Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Espar/Webasto heaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Espar/Webasto heaters

Whos running Espar or Webasto heaters in their Dodge D, good or bad points of each,also durability,trouble with the units,price of them and which do you prefer.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:04 AM
JKM

I can't tell you much about how they work and what one is better , but i hope you are sitting down when you see the price...
Old 02-25-2005, 10:29 AM

I have an Espar for just over a year now works great know of one gay running a Webasto he likes it . I think the both are good units cost has went up to like to$1200. Give Cummins Mid-Canada a call 306 933-4022 they were the best price I could find. No bad all good but for the funny looks you get when some one walks by. truck shut off and they hear it running and you are sitting in it in your shirt sleeves and its -25 below out side.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:03 PM

I believe "Dr. Evil" has a Webasto. I'm sure as soon as he reads this thread you'll get some info.
I almost bought one a couple years ago, but didn't have the $$$$
Old 02-25-2005, 05:44 PM

actually $1200 aint all bad,i have a D5 Espar but it needs the control module,its the thing at one end of the heater with a bunch of wires going into it,control module costs like $600.00 ,half the price of a brand new unit, and im wondering if a Webasto is better,maybe more trouble free.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:56 PM

I have a D4 Espar in my Dodge/Cummins. This is my 3rd winter. The first unit failed in a month and was replaced under warranty

Advantages are pretty obvious, but list the ones i see:
-preheat without need for shore power (plugging in)
-faster preheat 4,300 W versus 750 W
-more cab heat in cold weather
-timer has fault code read out built in

Disadvantages:
-tough on batteries
-small fuel line gels easy. Must heavily blend fuel. (I plan to make a separate fuel tank.)
-stink as exhaust is under the cab.

Don't have experience with larger Espar units or small Webasto units. I deal with the 80K-100K Webasto & ProHeat units in transit buses. The larger units need periodic maintenance due to higher usage and output.

I think the "Doc" has an Espar, too.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:23 PM

What went wrong with your first unit.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Dodge Demon
What went wrong with your first unit.
Coolant pump failed and unit overheated and shutdown for self protection. These things are very similar to a home heating unit and have enough sensors to detect problems and shutdown before damage.
The impeller came loose for some reason and it wouldn't circulate coolant. Espar said that was very rare.
2nd unit has run without any problems except fuel line gel which is my fault.

BTW, which ever unit you install, keep a spare temp (flame) sensor. That is the #1 repair item. I have one in my parts bin. Murphy says if you got a spare it will never fail?

You got a D5 (similar to D4) without the rear housing? mine just has an external connector and the control is all in the external timer unit.

-John
Old 02-25-2005, 08:55 PM

i dont have the timing unit just an on and off switch,in one end of the heater unit there is a mini computer (i believe both the 4 and 5 are the same,its this little item thats $600.00 which makes me wonder if i should just buy a whole new unit,thats why i wonder about a Webasto.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:09 PM

I didn't pay much more for the whole kit with heater, timer and wire harness. But, I'm a bad example as I get pretty steep discounts due to my OEM status with suppliers.

Some kind of a timing unit is needed. Any more that 2 hours and the batteries are really drained down.

-John
Old 02-26-2005, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by msing
know of one gay running a Webasto he likes it .
....really?? ...Im glad for him.....
Old 02-26-2005, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Moose10
I believe "Dr. Evil" has a Webasto. I'm sure as soon as he reads this thread you'll get some info.
I almost bought one a couple years ago, but didn't have the $$$$
I do have an Espar D4....GREAT unit. An absolute MUST if you live in a cold climate (no more scraping windows....yippie ) .

I have never head a real problem with it (this is my 3 rd winter having it).....you must make sure your batteries are up to snuff (thanks fuelling around)....There was only one time that the truck wouldnt start after using it. Ran it for 2 hours in -40 weather. Obvously, I ran the batteries down too much. After plugging in for 3 hours - she fired right up. Another drawback is the noise...(I think my muffler on the unit is missing).....but these things do make some noise when in operation (which may or may not be an issue for you).

I understand its a good idea to occasionally pull it apart and clean it. There is an internal glow pin that does the heating and some general preventive maintenance helps keep it happy.

Make sure you spring for the control unit - that way you can program it instead of you having to get out of bed 2 hours before work to go and turn it on

Anyway, if ya have anymore questions, fire away.

PS, shop around.....price seems to vary widely. Cummins in Edmonton is selling them for $2300 Canadian pesos....
Old 02-26-2005, 05:24 PM

Looks like no one that replied runs a Webasto,so the conclusion might be Espar is better?
Old 02-26-2005, 05:30 PM

I wouldnt say that at all.....I would suspect that they are comparable....both are german engineered... I would compare prices. Webasto make ALL kinds of heater - even for cars with gas engines.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:02 PM

Webasto makes one called Blue Heat,its comparable in size and output to the D5 Espar,has a timmer control on it,price wise about the same but dont know much about reliabilaty or anything else about it,be nice if someone had or used both.

Quick Reply: Espar/Webasto heaters