4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2001 vs 2010, 11, or 12

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my 2010 Mega. Had a check engine light that would come on randomly but never stay on for any amount of time. Haven't seen it in the past 6K miles.????
Fuel mileage is not what I had hoped but it's no worse than my 96. If the 96 was in as good of shape and low mileage as your 01 I probably would not have purchased a new one. Now that said the ride is phenomenal compared to the 96 but to me that's a luxury, not a necessity. The 2010 tows much better than the 96 did when stock. They are very similar with the mods on the 96. (96 is slightly stronger)
I was considering doing deletes tuner etc on the 2010 but I think I'll wait until the warranty expires. The service manager at the dealership that I go to (If I need dealer repairs) told me that when they connect the truck (he was talking diesel specific) to their diagnostics all the info gets uploaded directly to Chrysler and all decisions are made there and not at the dealership. He said that a tuner will absolutely void the warranty in today's world. The guy has always been straight forward with me on mods to my Challenger so I'm going to take his word for it.but at 101K I'll be doing deletes, exhaust, intake and what ever tuner is considered the most user friendly at that time.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Are you going to use it more for a daily driver (they weren't built for it) or is it going to see a lot of highway/freeway w/ an occasional trailer and or load?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
[QUOTE=signature600;3046569]Unfortunately John, with the newer trucks, it is a crapshoot as far as reliability goes. Someday, I believe they will get the injectors more reliable in them...someday.

Chris[/QUOTE

---------------
Yeah Chris,..... I agree that with the new trucks "it IS a crapshoot as far as reliability goes." After having driven a few of them, and seeing all the issues that my buddies are having, I just can't see spending the big money they want for these new Dodge CTD CR 6.7's and then having to put up with all the issues they are having. Chris, I am SO glad that I kept my old reliable 1996 regardless of anyone saying "they ride bad" or anything else. They are simple to keep up, easy to work on, have very little "electronic control" and the parts are resonable. My 1996 with over 800 H.P. actually gets BETTER mileage than my 2006 Dodge CTD CR as long as I "take it easy" with the throttle!

As far as those CR injectors Chris, I don't see them getting anymore reliable buddy. Right now the 2011 Dodge CTD CR 6.7's are set-up with FIVE separate events each time a cylinder fires! My 2006 injectors do that THREE times! I was talking with a Cummins Engineer this past summer and he said by 2014 or so they may have to go to SEVEN events to keep the same set-up they have now. I doubt that they will do that as I think they will just go with the DEF Fluid Tanks like the Dodge cab/chassis' and Ford 6.7 Trucks have. The piezo injectors the Fords are using would simplify things too.
I guess we will see what they come up with Chris.

---------
John_P
Old 11-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Yes sir, see what the EPA has in store for them to meet next.

I miss my 12v...the 2010 is nice and all, but there's just something about that sound and feel. Gotta get the 1/2 ton going...soon!

Chris
Old 11-28-2011, 10:38 AM

Wow, come on guys! There are plenty of us out there that love the 4th gen's. I've had a few Cummins Dodge's and find that the comfort and stock towing keeps getting better all the time. And, as far as problems...how about fuel pumps, injection pumps, fuel gauges, front-ends, #53 blocks, etc...

All have had their issues and future trucks will do the same. We all wish mileage was better. I, too, remember 20mpg out of a Cummins, and my '11.5 will someday get closer to that, but for now, I'll keep my warranty in tact.

Just wanted to stir the pot a little, because the comments are mostly coming from non-4th generation owners saying to stick with older trucks.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 PM

x2 Shootist

Every version has had things to love and things to hate.

Dodge is a Spanish word, it means "the track bar needs to be replaced"
Old 11-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Shootist
Wow, come on guys! There are plenty of us out there that love the 4th gen's. I've had a few Cummins Dodge's and find that the comfort and stock towing keeps getting better all the time. And, as far as problems...how about fuel pumps, injection pumps, fuel gauges, front-ends, #53 blocks, etc...

