took it to a shop to check it over and found out some interesting info. I just wanted your opinions on this. I was told that all of these $400-$600 generators you can buy are junk. They arent ment to be run for any length of time or they simply fall apart. The motors run at to high of an RPM and they cant take the vibrations of the non-balanced motor. They are just ment for a quick run to power something or for emergency power outs. 200 hours is probably limit. Says he junks around a half a dozen a year. Should I sell this thing before it breaks? I want a generator that I can take camping to run my electrical and A/C for hours on end. So I hear that requires no less than 5000w. But man they are heavy. Kinda hard getting the wife to help me load an unload this tub everytime I want to go camping, maybe theres no way around that since I'm sure they all weigh a ton. Being so loud I have to put it far from the TT. Now I have a question. If I cant run this generator for a long time then what special kind do RV's have in them. They run for hours. I asked what he sells and he showed me a Kubota ARX6500. Looks nice and its around $1900. What do you think? Has anyone used this one? What do you guys use? Do I need so many watts? I want to go camping but now I'm leery to take my generator and run it for hours on end.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:28 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:generator opinions, please

My neighboor up the street had a Generac 5000 and it was pretty decent. I have a Generac 6500 Construction/Contractor grade with forced lubrication with the oil filter and everything. It handles everything in the house very well and has on several ocassions. I was looking for a small diesel generator to hook up to my heating oil tank but have not found one yet. Honda generators are very reliable and very quiet but also very pricy so it depends on what you want. I am facing the same dilema now, I want power and air on my GN trailer. I looked at one in Home Depot yesterday for about $549. It would do alright for what I want it for on there. The bottm line is the more you spend, the better generator you get.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

A Honda 3000w is quiet and seems pretty reliable. It may run your AC if it is a high efficiency 13,500 BTU, but it will nothing else at the same time. Some guys buy two Honda 2000 w to do the job. 4000w will run an AC. I have the Onan Marquis - - very quiet, efficient, runs everything at the same time, plus it is propane so burns clean, no mess with gasoline, and no problems with fouled fuel or fuel system if I have not run it for a month or two. It is a little more money, but it is permanent mount, push a button and we are running.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote author=FiverBob link=board=11;threadid=16814;start=0#157696 date=1057680510]<br>I have the Onan Marquis - - very quiet, efficient, runs everything at the same time, plus it is propane so burns clean, no mess with gasoline, and no problems with fouled fuel or fuel system if I have not run it for a month or two. It is a little more money, but it is permanent mount, push a button and we are running. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Do you have more info on this generator?
Old 07-08-2003, 12:36 PM

Kinda like Fiver Bob, I will wind up with the Onan quiet diesel (instead of propane). It is very quiet, used as a generator in many of the Class &quot;A&quot;s, but it is a bit pricey. The pricey part is what you pay for longevity and continuous power output. If the Generac is working for you now, I would recommend using it until it starts giving you problems or no longer serves your needs, then upgrade to what is available then - they are always adding new features each year. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:52 PM

I got rid of a generac 5000 for most of the same reasons, mostly the noise. I ended up with a honda eb 3500. Have to fill it up every 8 hours or so but I have run it all weekend long several times now with no problems. It is a LOT quieter than the generac. I took some I-beams and added them to the trailer frame to support a frame on the back of the trailer. I take it off and move it away when we are settled for a few days but we can run it on the frame and still be ok inside. it runs the a/c and tv no problem. I usually cut the a/c compressor off when I run the microwave just to make sure I don't trip anything. Made a small adapter cord so that I can use the 3 prong 25 amp plug on the generator.

I would like to switch to a 4000 watt propane model in a few years if I can find one I like. I don't like having to haul gas, propane would be lots easier. Eventually when I get rich and famous (fiverbob, take a bow) I would like to have one built in. Have to wait till the next trailer for that though.

I have seen several people running the 3000 watt invertor honda's. They are really quiet. Seems like they would be just a bit short of startup power for an a/c unit but people are getting away with it. Also have seen several 2000 watt units running in parallel. Nice thing about that is that if you aren't in a/c season you can run just one and they are super quiet.

btw, I rigged a small harness and now use my engine hoist to lift the generator. My wife has lots of heart but not much muscle. Now I just back the trailer up to the garage, hook up the hoist and lift it off. Takes just a couple of minutes. After the gen is off I park the trailer back the truck up to the garage and pull the fifth hitch, put it next to the generator and put the hoist away. No more strained back and mad wife.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:18 PM

try this for more info on the Onan:<br><br>http://www.onan.com/onan/rvgenerator...torDisplay.jsp<br><br>Onan is even made by cummins. ;D
Old 07-08-2003, 05:39 PM

