HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Which lift pump to get

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which lift pump to get

A buddy of mine has a 99 CTD with a case of the lift pump blues and he is broke and doesnt have money for the full FASS so i want to know if the pump only is a good choice or what I should get for him? Im fronting him the money so I dont really want to dish out a bunch of $$$.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 08:28 AM

For about $100 you can get a Holly Blue pump, fuel hose and clamps at Advance Auto parts. This may not be the greatest, but it's a cheap fix that works. It has run fine on my 99 for a couple of years. DON'T install the pressure regulator that will likely come with the pump, let it run full pressure to the VP.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:40 AM

I had gone through two of them holley blue's in my old '02 and I was told they were not rated for diesel??? You have not had any issues with yours?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Call a Cummins distributer in your state and ask to purchase a lift pump under that new part number listed above. That LP fits our trucks and costs $65 as opposed to $200; the sales reps are supposed to ask for your engine vin number and your business' name but they rarely do (this is to verify that this lower priced LP will be used in a bus, ambulance etc and not a dodge truck). I bought 2 LPs under the different part number from the Richmond, Va Cummins for $67 a peice, shipping included and absolutely no questions asked!!!

Order one from a cummins distrib. while the gettins' good, I here this is only a part time deal--Good luck
P.S. If one distributer gives you a hard time just try another location in your state or go and get a vin number off a bus w/ a 24vlv 5.9 in it -Good Luck
This is from another thread in the forums about a Cummins lift pump replacement campaign. Here is a link to the thread Cummins Lift Pump Campaign Thread. The bottom line is that you could possibly get a "stock" lift pump for your friend's truck for under $70.

Edit: Here is the part number - PN 4090046
Old 05-09-2006, 04:37 PM

ok thanks. i had heard of this
Old 05-10-2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Brad02ctd
I had gone through two of them holley blue's in my old '02 and I was told they were not rated for diesel??? You have not had any issues with yours?
You are correct. But I figured that if it will pump gasoline, and racing fuels with high levels of methanol in then then diesel should be a walk in the park. On the other hand, if you can find the stock pump like abrnrngr13 said I'd go that route. At the time I needed a pump to get the truck up and running everything I could find within 75 miles of me was $250 or more.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:38 AM

I tryed here in CT and was turned down. It could have been sweet.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I picked one of the Campaign pumps up from a Cummins dealer in Pittsburgh about a month ago ($69 out the door). I haven't installed it yet, but I think I may need to soon.

On the phone, the guy gave me the impression right from the start that he was not gonna let it go to just anyone, so I gave him my Company Name, and let him know that I use the truck for emergency structural investigations, which I do sometimes...

He asked how I got the part number and if my truck had any emergency lights... I said a friend who works on buses told me about it and it does have emergency lights (I figure an emergency stobe and a flashlight qualify). Then he asked what kind of truck and I told him a 99 with a 5.9 CTD and a lift - I guess he thought I meant bucket lift, although I meant 5" Tuff Country Lift, haha.

I borrowed my friend's car to go pick it up =)

Hope you can find a dealer who will work with you - I saw another post somewhere that had some alternate numbers for dealers in several states that would ship without any questions...