HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

03 wierd problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 wierd problem

truck will run fine then all of a sudden when you come to a stop the truck will drop in rpm to about 650 and you will have to hold the brakes to keep it from going through a intersection. if you realese the bake the truck will jump forward to about 8 mph then runs great. if you put the truck gear and push on the brake while it is doing its thing you have no controle of the gas pedal. it has a brand new trans in it and that feels awsome. this is wierd because it does it when it pleases hot moist cold whenever. then it goes away and i have a great truck???? had the truck to a dealer but they have no idea what it is doing???
Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Torque converter not releasing? Not sure from you description but that would be one place to start looking. Was it replaced with the tranny? If so might be defective?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I agree with donhov torque converter. Usually will get worse as engine and trans warm up.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:00 AM

but why does it come and go when it pleases it does not matter hot cold wet. when it wants to it does it.
why when you put it in gear and hold the brake you have no throttle you push to the floor and nothing happens. but when you release the brake and take off everything works great.
torque converter was replaced and had it to many shops and they thinks its computer???
Old 11-11-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by mckimar
but why does it come and go when it pleases it does not matter hot cold wet. when it wants to it does it.
why when you put it in gear and hold the brake you have no throttle you push to the floor and nothing happens. but when you release the brake and take off everything works great.
torque converter was replaced and had it to many shops and they thinks its computer???
Transmissions are not my specialty (even though im 50 and been working on autos 35 of them).
Go to your local junkyard or ebay and find yourself a used computer, if problem persists, go back to the guy who replaced your tranny and show him the proof.
Depending on what you find out, I say its the TC too.
Do the math, vehicle never did this before tranny repair = bad remanned TC.
Good luck.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Read this vehicle issue, sounds like your problem to me.
Vehicle Issue When Shifted Into Drive The Truck Will Try To Pull Forward Like The Torque Converter Is Trying To Lock. Has No Throttle Response At Idle In Drive. No Codes Are Setting.;Vehicle is equipped with a Cummins diesel engine. No codes are setting.
System or Component Idle Concern;Customer Concern (No DTCs),No Response;Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS),Torque Converter;Engine Idling;1st Gear;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously
Recommendation Check minimum APPS voltage. It should be approximately 0.5 volts. If above 0.5 volts check the throttle cable, speed control servo cable and transmission kick down cable for proper installation. If the ECM sees the throttle applied when the engine is started or the transmission is put in gear the ECM will default to idle. The engine will not respond to throttle input.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:51 PM

Apps...........you can find it here: http://www.dodgecumminsapps.com/
Old 11-12-2010, 06:08 PM

the truck came frome texas and i have had the truck to different trany shops in sothern wi. not the guy that built the trans and they think that it is computer. not the guy that built it.
but when a tc goes out and locks up it does shouldn't unlock right?????
i had it on a scaner and it said that the tc would lock going into 1 and unlock going into 4th should be the other way.
so the converter is locking and unlocking just at the wrong time.
sorry i am just trying to talk my way through this??