Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Mexican Diesel-Texas

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shonne
Man fined for Mexican diesel

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met....3a288840.html

"CBP spokesman Felix Garza said the man’s extra tank was not connected to the pickup truck’s fuel lines and was therefore determined to be “commercial,” which made the driver subject to the fine."

Ignorance of the law and assurance on how to break the law. Anyone know what the law states?

Vehicle-related Regulations Part 393
< 393.63 393.67 >

Subpart E —Fuel Systems§393.65 All fuel systems. (a) Application of the rules in this section. The rules in this section apply to systems for containing and supplying fuel for the operation of motor vehicles or for the operation of auxiliary equipment installed on, or used in connection with, motor vehicles.

(b) Location. Each fuel system must be located on the motor vehicle so that —
(b)(1) No part of the system extends beyond the widest part of the vehicle;
(b)(2) No part of a fuel tank is forward of the front axle of a power unit;
(b)(3) Fuel spilled vertically from a fuel tank while it is being filled will not contact any part of the exhaust or electrical systems of the vehicle, except the fuel level indicator assembly;
(b)(4) Fill pipe openings are located outside the vehicle's passenger compartment and its cargo compartment;
(b)(5) A fuel line does not extend between a towed vehicle and the vehicle that is towing it while the combination of vehicles is in motion; and
(b)(6) No part of the fuel system of a bus manufactured on or after January 1, 1973, is located within or above the passenger compartment.
(c) Fuel tank installation. Each fuel tank must be securely attached to the motor vehicle in a workmanlike manner.
(d) Gravity or siphon feed prohibited. A fuel system must not supply fuel by gravity or siphon feed directly to the carburetor or injector.
(e) Selection control valve location. If a fuel system includes a selection control valve which is operable by the driver to regulate the flow of fuel from two or more fuel tanks, the valve must be installed so that either —
(e)(1) The driver may operate it while watching the roadway and without leaving his/her driving position; or
(e)(2) The driver must stop the vehicle and leave his/her seat in order to operate the valve.
(f) Fuel lines. A fuel line which is not completely enclosed in a protective housing must not extend more than 2 inches below the fuel tank or its sump. Diesel fuel crossover, return, and withdrawal lines which extend below the bottom of the tank or sump must be protected against damage from impact. Every fuel line must be —
(f)(1) Long enough and flexible enough to accommodate normal movements of the parts to which it is attached without incurring damage; and
(f)(2) Secured against chafing, kinking, or other causes of mechanical damage.
(g) Excess flow valve. When pressure devices are used to force fuel from a fuel tank, a device which prevents the flow of fuel from the fuel tank if the fuel feed line is broken must be installed in the fuel system.
[36 FR 15445, Aug. 14, 1971, as amended at 37 FR 4341, Mar. 2, 1972; 37 FR 28752, Dec. 29, 1972].
Old 06-25-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanx! Can you connect the inbed tank to the underbed tank?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by shonne
Thanx! Can you connect the inbed tank to the underbed tank?
Yes. As long as it is connected like this

(e) Selection control valve location. If a fuel system includes a selection control valve which is operable by the driver to regulate the flow of fuel from two or more fuel tanks, the valve must be installed so that either
(e)(1) The driver may operate it while watching the roadway and without leaving his/her driving position; or
(e)(2) The driver must stop the vehicle and leave his/her seat in order to operate the valve.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:30 PM

Well, bolted down, secured and valved properly....sounds like I'm legal.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:44 PM

COOL! Now if we could just find an easy way to get you to mexico to fill it up
Old 06-30-2008, 01:53 PM

Yea, got half way to Lytle, Tx and realized I didn't have my passport. I believe in order to cross and from what CBP states, you; (1) must have a govn't issued I.D. and copy of birth cert. OR (2) a valid govn't issued passport.
Kind of funny, that I remembered my empty case of DosXX bottles to be refilled!
So instead, I drove home and went to the lake.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by high bid
Yea, got half way to Lytle, Tx and realized I didn't have my passport. I believe in order to cross and from what CBP states, you; (1) must have a govn't issued I.D. and copy of birth cert. OR (2) a valid govn't issued passport.
Kind of funny, that I remembered my empty case of DosXX bottles to be refilled!
So instead, I drove home and went to the lake.
LOL
Yup. A passport OR birth certificate and drivers license will get you back to the US.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 PM

