4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Question about the remote starter and the cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the remote starter and the cold?

I'm curious is the remote starter temperature sensitive? I hit the remote starter and the truck honked once and didn't start. It's been really cold here -28 to -30*c overnight and I've been plugging in along with running 0w40 synthetic and a winter front. The truck starts fine but won't remote start it seems? At least in the extreme cold. It started with the remote last night after sitting for a few hours so I'm wondering if it's just from being out all night or if my remote is being screwy? I also got my first check engine light yesterday (no messages though) but it cleared itself after a while.

Thoughts?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My remote start has to be pressed twice. 2 quick consecutive tapes on the button then the truck honks twice.
I assume you have a factory start and a big black fob key, with a red panic button at the insertion point, an unlock and lock button then a semi-circle with a "x2", which is the remote start.
Just sounds like you pushed the button once with the horn only beeping once.

I also believe you can only attempt to remote start the truck twice before you physically have to put the key in the ignition and start it. (this resets the remote start).

Last edited by shlen; 01-17-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Just Cuz
The following users liked this post:
chrisinkanata (03-05-2016)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 AM

No I pressed it twice as per usual and nothing happens. Just honks once as to say "no" lol. I'm taking it to the dealer today to get the steering looked at so I'll mention it to them as well
Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 AM

If your low on fuel it will abort remote start. Your dash display should tell you when you get in why it was aborted.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 AM

I know when in KY it gets to the teens it will cycle the grid warmer before it starts. not sure if that is why it wont start right away. The horn beep just means you initated the remote start. Not sure about the extreme temps like you describe.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:07 PM

The truck is full of fuel and the display just said remote start disabled. I'm going to try it again once I get out of school for the day.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The truck will not remote start if there is a check engine light on or low fuel.

To add I just got in from picking some things up with my truck, I don't usually drive it for short trips but as some bits were large I needed the truck. It's cold here today -30C with -40 to -50C wind chills so after locking the truck when parking I remote started it. When I came back the heated seats and steering wheel were on and the fan was on full. The fan was not selected to auto or full and the seats and wheel were not selected on when I left. The engine temp was up to operating so it was not fast idling but the other things must automatically turn on at a certain temp. NICE I tried it three more times and it was the same.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Busboy
To add I just got in from picking some things up with my truck, I don't usually drive it for short trips but as some bits were large I needed the truck. It's cold here today -30C with -40 to -50C wind chills so after locking the truck when parking I remote started it. When I came back the heated seats and steering wheel were on and the fan was on full. The fan was not selected to auto or full and the seats and wheel were not selected on when I left. The engine temp was up to operating so it was not fast idling but the other things must automatically turn on at a certain temp. NICE I tried it three more times and it was the same.
Love that feature with the remote start in the winter...wait until the summer when she turns the seat coolers on for yah....and gives you a back massage.

"NOPLUGS" Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by shlen; 01-17-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Just Cuz
Old 01-21-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by shlen
Love that feature with the remote start in the winter...wait until the summer when she turns the seat coolers on for yah....and gives you a back massage.

"NOPLUGS" Let us know what you find out.
Turns out my CEL issue was an internal RAM failure in the ECU, truck was reflashed to the latest software and I'm good to go. Probably just the extreme cold temps wreaking havoc on the electronics. Remote starts works perfectly fine now

Maybe I'm just a sissy now but I love the heated steering wheel!.