General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

question about gas vs. diesel turbocharged egts

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Diesels, since they have no throttle plate, are excess air engines that operate on the lean side of the stoichiometric point (theoretically perfect combustion). Gassers are rich burn engines that operate on the rich side of stoichiometric. As you approach stoichiometry, EGTs increase. As you move away from stoichiometry, EGTs decrease. Since the diesel and gasser are on opposite sides of the stoichiometric point, they behave as opposites.

Rusty
Old 11-02-2004, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesels suck in air always reguardless of throttle position, gassers rely on throttle position. the more diesel that goes in the more power is produced. The more air you can shove in (turbo) the cooler the exhaust temps. Then you can put more fuel in. there will come a point of you cant get enough air in to burn the fuel going in (black smoke) then its time for twins (turbos).
Old 11-02-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a diesel, the more air you push in at a set fuel rate, the lower the egts will get. The more fuel you push at a set boost level, the hotter it will get. Its as simple as that. You cant run a diesel too lean. Now, pushing 50 psi on a stock diesel will get you no were. When you add more fuel to along with boost (ALOT more ) then you will be able to create more power. If you added alot more fuel and did nothing to the turbo to get more boost, you would create more power, but EGTs would have been increased, probly too high.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:52 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hotpaco17,

It is not very useful to think of diesels in tems of rich and lean like we do with gassers.

Look at the "Diesel theory" thread under Gen Diesel Discussion and see my post (Wetspirit) about that subject. Maybe that will help with your question. It is a couple of pages back. Tell me what you think.

Wetspirit
Old 11-02-2004, 04:17 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course there is a ratio of fuel to air that is theoretically perfect. I don't know what that ratio is. In the engine where there is an excess of air, a nozzle spraying pure fuel, a limited amount of time to vaporize completely, widely varying temperatures from the heart of the burn area to the cylinder wall, and a lot of turbulence from intake velocity, combustion chamber design, and a flame front, it seems like the ratio discussion doesn't matter except as a matter of curiosity. The ratios are all over the map depending where you look. Only the smoke signals, the cleanliness, and the temperature of the exhaust really matter. And even if the exhaust is smoking it doesn't mean the engine is too rich. If the smoke is black it means the engine is at or near full power or the air is restricted or it has a bad injector, etc. It could be quite lean in general and be smoking black. If you want to figure the ratio at total air in vs. total fuel in, it will always look too lean unless the engine is at nearly full power (full power means what it's capable of, not what Dodge rates it at).
It makes gassers look so simple, doesn't it? But even they could be running too lean because of improper atomization and an ox sensor that sees unburnt fuel and leans the mix. The engine acts lean while wasting fuel. And driveability suffers. Sheesh. It's amazing to me that fuel injection works as good as it does on gas engines. The main thing it has going for it is that it's not a carburetor. I think one of the keys to efficiency is thorough atomization and it's hard to imagine the fuel becomes completely mixed with the air in the conditions present in engines.

Wetspirit
Old 11-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Banned

get stoich and air/fuel out of your head when it comes to diesels...

all you need to know is: more fuel = more power, more fuel = more heat... as long as your EGT's are alright, keep on rolling... diesels will continue to make more power beyond the point where smoke is visible from the tailpipe. on a gas motor, you're losing power if you're seeing smoke.

more fuel = more power... more boost = lower EGT's

when you look at it that way, diesels are actually MUCH simpler than gassers...

Forrest
Old 11-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Banned

diesels are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they cost a lot more... and their components cost a lot more... now, they'll generally LAST a lot longer, but you pay for it up front!

took me a few years before I could get behind the wheel of a 215 pumped 12v!! , but now I'm all smiles!

oh, and also realize that valve timing and injection timing are very important w/ a diesel, but the stock cam works great, and dialing in injection timing isn't too tough. once it's set, you're in business. you can go with a bigger cam, but they cost an arm and a leg, and you'll probably want to stick with the recomended installed ICL. and I'm willing to bet that the ICL and LSA are pretty similar to stock. you'll find more affordable tuning ability in playing with injection timing and turbocharger/turbochargers

Forrest
Old 11-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Banned

don't get crazy w/ the fuel... the stock turbos on the new trucks are pretty dang small and easy to kill w/ more fuel!

Forrest