Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Can I weld my own custom sized on board air tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
If you get a used tank, get it inspected. That way it can be checked internally for pitting/rusting which could lead to a tank rupture. Better to be on the safe side with air tanks/cylinders.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Do not try to weld your own air tank unless you are a certified welder or at least really confident you know how to weld boilers and pressure vessels, not being mean or anything.

You could find a pipeline welder welding a gas line somewhere and give him a case of beer and have him weld some 1” thick flanges onto the ends of your pipe for you.

Jim
"Case of beer" welders don't work for beer. They like $$$
Old 07-24-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roughstock
Plus, I leave tonight for rodeos, Ive go one each night for the next three days, I'll be away from the shop for a bit.
If you have even a little time out on the road, try to find a big truck wrecking yard. You shouldn't have to pay THAT much for a used tank.

Tony
Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can weld "weld caps" to pipe with a lot of confidence. Any reasonably good welder can do it at home and have good results. Then either weld on a half coupling somewhere and drill through or just drill a hole in the weld cap and tap it to the pipe size you want. You can also easily do a hydrostatic test on your vessel when done. Test to twice the working psi. This is easily done by filling the tank completely with water, then put a tee in the end with a gauge on one side and a zerk fitting on the other side. Use a grease gun to run the pressure up to about 300 PSI. It cannot explode because it's full of water and for additional safety you can set it in a barrel of water to dampen a suddedn break.

You can find a lot of room under the truck by running the exhaust out the side in front of the rear wheel. I did this and it made room for a five gallon tank alongside the fuel tank.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:54 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raspy
You can weld "weld caps" to pipe with a lot of confidence. Any reasonably good welder can do it at home and have good results. Then either weld on a half coupling somewhere and drill through or just drill a hole in the weld cap and tap it to the pipe size you want. You can also easily do a hydrostatic test on your vessel when done. Test to twice the working psi. This is easily done by filling the tank completely with water, then put a tee in the end with a gauge on one side and a zerk fitting on the other side. Use a grease gun to run the pressure up to about 300 PSI. It cannot explode because it's full of water and for additional safety you can set it in a barrel of water to dampen a suddedn break.

You can find a lot of room under the truck by running the exhaust out the side in front of the rear wheel. I did this and it made room for a five gallon tank alongside the fuel tank.
Raspy, a pressure ticket is given for a reason. Be careful when welding pressure containers