AZDTR #20 Forum for the Arizona Chapter #20

The Next Arizona Meet and BBQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonsRig
wildcat,
I do not see anything in you signature that looks like a high performance fuel pump. Could it be you are running out of fuel pressure? I have a FASS that pumps 150 gpm. I also heard that 5" exhaust doesn't help a engine with stock turbo, may hurt a bit.
Ron
Yeah, a Walbro pump is next on "The List".
I don't think the 5" exhaust is hurting me. And if it is, it wont be for long, when I get to the Turbo side of the equation.

It's all just a matter of time.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:50 PM

His numbers should be just a hair less than yours Ron, its just how we drove these autos on the dyno. Yours being a 6-speed, you were able to make a low rpm pull and build boost lower in the rpm range so you could build the low end torque, where as we could only hit it from a 2000RPM roll, without any load on the motor. Or in wildcat's case, just floored it, and without a loaded dyno, automatics will not produce the torque. I watched my rail and fuel pressure on my 07 during my runs, and didnt drop below 6psi. For rail pressure, I saw a slight drop in pressure once I reached about 2500 rpm, but it came back up. I dont think just the smarty alone would suck a rail dry or be too much for the stock in-tank pump. But, I do plan on a pump after my trans, to handle some big injectors
Old 04-01-2008, 11:02 PM

Ahhh! Injectors! I am already flirting with 500/1000. Do you think that could put me over? That is SRT-10 territory in hp.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 AM

SRT-10 territory?! I just raced one the other weekend with the smarty on 5 and smoked him! I will admit he was burnin the tires for the first 3 gears, but getting all that power to the ground is half the battle!

Injectors should easily put you over 500/1000. Even just stacking with that smarty (TS MP-8, TST PM, etc.) would put there. But after that, I'd be thinking of a turbo, it never ends Werent you the one saying you were hitting almost 1800 EGT on the dyno?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Werent you the one saying you were hitting almost 1800 EGT on the dyno?
I was hoping no one bring that up. Yeah, I said that.

About the time I bought my truck (2004) there was a guy on TDR who did a write up on different gauges. He actually compared different brands of EGT gauges and hooked them up to a scope to measure their sampling rate. This was one of the criteria he used to determine accuracy. Sampling rates (how often the gauge reads the signal from the sensor) tended to be higher in the units that appeared to be more accurate. I bought the SPA gauge because of three factors. 1, it was electronic and had many features, and 2, it was a dual gauge, and 3, it was determined to be the most accurate, which, as it turns out, not to be all that important.

I have rationalized the 1800 degree reading was due to the fact that the higher sampling rate had a better chance of reading the peaks of gas temperature that other gauge might miss and the sensor is pre-turbo. It is hard to demonstrate that without have two trucks set up similarly in a long hard pull or another truck with a SPA EGT gauge. I cannot even find a long hard pull without running into traffic or running out of incline. All I get is spikes going up Yarnell Hill or the Sunset Point. But it is fun trying, especially when a Ford or a Chevy think they want to race you, or block your pass.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 AM

Put a turbo on it, and it should put you over 500, plus brings the EGT's down a bit.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fred Swanson
Put a turbo on it, and it should put you over 500, plus brings the EGT's down a bit.
Yeah, but it will have to wait until after shocks. I am beginning to think about it more and more and that is not a good thing. I always end up spending more money.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:34 PM

Hey Arizona Guys, My name is Mark Rau and i am going to throw this out there for anyone thats interested. I am trying to put a Diesel Get together/Race on May 23rd (Friday night) at SpeedWorld Dragstrip in northwest valley. Races start at 7pm till midnight or so. I have tried in the past to get diesel get togethers going and have had a few good ones but am going to try again to see if we can start to get something going more often. I know me and a few buddies will be there racing and I believe Fred Swanson will be coming with us and i am sure most everyone knows him. Please try to make it if you can and bring all your buddies! Last race there Dodges got showed up by Fords and we can't let that happen!! Please contact me if you have any questions i will be keeping a list and trying to get numbers of everyone that plans to go. Hope to see you there!
Mark Rau
262-237-1021
Old 04-30-2008, 12:55 PM

Talked to Speedworld and they already have an event going on, on the 23rd so we are switching it to the 24th. Saturday night, they know we are coming and we will have our own Diesel Lane and section like we had at Diesels in the Desert Race. All Brand trucks are welcome not just Dodges. I know the AZ powerstroke group is coming out there as i have talked with Shawn and he said he will bring about 20 trucks just from his group. Lets make it happen and get a big turn out!