3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Gas in my not Gas truck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas in my not Gas truck!!!!

To make a long story short I have NO idea how i got the gas in my truck. I know that I pumped diesel in to it and the Credit card statement says it . so yeah the gas station says they will not fix it. So i am stuck with this truck, the dealer says that the engine needs replaced. I did drive the truck around 20 miles to the dealer to get it checked out I did not know that it had gas in it. They are saying that the cylinder is shot and the piston, valves and injectors, injector pump, transfered pump, turbo, and well thats all off the top of my head. Is this all possible? I'm just having a hard time with the 15,000 to 19,000 in repairer's. can i have the cylinders bored out and sleeved? and what else can I do to try to make this a little better.

Thanks for any help i can get.

Nick
Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

1.) How many miles are on the truck?

2.) If you put the green handle in and pumped your truck FULL of what was CLAIMED to be #2 diesel and GASOLINE was the byproduct of what came out of that pump and you have a receipt etc to prove it, then the gas station can be sued. It is THEIR fault that they allowed the fuel truck to fill the wrong tank with the wrong fuel, NOT the consumer.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:04 PM

I agree, if your receipt states you got diesel then you should have a case against the gas station. Id consult a lawyer.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 PM

i would definately consult a lawyer ASAP.......that just isnt right that the gas station says they wont cover any repairs at all. I wonder how many more people are in the same boat you are in, since they thought they were getting diesel.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
First doubt that gas in the engine did that much damage, do a search here for others that have had that problem. Second, contact your insurance company immediatly. IF and I say IF the fuelling station had gas in their diesel tanks they are libel but without your insurance companys help you will have a difficult time with it. IMMEDIATLY GO TO THAT STATION AND GET A SMALL CAN OF FUEL AND DOCUMENT WHEN YOU GOT IT AND WHERE and find somewhere to get it tested. If gas is in it the station is libel and their insurance should pay your damages. Also the dealer is really playing with your money. It could do damage but I doubt as much as they are quoting. It happens sometimes and most drain the tank, pump diesel to the filter, then change the filter and try to start it. It will run rough for a bit but as the diesel gets to the injectors it will usually clear up. Run if a few days and drain the filter and change it again. That should pretty well clean it out. YOu might also want to add a quart of 2 stroke oil to the fuel also as it will help lube things again. Maybe it damaged the lift pump or CP3 but usually that short a time will not do a lot of damage. Again do a search and you will find out your not the first, just your friendly dealer sounds like he is trying to take advantage of your plight. Get your insurance involved and get the fuel samples ASAP. Oh buy the way get a sample from the truck also, again for analysis and definatly keep your receipts for where you last got fuel.

Good luck and hope it goes well for you from here on.....
Old 05-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by donhov
First doubt that gas in the engine did that much damage, do a search here for others that have had that problem. Second, contact your insurance company immediatly. IF and I say IF the fuelling station had gas in their diesel tanks they are libel but without your insurance companys help you will have a difficult time with it. IMMEDIATLY GO TO THAT STATION AND GET A SMALL CAN OF FUEL AND DOCUMENT WHEN YOU GOT IT AND WHERE and find somewhere to get it tested. If gas is in it the station is libel and their insurance should pay your damages. Also the dealer is really playing with your money. It could do damage but I doubt as much as they are quoting. It happens sometimes and most drain the tank, pump diesel to the filter, then change the filter and try to start it. It will run rough for a bit but as the diesel gets to the injectors it will usually clear up. Run if a few days and drain the filter and change it again. That should pretty well clean it out. YOu might also want to add a quart of 2 stroke oil to the fuel also as it will help lube things again. Maybe it damaged the lift pump or CP3 but usually that short a time will not do a lot of damage. Again do a search and you will find out your not the first, just your friendly dealer sounds like he is trying to take advantage of your plight. Get your insurance involved and get the fuel samples ASAP. Oh buy the way get a sample from the truck also, again for analysis and definatly keep your receipts for where you last got fuel.

But at the same time, if the dealer is claiming that all of the components that they named are bad, and he can get his lawyer involved to get the fueling station to pick up the tab, then it could be a GREAT thing. He will have a pretty much fully brand NEW engine and everything entailed and a brand new 100K warranty to boot...
Old 05-07-2007, 11:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think all those repairs would result from improper fuel, either.

Diesel in a gasser is a big ... BOOM!