[quote author=Diesel fitter link=board=11;threadid=16814;start=0#157722 date=1057685597]<br>Do you have more info on this generator?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Butchera gave you the e-link. I have the Marquis Gold 6500 watt. I have had three gassers and one diesel. The diesel was the most efficient on fuel, but the most problems with trying to keep fresh fuel in the unit. It was on my diesel pusher which would sit for a month or two at times. I always tried to come home with near empty fuel tanks so I could go put some fresh fuel in it after a month or so. The gassers would crud up the carbs real quick if not run on a regular basis. The only problem I have had with this propane unit is a mis-adjusted governor. Once it was adjusted it has been a sweet machine. Between that and my 2000w Prosine inverter/charger, I am pretty happy with the electric situation on this fiver. The Onan costs a little more, but so did my Cummins. I got what I paid for in quality. 8)
Old 07-08-2003, 06:58 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks to everyone for all the replys. ;D
Old 07-15-2003, 07:20 PM

I have the EU 3000 from honda. Up here in alaska we have never used the ac yet, but the thing is quiet. 59 db quiet. I looked into a home depot generator and thought hell yeah, 6000 watts of power. They let me start it up and the wife said hell no. It was 550 bucks. We (she) opted for the honda EU 3000 because of the electric start and quietness. We have used it up to 25 below zero and fires up fine. We can run the coffee pot, microwave, toaster at one time. I dont know what it takes to get AC started but I know it puts out some power. Another option that someone stated is to run two 2000 EU's in parallel. A buddy has one and it is 61db at full throttle. 4000 in parallel. They are about 1000 bucks a piece but no electric start. It fires up pretty easy though. Plus the 2000 is about 100 lbs lighter than the 3000 and much smaller in size. I would recommend running the 2 2000's in parallel. If I would do it again thats what I would do. No matter what you do the honda's are quiet and that means alot at camp. Plus they last forever.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:42 AM
Chapter President

I have the Onan MicroLite 2800 in my transport trailers and have been using this model for 5 years without any problems<br>Two of my trailers have living quarter's and the Onan is mounted next to the bed in the overhang....these are quite units and with a 27 gal fuel tank they run a long time the oldest unit has over 9000 hours on it and still puts out 25 amps<br>I carry a very large fan with a non capacitor start motor when this fan starts it will bog the Onan down but it regains speed quickly.....over all I am very happy with the Onan
Old 07-17-2003, 09:35 PM

I had the same problem with the weight of a single, large generator; Getting two Honda Eu 2000I's &amp; running them in parallel with a cordset I made solved that problem; they are the quietest units around &amp; each weighs, I think, 46 pounds - no problem moving them around!<br><br>The two together easily run the 13.5k a/c on my old trailer, together with everything else electric in there.<br><br>And, when I don't need Air, I can just bring one...<br><br>All in all, a very elegant solution. ;D<br><br>Rene
Old 07-17-2003, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been debating the generator question for sometime. Today, I made the leap and ordered the Honda EU2000i. Don't have the money for two, but may add the second unit next year.<br><br>I decided that since I don't have room to mount a generator, I might as well get one that I can move without getting a hernia. The side benefit is having something I can run at home or easily take with me for any other power need situation. <br><br>Plus, the Honda is the quietest generator made. Since my primary use will be camping, that was important. I got the chance to hear the Honda next to an Onan MicroQuiet and there was a significant volume difference. I don't want to feel embarassed everytime I run the generator within earshot of other camps.<br><br>If you want a Honda, get one now. Honda is reducing the supply and raising the wholesale price to all the dealers. Mayberry's price jumped $100 in June and their delivery times are at least a month out. They only expect it to get worse. Big Sky Power in Montana has a few in stock at very good prices. $899 to my door.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:28 PM

I had a generac 4000 for about 15years finally gave up the ghost, only it happened while out camping. so we went into Bend, Or. and had a solar panel ,4-6volt batteries and a 1000 watt inverter installed. dont need a generator any more and i dont miss the noise either.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:48 PM

[quote author=WDS41 link=board=11;threadid=16814;start=0#161911 date=1058668104]<br>I had a generac 4000 for about 15years finally gave up the ghost, only it happened while out camping. so we went into Bend, Or. and had a solar panel ,4-6volt batteries and a 1000 watt inverter installed. dont need a generator any more and i dont miss the noise either.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Dang those batteries go dead in a hurry running my air conditioners.

Quick Reply: generator opinions, please