6hr round trip yesterday...no problems w/CBP. 100gallons and a case of XX. The only reason it took me so long was because I followed the Mex Army patrol w/6 Humvee's and the last guy had the .50cal mounted on the top back casually aimed towards those who follwed too close. I tried to wave at him just to make sure his "trigger" hand was off of the gun. 2 Pmex stations had no fuel but the third wound up being easier and now I have a straight shot in out of the country for the next trip and should be able to knock about 1.5hrs off of the trip. Overall pretty easy.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by high bid
6hr round trip yesterday...no problems w/CBP. 100gallons and a case of XX. The only reason it took me so long was because I followed the Mex Army patrol w/6 Humvee's and the last guy had the .50cal mounted on the top back casually aimed towards those who follwed too close. I tried to wave at him just to make sure his "trigger" hand was off of the gun. 2 Pmex stations had no fuel but the third wound up being easier and now I have a straight shot in out of the country for the next trip and should be able to knock about 1.5hrs off of the trip. Overall pretty easy.
AWSOME!!
I just went yesterday again. The CBP didn't even ask why I was in Mexico this time. $2.21 a gallon! Luckily the station where I go did not run out. Although there are 3 other stations with in about 2 miles. From the time I left my house to the time I got back was about 1 3/4 hours. That is waiting in line at the border for about 25 min. this time.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 AM

Last time I was in Ojinaga, there was also a humvee with a 50 calibre, but he moved on before I could get a pic.
The Houston paper said the drug war in Nuevo Laredo was settled, but that it had moved to Juarez. Even OJ had some assinations Memorial Day weekend. Guzman is fighting it out with Carillo Fuentes Cartel. I guess that does not impact us, altghough sometimes bystanders get shot.
I guess I will get a tank, have been cruising Craig's list.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by supr
Last time I was in Ojinaga, there was also a humvee with a 50 calibre, but he moved on before I could get a pic.
The Houston paper said the drug war in Nuevo Laredo was settled, but that it had moved to Juarez.
There is lots of violence in Juarez right now. It has calmed down a bit. There are 2 main drug lords fighting for control of the city and passages to the US. They are really getting to be a lot like the Mafia from years ago here in the states with extortion and control. The problem is neither drug lord wants to give an inch. Many businesses are closing down to avoid the mafia like hassels and killings. Also many places are getting burned because they don't want the "Protection" they are told they need to pay for!! Very sad time there right now.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by supr
The Houston paper said the drug war in Nuevo Laredo was settled, but that it had moved to Juarez. Even OJ had some assinations Memorial Day weekend. Guzman is fighting it out with Carillo Fuentes Cartel. I guess that does not impact us, altghough sometimes bystanders get shot.
I guess I will get a tank, have been cruising Craig's list.
If/when you get it installed, let me know when you're headed down there. We've hunted in Mexico for years 25-75miles in done the gun registrations and all permits(during hunting season only). If you've never been before you can follow me in/out w/no worries. Passport required.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 PM

I just bought a 2007 F650 Extreme Truck w/ 150 gal stainless on each side straight from the dealer with another 108 mounted in the back all inline with fuel selector switches inside cab. I am trying to also lower my overhead on my fleet of readymix trucks, fuel is killing my profit margin. I called US Customs told them my dilemma and they said as long as they are inline and not for resale your ok.

400 gallons inline am I crazy , should I have my head examined? I need as much feed back before attempting to cross the border in a truck that is going to stick out like white elephant.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:20 PM

I think that is what is going to ruin the getting fuel in Mexico for people state side. I have heard of people going across multiple times a day and bringing fuel back for their fleets. Here in California they are running out in places and either putting caps on how much you can fill up or only selling to the locals that are there all the time.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 AM

Pros vs the cons

I appreciate your input, however if I don't do something drastic I will be forced to sell my trucks and I have worked all my life with not much to show for it. If our government wasn't so freaking corrupt we the people wouldn't have to go to these extreme measures to save our livelihoods. One concern of mine that has made me think twice about this new opportunity is my safety in a 3rd world country where cartels shoot it out in broad day light and people are kidnapped everyday for ransom and I'm a pretty tough guy but I can't stop bullets.

Do the cons out weigh the pros?

Quick Reply: Mexican Diesel-Texas