Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

Old Blue, W-350 Crew Cummins Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Thiss
I am going to go with a plate and not move the trans cross member. It looks like it needs to move only 1 1/2 inches and that there is not much steel on frame to drill out. I have seen several of the swaps with manuals just build a mounting plate, i am sure it can be done with an auto. I will get some pictures up soon as to reinvigorate everyone's interest.
I know I have seen that plate in one of the cummins build threads I`ve been through...but which one...Hmmmmm...
Old 11-05-2010, 01:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After tearing the truck apart for the last 4 months, I finally have put something back together. I droped the body back on today with a new set of mounts and a fresh coat of under coating and chassis paint.

I then pulled more stuff apart. The driver side front fender is off. I am going to replace with one of my truck. By the time I start swapping body panels ( I planned to keep driving donor) I have crossed the rubicon.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it makes for a nice clean look.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:21 PM

Thanks. The camera flash exposed some areas of touch-up, like where I had the jack. But it is coming along. I pulled the fenders off and am way glad I did. I was going to not worry about what was behind them, but I found some pretty heavy surface rust and enough dirt to fill a 3 gallon trash can. this weekend I plan to have the firewall and interior floor boards covered with fresh undercoating.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Sorry no pics. But big things are happening. The crew is sitting with it's new heart. Engine and tranny are in, I still need to make a new tranny mount plate though. If any one has a drawing of this I would appreciate it. By the end of the week I plan to have engine bay all together and everything under the dash hooked up. I got the fuel tank in. I used donor ctd tank, I lowered the mounting brackets. I think I am the first to do it this way and am a bit nervous, I think the driveline will clear and the tank it pretty level, I glued a piece of rubber between the tank and cab since they touch. Feel free to chime in if you think this won't work, it is not too late for body lift. I will try for some pics by thurs.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll probably find it, but I posted what I have on the discussion thread.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t279212.html
Old 01-16-2011, 01:08 AM

I have been cranking away at this thing for the last month. I hope my wife doesn't divorce my crazy self and make this whole conversion for not. Anyway; the drive train is in,wired, and ready for fluids, fenders and doors are on, dash and wiring are in, steering wheel and pedals are in, and the front axle and suspension are done. To do: extend brake lines, fab in receiver hitch (neither of the two I have line up with the frame perfectly. Is this the difference in bed length?), fill with fluids, swap rear axles and suspension, connect instruments and gauges, place hood and align fenders, more sanding and body work. Once that is all finished it goes to the exhaust shop and then to the body shop. Hopefully that light I see is not an oncoming train.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking good. at least you will have all the parts on one rig. i still have two in the shed taking up room until i get going on it. my kid is now seven maybe i will get started next winter.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 AM

Taking one apart and putting it completely back together eats time. Well she is runnin! Sounds mean with only a down pipe. Going to go put my rear wiring harness in, after my buddy soldered it up. Have to cut one whole and then all will be good. Brakes need more bleeding. Here is a question, will you lose park if there is no rear driveline hooked up?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
If you have the front driveline in, T-case in 4H/4L, both hubs locked; then park will function correctly
Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 PM

I will check it out the parking issue. I also have a break leak/contamination. We bleed them and get a firm pedal and then we lose it. I put on a new master, booster, used abs system off the donor. Only thing I used off the crew was the rear supply line, which I had to lengthen with another piece of line (my problem is probably somewhere here). I plan on sanding and more prep work for the paint tonight. I am getting evicted today from the shop (FFA needs their space back) and hope to go straight to the body shop. Body guy is going to come check it out this afternoon and give me a quote. I think it will roll out tomorrow, even if I have to use the e brake to drive it the 1/2 mile to the body shop. I have a picture but its at home. I wish I didn't have the time crunch and could keep the thread more interesting. Oh and on a great note. We are having another baby boy! I hope to bring him home in the crew.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 PM

Park is working. Just didn't roll the truck enough to lock the hubs in.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's going to be a very nice looking crew when your done. What size tires are you going with?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM

Thanks. The tires are Toyo Mud Tertian 315's with a set of second gen wheels that were lying around the local Les Schwab's (they had a "scratch"). Here is her latest look before I drove it down to the body shop and how it looks with it's tires and 4 inch spring re-arch.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
It's coming along. Looking Good!!

I would loose the factory ABS stuff, bet it's the reason for the weak pedal.

I'm sure you've done some reading in the 1st gen archives and seen that this system is problematic. I have the stock 84 set-up on my crew, but for the diesel booster and master, and it stops great.

Quick Reply: Old Blue, W-350 Crew Cummins Project