HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

my truck shut off on me

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well I have not done anything becouse it never turned on after it shut off that one day. If the lift pump went bad is it possible that i did not know? Is it possible to run it and the lift pump is bad? what would it do if the lift pump was out?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:55 AM
FD5

It is possible to run with a bad lift pump but you will know it. It will cut out and feel like the engine is mis-firing (Lack of continuous fuel). I would change out the lift pump and go from there.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

OK -- First are you stranded somewhere? If not, see "Fourth" below. If you are, then the Cummins replacement lift pump may be your option.

Second, to see if you have fuel pressure with the truck not running, you need to connect the fuel pressure test gauge to the shrader valve, and "bump" the starter -- don't crank the engine, just goose it a bit, letting the key go back to "ON". If your lift pump is good, it should run for a several seconds and pressure to the VP44 should come up to somewhere around 13 to 15 psi.

Third: How much fuel is in the tank? If you have a broken or cracked fuel line, you may have run the system out of fuel, requiring the system to be bled before it will run. If you hear the lift pump run (very audible, even from the cab if the engine isn't running) then it is possible you are out of fuel. I have read on this forum of fuel tank pickup tubes wearing a hole in them from a sheetmetal screw in the assembly, causing them to suck air at a half tank. If the tank is full, it could be a bad line or hose along the frame from the tank to the lift pump.

Fourth: The factory designed lift pumps are not an appropriate part for our application -- they are overworked and WILL fail. Replacement with a better pump is much preferred. If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to install either a Bosch or Walbro gerotor pump, bypass fuelline, and replace your VP44 for around $2000 or less total out of pocket. I am doing this right now, with parts sourced from many of this site's vendors. The DTR performance shop has some very nice ready made lift pump replacement/upgrade kits at really good prices for site members. Keep us posted! We will try to help all we can...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:03 AM

cool. hey question should i put a BD Performance lift pump on there? Sombody told me that since i have a chip and bigger exhoust and i plan to add other things to it I should add a performance lift pump becouse the truck will ask for more fuel then what the stock lift pump will give you. What do you think? I never felt anything before the truck shut off on me the truck was running good when i was driving it never felt like it was mis-firing.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by FD5
It is possible to run with a bad lift pump but you will know it. It will cut out and feel like the engine is mis-firing (Lack of continuous fuel). I would change out the lift pump and go from there.
Not necessarily!!

I ran for several miles with low fuel pressure, and didn't know the lift pump died other than my gauge! The truck ran fine, no loss of power or stutter at all. Many people on here have driven for unknown days or weeks with a bad lift pump, only discovering the problem while changing a fuel filter and the system refused to re-prime. The VP44 has a vane pump inside it that can pull fuel on its own, just not enough to adequately supply injection and cooling/lubrication at the same time. Most VP's that run with low supplied fuel pressure develop the P0216 code, indicating timing failure. I read this is due to wear of the timing piston or something like it along with a ruptured diaphragm. My VP44 has had the P0216 for over a year and I have lost power and mileage, but the truck still runs and drives pretty well. Towing is slow and underpowered, but I can still get there and back.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:07 AM

well i am not stranded anywhere and my tank is full and i dont smell or see any gas anywhere on the ground that i have been under.i will check all the lines i can check and see what i see. I dont hear the lift pump starting now that you say that i do remember hearing it everytime i turned the key i allways heard it but now i dont. I will check the lift pump as soon as i get out of work. thanks alot for yalls help
Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by TexMexCowboy
cool. hey question should i put a BD Performance lift pump on there? Sombody told me that since i have a chip and bigger exhoust and i plan to add other things to it I should add a performance lift pump becouse the truck will ask for more fuel then what the stock lift pump will give you. What do you think? I never felt anything before the truck shut off on me the truck was running good when i was driving it never felt like it was mis-firing.
I think I kind of answered the question in a previous post. Definitely do something different with the lift pump setup. Days and Days worth of reading here on upgrades and replacements, some good, some bad. I am of the school that a high performance gerotor with the stock lines will supply plenty of diesel fuel for more horsepower than I plan to run, so I am going that route.

