ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Espar, Proheat, Webasto..........

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.espar.com/documents/7day_norelay.pdf

Yes, that's right I see it now. It shows how to get it to run again after too many overheats or too many failed starts....
Old 01-21-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by pistazie
http://www.espar.com/documents/7day_norelay.pdf

Yes, that's right I see it now. It shows how to get it to run again after too many overheats or too many failed starts....
Yup that's it. Kind of a pain to do with the 7 day timer, but it is possible.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by dvst8r
-Running it on some kerosene or gasoline to burn out any carbon.
Wish i had known this about gasoline yesterday - paid $28.00 for 10 litres of Kerosene.....
Old 01-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

can coleman fuel be substituted for kerosene to burn in the heater? i don't have any kerosene, but have an ample supply of coleman fuel.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Wish i had known this about gasoline yesterday - paid $28.00 for 10 litres of Kerosene.....
Not the first time I wrote that. In this thread.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mlucas
can coleman fuel be substituted for kerosene to burn in the heater? i don't have any kerosene, but have an ample supply of coleman fuel.
No idea at all. Can't say I know anything about the properties of either.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

Alright-I thought i would just chime in here. On the weekend, i ran the heater on kerosene and so far-it seems to have fixed my little problem i was having.

That said, i thought i would vent my frustrations on actually hooking up the heaters fuel supply to a can of kerosene.

My system is the "dodge specific" installation kit purchased thru Cummins. It came with a nifty bracket & all applicable hoses to mount the heater.

Well, the fuel line connection on the Espar happens to be hidden directly behind a couple metal plates-so a complete removal of the mounting bracket was required.
Lots of cursing, diesel & dirt in my face...and finally a new hose was run into the can of fuel.

Well, if I had the parts, i would have simply cut the hard plastic diesel fuel line & spliced in a new temporary one....but i didn't have the hose or the clamps handy.

Next time, i'll do that instead. It will take a 4 hour job down to 2.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:39 PM

If you're running an aftermarket fuel pump (AD or Fass), I believe I have pics in the link in my signature (AD install), where I ran the Espar fuel draw to the suction side of the pump. Makes for a way easier time to do the gasoline or kerosene service trick.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mil spec D5WSC 24V jp8 configuration

Sorry this is going to be long but background is needed

All Ibotta D5wsc PN25 2284 off eBay listed as new never installed everything in a box ready to rock grab your socks.
got the box started checking things out they did a good job cleaning it up then I started looking for the fuel pump. No fuel pump the mil spec model uses the remote pump has the D5 replaced another manufacturer's equipment on the Alaskan hmmwv and this retrofit kit utilized the existing pump from the other unit, the seller was unaware of this . So I called to find out the specs on the pump to figure out if I can just use any diesel rated pump other than the mechanical on my 91.5 12 valve. Eberspacher said that's not a normal D5 call this DOD contractor, Activitiv Gear (905)669-2292, to get the specifics on you unit or we can see is that is DoD and they should be able to set you up
Call Dod guy he said" how the H e double hockey sticks did you get this classified piece of equipment?"
I explained to him that I got it through eBay. We had to play the 20 Questions game and finally figured out that he was allowed to disclose the part number for the 24 volt mil-spec fuel pump.PN 25-1942 450000. However the brain is classified and he can't tell me anything about it other than it's not a civilian model. while talking to eberspacher I had them go through the wiring harness that came with it figured out where everything plugged in and that they most likely cooked the brain they jumped the code wire to the ground lead to demilitarize equipment before it was sold through DERMO and then sold to me as new never installed. call eBay and called PayPal they didn't have any issue with it selling classified materals. (As an 11B/18X this got my panties in a bunch) they took exception to the fact that I didn't install it right away and accused me of using the unit through the winter and now that winter is over I'm trying to return the product. that I'm complaining the item had been miss listed as unused and showed very obvious signs of use on its internals not to mention the water pump was seized from the rusty coolant running the hmmwv it was installed in hence the complete disassembly. Just had to rotate the pump to break the scale loose works fine off a jumper.
going to rig up a test stand and see if I can get it to work
If the brain is cooked can I install a 12-volt normal brain? And is it worth the $$$ to rebrain ? Where can I just run the dang thing manually with some toggle switches and momentary for the glow plug
there was a question about A draw:
STARTUP +-10% 250W
HIGH 2.08A@24V 49.9W
LOW .95A @24V 22.8W
Soot tracks
Rust scale seized water pump