4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2001 vs 2010, 11, or 12

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Busboy
Perhaps......... But he doesn't say if he actually test drove a 4th gen. In my opinion a modified second gen will never be a 4th gen in ride and comfort not to mention braking ability no matter how much money you throw at it. If you factor in how cheap a 4th gen gas truck is if you don't need the towing ability of the diesel that would be the way to go.
----------------------
Well, maybe he will come back in here and tell us if he has driven a 4th Gen.

I have driven several of them and while I would agree they ride better than a second gen I am not convinced the interiors comfort is THAT much better!
Heck, it's a truck! Another thing I hate about the 4th gens is they are so dang heavy and IMHO they are slow too! Compared to their competitors (Ford 6.7 and Chevy Duramax 6.6) they are DEAD last in acceleration, 1/4 mile time and towing load times. "Diesel Power" just did tests on the three and the Dodge 4th Gen Diesel 6.7 was LAST in almost very category! But, I am glad you like yours!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love my 2011. best truck ive ever owned. paid cash for it and never looked back. wouldnt trade it for 3 2001s'. and had a new 99. it was great but not even in same ball park as my 2011.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy New Year guys, sorry I haven't been paying attention. Too busy working! Actually I have driven a couple of new 4th gens a couple of years ago. Know plenty of people that own them. I like driving my 2nd gen better. Sure doesn't drive like a Caddy, drives like a truck, & I want a truck to work with. If I spent 50-60+grant on a new truck, I would have to be convinced I made the right decision. From what I hear they still need new ball joints, tie rod ends, brakes, fuel pumps, injectors etc, so I can do that on mine too. The only real reason I was thinking of a new truck, is because of the low GVW on the older trucks. I'll just watch my weight & keep everything in tip top condition, & just keep on clacking along! At least I can hear if it is still running! Thanks everyone for all your input. It has been quite interesting reading all the comments. You have helped me make my decision.
Cheers
jack
Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TDIDog
Happy New Year guys, sorry I haven't been paying attention. Too busy working! Actually I have driven a couple of new 4th gens a couple of years ago. Know plenty of people that own them. I like driving my 2nd gen better. Sure doesn't drive like a Caddy, drives like a truck, & I want a truck to work with. If I spent 50-60+grant on a new truck, I would have to be convinced I made the right decision. From what I hear they still need new ball joints, tie rod ends, brakes, fuel pumps, injectors etc, so I can do that on mine too. The only real reason I was thinking of a new truck, is because of the low GVW on the older trucks. I'll just watch my weight & keep everything in tip top condition, & just keep on clacking along! At least I can hear if it is still running! Thanks everyone for all your input. It has been quite interesting reading all the comments. You have helped me make my decision.
Cheers
jack
---------------
Jack:

Thanks for coming back in here to give us your input and decision.

Personally, I think you are making the right decision. Since you have come back and given us your final input, I think this thread has pretty well run its course.

----------
John_P