Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

veggie oil - WVO

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
veggie oil - WVO

How do 12v cummins handle veggie oil?
Please assume I'm using good veggie oil in a proper two tank system. That means starting an stoping on diesel and heating the veggie oil to lower viscosity to diesel's.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think as long as you have a mechanical pump and youre switching to veggie oil with a hot motor and warm oil you should be ok. This assumes filtered and settled oil.
The temps you need to heat that oil to before it hits the IP arent good for a VP44 however. Youll probably overheat the electronics in the thing
Its lubed by the fuel too, so youre even more likely to have problems if theres water or acidic oil.
Ive got a 160hp pump in mine so if it lets go I wont be terribly disappointed
Old 12-09-2006, 11:55 PM

I believe you have to have the oil at 130+ F. And again what kawi said make sure its filtered and settled.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by kawi600
The temps you need to heat that oil to before it hits the IP arent good for a VP44 however. Youll probably overheat the electronics in the thing
The VP44 is in which trucks? The electronics are actually in the pump itself?
160-180 minimum to get good viscosity. I'll have to check the temperature on my girlfiends 2001 cummins injection pump as a reference. I'd think they run about 190... coolant temp.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:03 AM

My 12 valve loves it!! I think if you have a properly set up two tank system and you are getting sufficiant heat before changover all is well. As for the newer trucks I think the biggest problem is having enough pressure to the Vp44,most guy's I know that are running Veggi in the newer trucks are using stand alone pumps that assure enough pressure where it count's. Check out the Forums at this Link. WWW.Frybrid.com
Old 12-10-2006, 11:55 AM

98.5-2001 have the VP44 IP. Im pretty sure the electronics are under the square panel on top and that its got some other stuff inside. If you still want to do it, Id do lots of research on other folks with the same pump. If you dont have it already, Id absolutely get a fuel pressure gauge and look into something heavy duty like a FASS for a lift pump / filter.
Youd be ok with biodiesel Id think. That way its got more lubrication and its not heated. Looked into building an appleseed reactor?
Ive got a veggie conversion but I also have a biodiesel setup. I like the idea of being able to switch to bio once the engine is warm, as well as to heat the bio a little so its not clouding from the cold weather. Its got ball valves in the coolant heat lines and frybrid fuel switches.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Idaho State University has a 12 valve that they've used for veggie oil experiments that has close to 200k solely on veggie. It's mainly been on virgin canola oil though.
How veggie oil preforms in an engine is much like how different oils preform in our bodies. Just like lard plugs up our arteries it can form deposits in an engine.
Best bet is to identify what the waste oil you are using is made from.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:32 PM

My question to you is this....

Where do you plan on getting all this WVO from and do you really know what is involved in processing this WVO into a useable fuel?

I think it is a common misconception that you just empty out a frier, strain the oil and run it.

this is far fro the case. There is a pretty involved chemical and mechanical process for making WVO useable as a fuel...way to involved to go into here.

When you factor in the time you will spend collecting the oil, seperating the crap, removing the moisture, working out the fatty acids and other food residue in it, and storing all the WVO, processed fuel, and residue, along with purchasing the chemicals required to do these processes, I think you will find $2.50 a gallon at the pump a bargain.

I suggest you read up on what must be done to run on "greasle" and also to run SAFELY on it and RELIABLEY on it.

If you factor in injector and engine repair time, it may not look as good as it does on the surface.

VIRGIN vegetable oil is another story....this stuff is far better and almost a direct swap. So are many biodiesels.

There is a way to make biodiesel from waste sewage pond scum that yields and incredible amount of fuel per acre of scum. Far better yileds than Grain Bio or Grain Ethanol.

Look into that WVO processing procedure and let me hear if you still like the idea....
Old 12-11-2006, 06:25 AM

I dissagree,in fact I have been doing this for over a year and it is very little trouble if you don't mind a little work and I take it a few extra steps and make my own fuel for heating with a home made Bio-diesel still. I guess it all depends on how ambitious you happen to be,my Dad tought me a person is only limited if he makes himself that way.....
Old 12-11-2006, 07:17 AM

Chemical,

There isn't any chemical process in making WVO useable as fuel...now converting to biodiesel is another story.

If it burns a cummins 12v can run on it.

derherr65,
www.goldenfuelsystems.com has a good set up, they include a walbro inline lift pump which will take most if not all of the strain off your IP.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:23 PM

Yes but there is a "chemi-mechanical" process where you must cook off the moisture and filter the stuff heavily...how much is your time worth?

I would like to here more from people successfully doing this for extended periods of time with no engine damage.

I would love to get a 91 gallon Frybrid system for my truck if it was feasible.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:07 PM

The first time you collect oil you will ask yourself if this is really worth it. After you get a collection process down it will go very quick. Currentally I depart home fill 2 55gal drums and return in about an hour. I have run my 93 with a mix in the tank of about 8gals a fillup in the summer. Eventually I want to do the 2 tank system in it. If you have the money and time buy yourself an old VW diesel rabbit and convert it. Practice on the 500.00 car not the 10k plus truck. So far I have done a Benz and Rabbit with the 2 tank set up and both worked fine. I have a Rabbit that I'm in the process of converting.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 AM

Most diesel Rabbits are bringing really good money ever since the gas prices went up...

The Rabbit conversion is exactly what got me interested in grease to begin with.

How did you convince resteraunts to let you hvae the oil and not go through a rendering company?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:46 AM

Chemical as I have said it's not much of a problem at all it is a messy job but I have made it a hobby and don't mind the process,then again I also have a Bio-diesel reactor and a Listeroid that I am currently setting up to power my home also on Vegi. My time is worth a lot but it saves me quite a lot of dollars between the Truck and the Furnace.As far as the restaurantes go I just made up a form letter sent it out to a bunch some replyed and some didn't....
Old 12-13-2006, 10:47 AM

Avoid Chain fast food places. McD's grease is propietry so they don;t want anyone taking it. Small mom and pop places are the best. Check out their trap first so you ain;t wasting your time. Talk to the Highest up you can find prferably the owner. Usally the problem is having to explain the whole WVO process 2 dozen times. I have 2 places that are happy to let us take there oil. One own actually saw us pump out some oil from a place next too his and asked us and then said do you want mine. His oil has been very good. Italian places and pizza place seem to work the best. Some places say no and you move on. Most places get payed for the oil and they say the amount is so small that after a few times of picked up the grease they get a check that is so small its barely worth cashing. Let the oil settle for a week somewhere warm pump off the top you can filter it from there. Me and my buddy both have used oil just taken right off the top of the settle drum and used it. Its a little darker than new. I hear and have seen that old jeans make great filters. Thats one of my next projects.

Quick Reply: veggie oil - WVO