Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Why oh why? High EGT's Also, am I as fast as I should be for my mods?,,opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why oh why? High EGT's Also, am I as fast as I should be for my mods?,,opinions....

Well, I have a 98 12 valve, 3KGSK 4:10's (4wd) torque converter, #5 plate, 330 marine injectors, 4" straight exhaust (turbo back) and big-Edit hole in airbox w/k&n element. I just had the timing checked and filters changed and I told him if the timing was off to put it at around 15-16 but if it was ok to leave it (even if "okay" was 14ish). Well, he told me it was okay so he didn't touch it (but he didn't actually tell me what it was).

Anywho,,,when would race my girlfriend in her 99 neon R/T I could get about 3/4 -1 car length on her out of the hole (2wd) and then pretty much maintain that up untill about 85-90 where we would let off. We have had her car to the track multiple times and it would run about 16.0-16.2 with her driving. So if I had to guess what my truck would do in the quarter I would say at fastest high 15's.,,,

this is with 33" tires btw.

Well, whenever I race someone or hammer-down to pass someone the EGT's will climb past 1400 pretty quick. I've seen them upwards of 1500 maybe 1550. I don't like it. Even when I'm going up inclines with no load the engine has plenty of power to pull without down shifting but the egt's go up to 1000, 1100 pretty regularly.

What's the sitch? My boost reads about 35 max. Is the pump timing advanced too much,,,,,is this typical egt's for my plate? What about the 1/4 mile time? I hear guys talking about mid-high 13's,,,,,are you giving us bs or do you have something other that diesel going in that engine?

Educate me please.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Banned

You need a turbo buddy.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JD Dearden
You need a turbo buddy.

Agreed

if you plan to run at temps that high on a daily basis ur askin for trouble. Water meth will cool your egts a little bit, but u need a larger turbo, or to back off the plate, starwheel, and AFC housing and drive with a lighter foot..

Rick
Old 08-09-2006, 05:55 PM

Welcome to the too much fuel club...I'm a charter member.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:11 PM

Sounds Like a new turbo needs to be in your plans for the future, also bumping your timing to 16* or so and getting a good air intake will help bring your egt's down
Old 08-09-2006, 07:16 PM

These trucks will run in the 13s pretty easy, even in the 12s. Most do it on diesel only. Some guys then run low 12s high 11s are most likely using NOS. Your truck is respectable, but there is always room for improvement.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:35 PM

Next step?

I'm assuming I should push the timing to 16 first and then see what happens? If there is still a temp problem I guess I should look at either sliding the plate back or a new turbo.

As far as turbo upgrades isn't there something less expensive than all the 1500 buck turbo's I'm seeing?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Banned

With your mods I would go to 16.5*, mavbe even 17*.

A turbo to cool your fuel won't be cheap. You might also try swaping ou for a litle bigger exhaust housing to cool things off a bit more with your current turbo, at least while you save for the new one.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:02 AM

You should be running better than high 15's. I ran a 15.7, but i have the small 160 pump, and stock injectors. What kind of tranny work do you have done, and what brand torque converter, etc? Advancing your timing will make a really big difference in EGT's! I know mine did. Went from being pegged on 1500* from 0-65mph, to now being at 1350* matted all the way from 0-100mph or so. Much better. You shouldnt be that overfueled in my opinion. Maybe a little, but not too much. Maybe put a 16cm housing on your turbo, and advance the timing. Unless you plan on going with more fuel. Then you should just go ahead, and get a new turbo.

Eric
Old 08-10-2006, 07:20 AM

Unfortunately I don't know exactly what has been done.

When I bought the truck the previous owner told me DTT or ATS, I don't remember, but something with a T. I don't think he knew that much technical stuff but he told me that he had the tranny built to handle 500 whp.

So far the tranny seems great, it shifts very firm and the TQ converter locks nicely even under extreme load. Sometimes I notice some drivetrain vibration when the converter locks but I'm pretty sure it is a U-joint when the axle wraps. (5" lift)

Does anyone have a link for DIY water/meth or where to find a 16mm exhaust housing?

From peoples experience how much does the exhaust housing help?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Banned

Scroll down to Turbo's and Turbine Housings...
http://www.piersdiesel.com/DodgeUSPrice.htm
Old 08-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You definitely need to consider getting more air into that engine! You are pushing more fuel than what a 12cm HX35 can reasonably feed. At this point, timing will be crucial......if you don't haul heavy, bump that timing up to 17-18*. If you do haul heavy keep it at 16* just to be safe. This will certainly help egt control but will not be a substitute for a turbo that doesn't flow enough air. Also, consider the position of the fuel cam plate....if it is way too far forward, this can have a similar effect to retarded timing and has a very pronounced effect on EGT control.

Regardless, you need to start shopping for a turbo if want to make more power and maintain this level of fuelling safely.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:12 PM

I dont know to much about the 12v and the timing, but i am wondering how bumping up the timing helps lower the EGTS? My buddy has a 12v and he runs pretty hot, maybe this would help him.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:08 PM

I am not sure how it does it. I think basically it helps it use the air it is getting more efficiently by altering when the pump injects fuel. Basically, the higher you time one, the better(to a certain point), but the higher you go, the harder to start they get in the winter, and it will also blow the Head Gasket much easier if it is not oringed, and/or studded. Advancing it to 16 or 17* usually will not hurt anything though, and it makes the truck run better all around, along with the much lower EGT's.

Eric
Old 08-10-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
I am not sure how it does it. I think basically it helps it use the air it is getting more efficiently by altering when the pump injects fuel. Basically, the higher you time one, the better(to a certain point), but the higher you go, the harder to start they get in the winter, and it will also blow the Head Gasket much easier if it is not oringed, and/or studded. Advancing it to 16 or 17* usually will not hurt anything though, and it makes the truck run better all around, along with the much lower EGT's.

Eric

Very well said Eric

its usually at 18 or so that the head gaskets start to go, Think of timing as this, as this is the best reaction to it (with a manual trans) Timing will better burn the fuel up at the upper RPMS and will also add harder fueling up there as well, You will lose a little low end power, but think of it as moving your whole powerband a little bit to get it to better burn the fuel and use the turbo to maximize cooling, and fuel burn...

Rick

Quick Reply: Why oh why? High EGT's Also, am I as fast as I should be for my mods?,,opinions....