All have had their issues and future trucks will do the same. We all wish mileage was better. I, too, remember 20mpg out of a Cummins, and my '11.5 will someday get closer to that, but for now, I'll keep my warranty in tact.

Just wanted to stir the pot a little, because the comments are mostly coming from non-4th generation owners saying to stick with older trucks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
No offense Shootist,... but I don't have to own a 4th Gen to see all the problems they are having with them! EVERYTIME I go into my Dodge Dealer for service there are one or two 4th Gen Trucks in there for a multitude of problems (i.e. fuel dilution, CEL/DTC codes, plugged EGR systems, broken shafts on turbos, soot plugged turbos, faulty CR injectors to name just a few). I assure you that is not all of the problems either. Couple that with the sheer cost of the 4th Gens and to me there are plenty of reasons NOT to own one.

I am glad you, my good friend Chris and Nevada have good luck with your trucks but many have not and the members here on DTR have a right to hear "both sides of the story." And while you and others are right that all generations of Dodge CTD Pickups have their problems, these 4th Gens are no slouches on all their current problems. Sorry if this upsets you Sir, but we all have our own opinions here.

-------
John_P
Old 11-28-2011, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, my '07 CTD has had zero problems. Perhaps it's because it almost always has a load behind it. My wife has it now pulling the horse trailer and the only problems she has are pilot error.

I don't have many miles on my 2011 HO yet, but aside from the crappy fuel economy it is a delight to drive. It will also spend most of it's time pulling a load.

In my opinion many of the problems are encountered by those that don't work their trucks. If you want a commuter vehicle or just occasionally do light to medium tows I think a gas rig is a better choice.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 AM

Not upset John P, just calling out the 4th gen owners that gladly post pics and speak well of their rigs to tell their side of the story and let the original poster weigh the options.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I need to weigh in here too. Have 20k on my '11. Not even sure where the CEL is in the dash. Just deleted it when l was home few weeks ago.

Dad has ~ 10k on his '11. No issues to date. Last weeks trip to PA was averaging 16.5 (hand calculated). Stock G56/3.42 combo.

My buddy Worm (roger.t) has 35k in his '10. Bone stock save for wheels and tires. Not a single blip on the radar.

Three good ones located less than a mile from each other in South Louisiana.

I don't think they are all bad....

Sent from my iPod Shuffle using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2011, 10:54 AM

Well, thanks for all the input guys! I think I have made my decision. I am going to keep my 2001. I can rebuild the front end & tires etc, maybe even do twins! And still be less than the deprecation of a new truck in the first year. I don't like the emissions idea. Had a 02 VW Jetta, was a pain having to clean the EGR all the time. By time my truck is done, who knows what there will be out there. Should be good for another 10 yrs anyways.
Thanks
jack
Old 11-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Good luck Jack

Im sure it'll be killer when your done with it!

Sent from my iPod Shuffle using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TDIDog
Well, thanks for all the input guys! I think I have made my decision. I am going to keep my 2001. I can rebuild the front end & tires etc, maybe even do twins! And still be less than the deprecation of a new truck in the first year. I don't like the emissions idea. Had a 02 VW Jetta, was a pain having to clean the EGR all the time. By time my truck is done, who knows what there will be out there. Should be good for another 10 yrs anyways.
Thanks
jack
----------------
Jack, I think you are making the right decision Sir! As you already pointed out, you can put ALOT of money in that 2001 before you will ever get close
to what just the interest would cost you on a new $50,000.00+ 4th Gen!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Shootist
Not upset John P, just calling out the 4th gen owners that gladly post pics and speak well of their rigs to tell their side of the story and let the original poster weigh the options.
---------------------------------------------------------
Looks like the original poster has made his decision!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
---------------------------------------------------------
Looks like the original poster has made his decision!
Perhaps......... But he doesn't say if he actually test drove a 4th gen. In my opinion a modified second gen will never be a 4th gen in ride and comfort not to mention braking ability no matter how much money you throw at it. If you factor in how cheap a 4th gen gas truck is if you don't need the towing ability of the diesel that would be the way to go.

Quick Reply: 2001 vs 2010, 11, or 12