Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

mounting options for a generator on back of a tt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 09:53 PM
j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mounting options for a generator on back of a tt?

i usually take my generator when camping without hookups, but i have to leave it in my truck. i was thinking of mounting it on the rear of the trailer, but how? if anyone has done this can you post a picture please and what you did? thanks.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re:mounting options for a generator on back of a tt?

Don't know if this will help or not but here is what my partner and I did to our tool truck. <br><br>The truck started life as a school bus. We added a shelf welded to the rear bumper. The generator is bolted to that with tamper proof bolts. We use this on a daily basis to run a roof air unit as well as other electrical needs on the job.<br><br>The only problem I can see is the extra 350 lbs sitting there all the time and the fact that one of these days, one of use is going to run it into something.<br><br>By the way, we can still pull trailers. Does not stick out too far.<br><br>Don't have any pictures, but if you want more info let me know.<br>ED
Old 07-17-2003, 10:46 PM

J:<br><br>I have a 2&quot; receiver tube mounted to the rear bumper of the trailer.<br><br>I also have a basket that fits into this &amp; will support 500#.<br><br>When I want to run the generators off the ground, I put them both up on the basket (with the exhaust facing away from the trailer) &amp; run them.<br><br>Hope this gives you ideas....
Old 07-17-2003, 11:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a tongue up front, and room, you might consider mouting it there, as it would be better protected.<br>Read the generator opinions thread. Someone else was talking about how they mounted theirs.<br><br>https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=16814<br><br>Chris
Old 07-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hanging weight in the back does two things from handling aspect: 1) reduces tongue weight, and 2) increasing the mass behind the rear axles of the trailer exacerbates the &quot;tail wagging the dog&quot; principle from a leverage aspect.

Reducing tongue weight may be all right in some cases, but usually it is not. The wag problem is never good. This wag problem is reduced if the weight is added to the tongue, but that may exceed tongue weight ratings. HHMMMMM ???
Old 07-21-2003, 01:37 AM
j

i dont think tongue weight is gonna be effected very much on my trailer. i think it's over 300#'s and i have a large rear storage area in my trailer that is always empty. so adding the generator to the back wont make a big difference in my example. now lighter trailers i can see this being a problem. all the weight i have added to the trailer (tv,dishes,chairs,etc.) is in the front of the trailer, so i think it may balance it out a little (like more proportioned). i was thinking of welding a piece of square stock to the frame and making a cross member to mount a hitch/receiver to. i think drawtite sells one, but it is like $300 and you still have to weld it. just looking for other peoples ideas.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J,<br><br>I really like the idea of of a receiver hitch and a basket or platform carrier on the back also. The reason is because of the felxibility. If you aren't hauling the generator, you can remove the platform and slide in an inexpensive bike carrier or other add-ons. I plan to add one on my trailer some day.<br><br>The weight issue is something to be aware of and should be planned for. Since a travel trailer usually has a fulcrum that is only slightly behind center, any weight sitting that far back on the frame is exaggerated compared to cargo inside the trailer. It will cause a reduction in tongue weight that can sometimes be pretty close to the weight of the item itself. The actual reduction is dependant on too many variables to list.<br><br>The same is true for any item mounted on the A-frame in front of the trailer. It will impact tongue weight much more than if it were inside the trailer. That's why a second battery on the A-frame can be a great way to offset some of the weight of a rear mounted generator.<br><br>The important thing to consider is that no matter how light or heavy the trailer, a rear mounted generator will impact toungue weight. And the heavier the trailer, the more critical proper tongue weight is to the handling of the trailer and the tow vehicle. <br><br>The only way to accurately judge tongue weight is with a scale. I think everybody should get their trailer weighed in fully loaded condition to determine both overall weight and tongue weight at least occasionally. Real world numbers tend to be very surprising when compared to expected weight.