I forgot to mention this, but did you read your diagnostic codes?? On your 2001, you turn the key to On Off On Off On (leaving it in On) and the engine codes will be displayed in the Odometer window. There is a whole list of code interpretation in the TECH FACTS section of this site. Some codes are definitely worse than others. Like I mentioned, I have been driving with Injection Pump Timing Failure (P0216) for well over a year. Other VP44 codes for the electronics will be "instant death and require a new pump to move the truck again. "Thanks for playing!! We do not have any nice parting gifts for you, and please leave the $1000 to $1600 on the table on your way out thanks, Bu-Bye!"
Old 02-28-2007, 09:20 AM

lol well thanks for the input on how to get the codes I am going to check that as soon as i get a chance, and no i dont need any parting gift lol
Old 02-28-2007, 09:23 AM

Glad you aren't stranded. That saves you both money and time. If you want a ready made kit, I hear the Glaciers are good. The one I saw had the pressure regulator at the lift pump and I prefer it at the injection pump, but I think it can be moved wherever you want. My personal opinion on the BD lift pump system is that while the kit is high quality and seems to be put together well, it is still the facory style carburetor type lift pump and will fail again. Locating the pump off the engine to a frame rail eliminates the heat and vibration, extremely good, but the argument better to push than suck fuel has no real scientific proof.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:42 AM

ok thanks for telling me that i will look in to getting that glacier one if i am going to replace the lift pump i better get a good one that will last. Now where would i get this glacier kit? Do we have on here on this site
Old 02-28-2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by TexMexCowboy
ok thanks for telling me that i will look in to getting that glacier one if i am going to replace the lift pump i better get a good one that will last. Now where would i get this glacier kit? Do we have on here on this site
Research them to make an informed choice, but the Glacier kit is pretty complete. Look in the DTR Performance shop, and send a pm to Lary for the DTR price. Or give the number a call, as the number of pm's and e-mails Lary gets is pretty huge. Might take awhile to get a response. The glacier kits are more money than if you source out the basic parts to do the job yourself, but if you want a complete setup, fully engineered by someone else, I think they are a good one.

If you don't want to order from the DTR dtore for some reason, one of the regular banner ads for this site is from GDP, Glacier Diesel Power.

Hope this all helps, and good luck with your truck. Let us know what you find out on the codes and fuel pressure.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:00 PM

hey guys i checked the codes the way yall told me to do it. it gave me only one code and it is p1693 I looked it up and it says:

"P1693 (M) DTC Detected in Companion Module A fault has been generated in the companion engine
control module.

P1693 (M) DTC Detected in PCM/ECM or DTC
Detected in ECM
A 9Companion DTC9 was set in both the ECM and PCM."

I have no clue what they mean does anybody know? if anybody rather call me send me a PM and ill give you my number in a way i rather talk to somebody that knows all this.
thanks yall
Old 02-28-2007, 01:03 PM

I was reading on other web sites and would this couse it not to start?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:10 PM

This is the companion code that means another code has been setbut isn't one that is displayed. Sometimes it is nothing much, but I have read of several people getting that code and the hidden fault was the electronic death on the VP44. The only way for you to see the companion code is to use an OBDII Scanning tool, like a performance downloader or code reader from an auto parts store, or the dealer. If the dealer checked for codes and cleared them during their diagnostics at the start of your problem, then you might not have any new ones to show. Still kind of the guessing game. Did you try to bump the starter for the lift pump to come on?

If you have a friend with a code reader, they could hook up to the truck and tell you. I don't know if any DTR members are close to you that might have either a Smarty or a Superchips downlopader to read the codes for you, but that might be an option. I think the cheaper scan tools can be found at Wal-Mart for about 60 bucks, and I have seen several models at AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc. The code reader attaches to the diagnostic port under the dash, below the steering column. HTH...
Old 02-28-2007, 04:16 PM

kool well is there anybody out there that is close to me that has what he talks about I wouldnt mind the help thats for sure? I think i am going to order the lift pump that DTR offers here and i am going to install it on here I am also going to order a fuel pressure gauge from here and have all this installed Lord willing thats the problem. I hope that it is not the VP44 i have not had anyproblems before this no lose of power or anything plus i checked and i cannot hear the lift pump turn on at all.

Quick Reply: my truck shut off on me