Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Mexican Diesel-Texas

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supply in baja

friend of mine just called from baja
Tijuana and Otay are out of fuel
not expecting anything until this weekend
a local news story on tv sent everyone to baja for the weekend

http://quepasabaja.com/
Old 06-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow. Hope that doesn't start happening here.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Danderson
In Chula Vista between me and the border,two parties on Craigslist are selling diesel for $3.00-$4.00/gallon. Sounds like they're making some runs.
If someone reports them (and someone should) they could face big fines I'm sure. Things like this will get laws passed so fast and stop the whole thing It only takes a few dumb..... to screw things up.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 AM

rumors

rumor mill here in san diego is that pemex stations might start only selling to locals. sure hope not but story has been all over the news about the cheap fuel in baja.

greedy people will ruin it for all. you watch.

david
san diego
Old 06-18-2008, 10:23 AM

Here in Texas, it seems many are oblivious to Mexico. Outside of the article yesterday about Laredo, which has always had close Mexican ties, there has been little news or talk about crossing the border for fuel. Mexico scares a lot of people and there are many false stories. Kidnapping in Matamorros and Reynosa by local small time thugs have created problems. May be Cartel related.
Of all the people who own Dodge CTD's in Texas, only (2) others have commented on this thread. If I could save $2.50/gallon, I would have a lot interest and do.
It seems that in OJ/Presidio, this whole thing had not been much of an issue. In SD, you have thousands of diesel truck owners aho can easily drive to save a lot of money.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by supr
Here in Texas, it seems many are oblivious to Mexico. Outside of the article yesterday about Laredo, which has always had close Mexican ties, there has been little news or talk about crossing the border for fuel. Mexico scares a lot of people and there are many false stories. Kidnapping in Matamorros and Reynosa by local small time thugs have created problems. May be Cartel related.
Of all the people who own Dodge CTD's in Texas, only (2) others have commented on this thread. If I could save $2.50/gallon, I would have a lot interest and do.
It seems that in OJ/Presidio, this whole thing had not been much of an issue. In SD, you have thousands of diesel truck owners aho can easily drive to save a lot of money.
Hope you counted me in that (2) For the money I paid to put a 75 gallon saddle tank in the bed, it has saved me that much the FIRST time I filled up. I will be going again in a week or 2 and will save at least $240 on the fill up. Mexico is scary at times but not as bad as MOST people think. For me though, I see the people talking bad about Mexico are the same people that are not going over there, and have never been there. It is almost like they are jelous and just don't know what to do to get started so it is easier to bad mouth it.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:05 PM

Yes, I counted you and my friend near Eagle Pass. Did CPB require you to put the saddle tank on, vs using 30 gallon drums?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by supr
Yes, I counted you and my friend near Eagle Pass. Did CPB require you to put the saddle tank on, vs using 30 gallon drums?
Nope. Well actually I never even tried using 30 gallon drums. Just did the saddle right from the start. I might try to use my tank and put an extra 30 gal drum also, but would really hate to be turned around to get rid of the drum because it is not secured to the truck.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
No 'mo diesel blackmarket.

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
If someone reports them (and someone should) they could face big fines I'm sure. Things like this will get laws passed so fast and stop the whole thing It only takes a few dumb..... to screw things up.
I scanned Craigslist and can no longer find the ads. They may have a word of mouth following by now. We've got articles in the local rags about how relatively cheap gas and diesel is down there. The government is subsidizing petroleum products to the tune of $30 billion dollars(That's mucho pesos) in order to quell inflation.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:43 AM

The rental boat I spoke of in my post on 06-11 has now made two trips into Mexico for cheap diesel. Granted he is buying 200,000+ gallons at a time, his price has risen to around $1.70 per gallon, and must be paid in cash. So far no problems with quality. This fuel is being used on large shrimp boats.

Only problem is that the port officials (self appointed local thugs) now require $5,000.00 for a "docking fee" on docks they don't own. Oh well, no one said it would be easy........

Jim

P.S. The Pecten DP refinery investment was so that the Mexican Goverment would have a buyer for their crude. Back in the early 90's, Mexican crude was considered junk. It fetched about 1/3 to 1/2 the price that other crudes were selling for. It was/is extremely heavy sulphur crude, and very few refineries, at that time could process it. They (mex govt) invested so they would have a ready outlet for their crude. At the time, the Dutch were laughing all the way to the bank with that $1 Billion. With todays prices, the Mex Govt makes Warren Buffet look like a novice investor with the return they (mex gov) are recieving on that $1 Billion.........
Old 06-20-2008, 08:13 AM

Just finished installing the aux tank...anyone headed south, let me know. Not much bed space left w/a SB and toolbox. Scratching my head wondering if it's worth it.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:54 PM

I'll be headed south in about 2 weeks. Actually going to fuel up and will then be vacationing in San Antonio later in July!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 AM

On the gasoline side, I just saw on TV where their gas is higher in Sulpher and other stuff not good for modern US emissions. Over time, this could lead to expensive repairs.
Not sure if this is true, but given their cars are not the same, it sounds logical. On the other hand, 40% of their gas comes from us. So, I guess it depends on where you go.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So now they get the TV news people to tell you just how bad the fuel is in Mexico so that you don't go across the border to buy it because if you do they lose profit! What they forget to say is the places that have bad fuel are way south of the border in some small village out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:52 PM

Man fined for Mexican diesel

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met....3a288840.html

"CBP spokesman Felix Garza said the man’s extra tank was not connected to the pickup truck’s fuel lines and was therefore determined to be “commercial,” which made the driver subject to the fine."

Ignorance of the law and assurance on how to break the law. Anyone know what the law states?

Quick Reply: Mexican Diesel-Texas