4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

truck lost 7qts of oil....why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck lost 7qts of oil....why?...damage?

I have a 12 3500 with 10,000 miles on it. I was driving down the road at -49 wind chill when the service soon came up on the evic then went away. I figured it was cold and weird crap like this does happen when its that cold. I stopped for fuel 130 miles later and found oil dripping from everywhere underneath. I put in 5qts just to get it in the middle of the safe mark. went over to a dealer, but they said no mechanics for the weekend and they really couldnt help me out much. I asked them to at least scan it so i could see what was going on (like pulling teeth). The oiler came back and said it was a clogged ccv filter code. I'm guessing it must have froze up and built up to much pressure and blew out. so I grabbed about 5 gallons and headed home, the dealer said they could not help with a loner or rental. made it home, no probs and it quit blowing out. wondering if i may have damaged the motor or turbo from this happening. I would also add that im not impressed with the dealer, its one of those huge ones.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:22 PM
The Guru

Sounds like a pretty big mess. I bet that your entire turbo/intercooler and engine intake is covered with oil.

There are design issues with the CCV. Most of it is that by design its a closed system and is prone to freeze up.

Curious on how much will be covered under warranty, as you should still have bumper to bumper coverage.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:58 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's insane!!! If you drove it even 1 minute with that low oil condition I would be mandating a new Cummins engine. Plus if the pressure compromised the CCV filter (even though it's plastic) it probably stretched your factory head studs
Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM

Everything is covered by warranty, when I took it in they cleaned it up, changed the ccv filter and took an oil analysis and will take another one at the next oil change. The dealer said its no big deal really cause the motor is covered for 100,000...well that's fine and dandy but what a pain in the *** if it pops when I'm out of town pulling a load, whats that time worth. Maybe nothing is wrong with the truck, but I have lost my confidence in it and that kinda stinks cause its new and a guy shouldn't feel that way after spending 45K on a truck. guess ill just have to ride it out and see what happens...don't think there is allot I can do. bummer
Old 01-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
By far the greatest concern with the CCV overpressurizing is the turbo seals getting toasted. The seals the keep the oil inside the bearing housing and not let is puke into the intake or exhaust do not like to have a pressure differential outside the spec limits.

If your overpressure only occurred at high boost conditions, you might be OK as the boost pressure reduces the pressure differential across the seals.

DO NOT DELAY in getting those seals inspected. The typical failure from bad turbo seals is oil puking into the aftercooler and intake manifold, resulting in a runaway condition and lots of badness.

If the CCV froze up, I would insist the dealer give me a free turbo seal inspection under warranty.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by local601
Everything is covered by warranty, when I took it in they cleaned it up, changed the ccv filter and took an oil analysis and will take another one at the next oil change. The dealer said its no big deal really cause the motor is covered for 100,000...well that's fine and dandy but what a pain in the *** if it pops when I'm out of town pulling a load, whats that time worth. Maybe nothing is wrong with the truck, but I have lost my confidence in it and that kinda stinks cause its new and a guy shouldn't feel that way after spending 45K on a truck. guess ill just have to ride it out and see what happens...don't think there is allot I can do. bummer
I would be pitching a *^&*^*&^ fit about the dealer not telling you to park it and calling Hertz and getting you a rental car. That is Bullcrap! This is why the Japanese and German companies do so well. When my Passat broke down the VW/Mercedes dealer put us in a E-Class with 50 miles on it. I am reluctant to buy another Dodge/Ram because of the bad customer service. I won't buy a Chevy of Ford for the same reasons.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 PM

you can't believe the red tape, called the 1800 number for dodge they call the service manager he says he can't touch the truck until dodge says they will pay him for the work, dodge says technically nothing is wrong with the truck, they need a diagnostic reading to do anything like replace turbo seals or the turbo, or even the motor. I said the diagnostic is that oil was blown all over the bottom of the truck (even the brakes, they are not replacing them either). and i have the pictures and clogged ccv filter code to prove that there was pressure build up in the motor. I get sorry "our hands are tied". Well I say please send me the documentation that the condition that I encountered would not hurt the turbo or seals in any way so when or if i get a runaway condition I can give that paper work to the proper people if that happens, sorry they cant do that either. soooo much fun. Sad but I have run dodges for 20yrs. getting a new one every other year, still have my 93 12v.....but this will be my last dodge for me and my wife. I know dodge couldn't give two hoots but chevy here I come. Was working on a 200s for my wife, I will keep shopping.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by New2Diesel
That's insane!!! If you drove it even 1 minute with that low oil condition I would be mandating a new Cummins engine. Plus if the pressure compromised the CCV filter (even though it's plastic) it probably stretched your factory head studs
How do you figure that the factory "studs" (bolts, actually) would be compromised?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes they are all alike kiss your boots spend your money see you later I now not all dealers are like that but dodge has changed is all about the buck. There has been a case here on the news about a truck driver o/o in his senior years who bought a new Volvo tractor it has been in every shop up and down the coast and its only 8 months old. His down time is so bad he can't make his truck payments and the bank is on his front door*** Volvo is just giving him lip service and said there working on it but that's not paying the bills. There's a lot of people out there now your frustration good luck