Unleaded in a diesel usually just makes it sound like a Briggs & Stratton until you shut 'er down...

The guys used to do that to our 7.3s on a regular basis!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:37 AM

that is true my former boss did all the time. All the dealership did is drain the tank ran some injector cleaner and he was back on the road in no time. Get a 2nd opinion on the repairs and damage remember some service reps get commission.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:39 AM

Well here is the deal on a lawyer involved, my uncle is a lawyer and has told me all the same things you guys did BUT per the gas station and there claims people, they have had NO other complaints, and I also know my dad got fuel there the next day and all was fine. So yeah that's were I stand on that, I have had a few other people call the gas station to see if an attendant knows of any bad fuel beening pumped and they have told every one no.

I do want to get a second opinion, do the deals let any mechanic into their shop, or no. I can see them having a problem with that because they want to be the one to fix it. And my truck has 75000 ish on it. So yeah. Thanks for the help.

Nick
Old 05-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by donhov

at work we had a rookie put half a tank of unleaded into a 6V92 silverbullet and it trashed the motor. literally in 20 miles of driving it did 13k in damage. new injector pump, injectors and a in frame because the cyclinders were scored and pistons were toast. the motor had less than 8k on the previous in frame.

good luck with everything. i know i check no less than 3 times when getting fuel to make sure i grab the correct handle. if possible i go to a place that has #2 seperate

brett
Old 05-08-2007, 06:48 AM

the first GM diesels were 'always' being filled with GAS... and they would puff and snort on down the road...only because they were converted gas engines... MY 2 BROTHER IN LAWS WERE ALWAYS filling it with GAS

a real diesel can't take gas for long
Old 05-08-2007, 07:17 PM

yeah, gas in a diesel has a grenade effect. I put gas in my truck ONCE. It was at a BP station that had green handles for regular unleaded and a seperate handle and pump for diesel. It was early in the morning and I realized my mistake right afterwards. What a bonehead move. I didn't dare start it. I had to take the ride of shame in a tow truck to the dealer so he could remove the tank and get the gas out. Afterwards I put diesel in it, changed the fuel filter and put diesel additive. By the way I check about 3 times before put diesel in the truck. Just be careful at BP stations, some are color coded green for unleaded and white for diesel.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:59 PM

Yep, I put 3 gallons in once while filling up with a yellow handle fuel pump that was gas not diesel. Filled it with diesel and then when I burned a 1/4 tank filled up again. All ok. Some people put 1/20 gas to diesel in the winter to keep their fuel from gelling with no problems.

A buddy filled his 2006 truck with gas drove 10 miles and barely made it back to the dealer.....CP3, lift pump, injectors all shot.

Then he ran torque dog with BDTD and burned two pistons out of it....

Then two weeks ago he received his road armour bumper with lights and winch...almost $5000cdn...
put it on for a week, then took it off as he thought it looked too hillbilly.

Some people have to get hit real hard to realize it.

I think the estimate of what had to be replaced was a little over the top...Turbo would only have to be replaced if the injectors failed and put fuel in the crankcase.

A replacement engine can be had for $6 to $8k. Buy the new engine and sell the old one on ebay. ks
Old 05-09-2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Scovo1
To make a long story short I have NO idea how i got the gas in my truck. I know that I pumped diesel in to it and the Credit card statement says it . so yeah the gas station says they will not fix it. So i am stuck with this truck, the dealer says that the engine needs replaced. I did drive the truck around 20 miles to the dealer to get it checked out I did not know that it had gas in it. They are saying that the cylinder is shot and the piston, valves and injectors, injector pump, transfered pump, turbo, and well thats all off the top of my head. Is this all possible? I'm just having a hard time with the 15,000 to 19,000 in repairer's. can i have the cylinders bored out and sleeved? and what else can I do to try to make this a little better.

Thanks for any help i can get.

Nick

So the dealer said it has gas in the diesel??? Did you get a sample from your truck or smell it yourself or just going by the word of the dealer...?? Maybe the dealer is trying to get out of doing the work under warranty???

Gerry
Old 05-09-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is the kind of thing that always freaks me out and is why i make sure my wife never has to fill it up.....anyway, good luck with that. if the station has no other instance of diesels having this problem then it could very well be back on your shoulders.

Quick Reply: Gas in my not Gas truck!!!!