HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

my truck shut off on me

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might be a little off on my last post -- the hidden code might be in the Fuel Pump Control Module? In that case, I don't think you can read that with the OBDII, but more knowledgeable members hopefully will chime in here with the definitive information.

I have read of many instances of VP44 failure where the code was never set. I think it might be a case of the electronics required to set the code are actually the part that dies, therefore no true code comes up. Just a theory. The original VP44 models had design problems with both the internal fit and finish, and the electronics control module on top. Heat soaking would crystalize the solder, vibration would break connections, and poor deburring and part fitting resulted in pumps siezing and shafts breaking. Those types of failures are the instant death failures, though some of the electronic ones could be preceded by periods of "dead pedal" or motor cut out. The timing failure, like I have, can be sudden if the timing piston siezes in the bore, or it can last for a long time, resulting in hard starts, loss of power and mileage, and lack of pedal response.

I have had slowly deteriorating performance for about 8 months, and the code showing for 19. (I looked at my receipt from Cummins for my Lift pump, and it was for July 2005!!) My truck has been very good to me, with that original lift pump lasting until 17Xk miles before malfunctioning, and if I didn't catch the low fuel pressure, I might have burned up the VP44 right away. I limped the truck 15 miles home, and replaced the lift pump that night. Unfortunately, what I read about low pressure resulting in a ruptured diaphragm must have some merit, since the P0216 was set, and so on down I go.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by TexMexCowboy
I hope that it is not the VP44 i have not had anyproblems before this no lose of power or anything plus i checked and i cannot hear the lift pump turn on at all.
I hope so too! If it is the VP44, there are many options for remanufactured units out there. Check with Industrial Injection, Blue Chip, Midwest Fuel Injection, etc., and consider the options. Take ALL of our suggestions with a grain of salt, as we all tend to defend our choices the loudest and can become adamant that our solution to your problem is the best. Dig for the facts, looking long and hard at the details, being truthful to yourself with where YOU want to take your truck. Adding power can be addictive, and making some sacrifices now may frustrate you (and cost more money) down the road without proper planning.

If you want a lot of horsepower, then a Hotrod VP may not be your best bet, as the electronics upgrade you pay for in that pump are bypassed when a power module is added for fueling and timing control. If you are going to keep your chip, then get another stock pump. I don't remember, and I can't see your signature while I write this, but do you have a Standard Output (SO) or a High Output (HO) truck? Easy way to tell is do you have a 5 spd manual or auto (both SO in '01), or do you have a 6 spd. manual(HO in '01)? Some posts onhere confirm that the Hotrod VP44 on a stock truck is awesome, but no power gains are realized when a modest chip is added since the high power electronics on the pump are bypassed. You can easily build your post count reading VP44 threads and asking lots of questions!!! Most all of the information I have been regurgitating here I learned on this site, working on my truck, reading tech articles online, or from similar forums. People on here have a very deep knowledge of our trucks and most are very willing to share!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well my truck is auto and I am not sure what the chip i have is really made for i think the guy that had it before he put it on there so when he is pulling something it would give him the power he needs. I really don’t want a hot rod truck; I am aiming more for power, strength. I am going to order the lift pump they have here on the site here and Lord willing that is the problem. But I think that is the cheapest way to go right now.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:53 AM

Even if the new lift pump kit you install doesn't cure your problem, you have just upgraded the single weakest link in our 24v fueling system. If you have to replace the VP44, the new pumps have been upgraded 27 times since introduction in 98.5, so you will have a much better injection pump than was stock in '01. The electronics are stronger, much more heat and vibration resitant, and mechanical fit/finish are much improved. Be sure to call in your order to get the best DTR member discount on the kit!!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:44 PM

I called the number and they said that the price on there is the cheapest they can give me. I will info you when i get the lift pump and install it and tell you how everything goes. Question is it hard to install? Like i said before i am a rookie at diesels put an old school car in front of me and i can work on it but these diesels i am barely learning everything I need to learn about them. This truck has been the best Birthday Present I have ever received and I plan to make this truck last me a long time. Can you give me pointers one where this pump is going to go is it going in the same place that the old one is at or does it go somewhere else?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:15 PM

I called the number and they said that the price on there is the cheapest they can give me. I will info you when i get the lift pump and install it and tell you how everything goes. Question is it hard to install? Like i said before i am a rookie at diesels put an old school car in front of me and i can work on it but these diesels i am barely learning everything I need to learn about them. This truck has been the best Birthday Present I have ever received and I plan to make this truck last me a long time. Can you give me pointers one where this pump is going to go is it going in the same place that the old one is at or does it go somewhere else?
Shouldn't be difficult to install at all. I have large hands and Popeye forearms, and find it isn't bad in our engine bay. The important thing to remember is the banjo fittings have 2 sealing washers. I have had the washers stick to the mounting point before and accidently stacked another washer on top followed by the banjo fitting. This has ALWAYS resulted in frustrating fuel leaks that actually got worse as I tightened down the fitting, distorting BOTH inside washers. Double check and count them as you remove them. Which kit are you getting? I am working off of the Vulcan Perf. website pricing fittings for my pump install, and might just go for a prepared kit. The price difference isn't looking to be huge.

Nice conversing with you! Hopefully we will both get our systems converted/updated and meet sometime! If you make it to the Omaha/Council Bluffs area, I will try to hook up with you, as I am not too far from there!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:08 PM

that sounds kool well i got the one that they have here on the site i think it is the glacier model. well i am kind of hoping that it is not hard to put on I have been thinking if i should do it my self or send it to a shop and have them do it. i am also thinking in buying the Quadzilla Commander that is on the site here they tell me that it is realy good.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:06 PM

ok yesterday i installed my lift pump and yall were right it was not hard to install i got it on. Well now i have fuel going everywhere to the filter and to the injector pump i tried bleading the injectors three of them are spitting fuel but the other three are not and it still is not turning on. So what else is there to do i know my injector pump is working becouse i get fuel out of three of the injectors but i cant get fuel out of the front two the very back one i cant reach it to losen it up. My Uncle said that it should be turning on even if only three injectors are shooting fuel out. oh yea the very first injector will bubble like if fuel is coming but there is to much air in there. my uncle told me to get a rag with gas and to put it in where the air cleaner is at and maybe it comes on. what do you guys think i should do?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM

Whatever you do, DON'T use the gas rag in the air cleaner. Diesels don't work using starting fluid or any other type of primer. Did you let the fuel pump cycle a few times before you tried to start it? It sounds like you installed and then tried a full start. That is a no-no. You first have to turn your key like you're going to start the truck and just "bump" the starter but DON'T start the truck. This will allow the fuel pump to run for about 25 seconds. This will cycle fuel through the system (filter, lines) and get the air out of the system. There is a lot of air in the system, especially the glacier type of install. It will take at least 5-6 of these lift pump cycles to get all the air in the system purged out. At least it took me that many and I still had to crank 3 unsuccessful times to get it started after the install. Also, and this is important, when you do go to fire it up AFTER you've purged the air, hold down the throttle pedal about half way down. Hope this helps and please let us know how it's coming.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:35 PM

Well i did try what you said and it still has not started. I hate to say this but i tried the rag thing before i read this and it turned on but it was missing then it shut off after a while. i only tried it once and it came on once it came on i put took the rag off and it was running for a while by itself but then it shut off and it wont come back on. Tomorrow I am taking it to a place and let them work on it I tried doing what i could. thank yall for the help
Old 03-11-2007, 11:43 PM

It sounds like there is a LOT of air in your high-pressure fuel lines. Hopefully they will be able to purge it all and get her running right again.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:12 AM

yea i hope so also i miss her big time. i have been driving a two wheel gas engine truck and man i feel short big time i already am and driving in a small truck it drives me crazy. anyways man have a good one ill keep you guys up to date
Old 03-22-2007, 11:51 AM

Hey guys my baby is back and running I did change everything the lift pump and the injection pump, BUT I saved $2000 doing it myself well except the injection pump i had somebody put it in for me. The Dealer wanted $4000 to do it and i did it for $2000 and i have a high performance lift pump thats somthing they would have not been able to do. Well guys thanks for the help in everything I am about to perchase a fuel pressure guage so i can put it on. Thanks yall for everything.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:38 PM

Hey guys my baby is back and running I did change everything the lift pump and the injection pump, BUT I saved $2000 doing it myself well except the injection pump i had somebody put it in for me. The Dealer wanted $4000 to do it and i did it for $2000 and i have a high performance lift pump thats somthing they would have not been able to do. Well guys thanks for the help in everything I am about to perchase a fuel pressure guage so i can put it on. Thanks yall for everything.
Good deal, glad to hear your up and goin. I wouldn't just stop at a fuel pressure gauge with the mods your planning. You will at least need a pyro and now your talking two gauges so you might as well get a 3 gauge cluster and put in a tranny gauge. And then if you feel fancy, put a boost gauge in the cubby hole on the dash. Then you will be set and will know exactly what your truck in doing at all times and you will be better able to diagnose problems.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:11 PM

well since you say that i'll tell you what i am planing to buy is the commander they offer here. It does all that and more. you should check it out