4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2001 vs 2010, 11, or 12

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 vs 2010, 11, or 12

Thinking about a new truck. Mine has only 105000 km on it. Wondering if Dodge has fixed all their problems. Is it worth getting a new one, or would I have to start the upgrade process again? Might as well keep mine then. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
jack
Old 11-22-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The ride and performance difference is unbelievable, the heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel are great so is the exhaust brake. The on board Nav works better than any I have had. The integrated trailer brake controller... well some have had problems including me. That said the rear hitch is worse because it's now "integrated" into the rear frame and bumper so adding a HD one is more complicated. The bad is the emission "stuff", it's great if you remove it all and run a programmer to get rid of the codes as it increases performance and fuel economy BUT many dealers will void your warranty. Unfortunately I now believe this is the only option if you live in colder climates and use it as a daily driver. Would I buy the 2011 over my 2001 again? in a heart beat, but what I wouldn't do is buy in Canada. I would buy in the US at a much lower price, keep my money and let Chrysler keep their warranty.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:13 PM

See I've done all those upgrades to my 01, so thats why I'm having trouble starting over again. How can you buy a new truck in the states? Didn't think you could import new or near new? Thanks for input.
Cheers
jack
Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 2011 and a 1999. Both require the standard Cummins upgrades. Extra fuel filtration if you want to save/increase life of injectors, Fuel Pump if any power mods are made, steering stabalizer, better shocks, front end is pretty much the same so similar issues, leveling kit if you want bigger tires/wheels, AMSOIL bypass system, the list goes on.

OBTW plus all the garbage emission stuff you gotta deal with. But, isn't that why we have these trucks? We know what is needed for increased vehicle life and thats why we do it. If you bump the power up too much you will also need a converter/transmission.

If you get one be sure to get the 2011.5 or 2012 HO. And be ready with your 50,000 dollar check also.

I love both trucks but I only own one of them and thats a big plus. I 2nd the idea about the warranty, it's useless if you mod the truck.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by TDIDog
Thinking about a new truck. Mine has only 105000 km on it. Wondering if Dodge has fixed all their problems. Is it worth getting a new one, or would I have to start the upgrade process again? Might as well keep mine then. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
jack
That is a debatable subject, much like who makes the best truck, what is the best oil to run, and which toilet paper is the least irritating?

At 105K you truck is almost broke in.
You don't say what transmission, options, etc. you have and what you use the truck for.

With the mileage that low, it sounds almost like it is a weekend trailer hauler in summer.

I totally agree with the other comments in that there are so many differences between our older trucks and the new ones that it isn't a black & white issue. However, I bet by 2016 we'll be commenting on how much better & nicer the trucks are than those old 2010 models.... it never ends.

Personally, I would consider doing a major fix up of the old truck (you don't say what condition it is really like).
Even if you put in some real serious coin (let's say 10-15G) and had all of the sheet metal repaired/replaced as necessary. All new ball joints, bushings, IP, lift pump, new dash, & so on - you'd have a pretty decent set of wheels that would do you for another great many years. How much would that new truck cost you? Even if you financed the repairs, they would be a fraction of the new truck repairs. (maybe it would be way less because you've done a lot of the upgrades).

Now. If you put on 100K a year - that would probably be a totally different story as there are different economics involved.

One thing about an '01.... there never was any emissions crap to get in the way....
Old 11-24-2011, 12:20 AM

Well I bought the truck new in Dec 2000, basically just used it to tow a fifth-wheel camper. I've done a DDT tranny when it had 20k Klms has pac brake, DDT smart box to control lock up, Fass pump, 4" exhaust, bla bla bla. Now I sold the trailer, and my work truck, so now I use the 01 for work, & have gotten a slide in camper. The 01 2500 trucks payload is a bit light for what I am doing. The weight is not a problem, but is over the allowable payload. It does needs ball joints and shocks, tie rods, tires, so thats what got me thinking. But I could bring my truck back to new for less than the depreciation on the new truck in the first year. Did I say it has no rust. I rust proofed it with waxoil when I got it. I've almost talked myself in to keeping the 01.
Thanks for all the input. Any more thoughts?
jack
Old 11-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by New2Diesel
I have a 2011 and a 1999. Both require the standard Cummins upgrades. Extra fuel filtration if you want to save/increase life of injectors, Fuel Pump if any power mods are made, steering stabalizer, better shocks, front end is pretty much the same so similar issues, leveling kit if you want bigger tires/wheels, AMSOIL bypass system, the list goes on.

OBTW plus all the garbage emission stuff you gotta deal with. But, isn't that why we have these trucks? We know what is needed for increased vehicle life and thats why we do it. If you bump the power up too much you will also need a converter/transmission.

If you get one be sure to get the 2011.5 or 2012 HO. And be ready with your 50,000 dollar check also.

I love both trucks but I only own one of them and thats a big plus. I 2nd the idea about the warranty, it's useless if you mod the truck.
I disagree, there are no required Cummins upgrades. You can drive a new truck off the lot and do anything the average person wants.
I drive a stock 2010 with 22,000 miles, pull a variety of different trailers between 6k and 10k and am very happy as is. I average about 17mpg hwy, the truck is very comfortable, I like the styling, and I paid about $37 new.
I say buy one.

Marc
Old 11-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Hi Marc, thats the thing, for me to buy a new truck in Canada, I'll have to pay like $60k+, which is ridiculous. Also, looks like there is no long box single rear wheel 3500 any more. I don't want a dually. I've found a used 2010 long box with 55k klm, might take a look at it. I don't know, my old trucks looking better all the time! I could dress it up pretty nice & still have $50k in my pocket!

jack
Old 11-24-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Go test drive one..... you'll see and feel the difference, and don't buy it in Canada. Many people buy their vehicles in the US, and some dealers make it very easy for you.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TDIDog
Thanks
jack
---------------
TDIDog:

If it were me, I would save my money and keep your 2001. The Dodge dealers out here where I live are seeing alot of problems with these new Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Trucks! Everything from constant "check engine/CEL" lights to injector and EGR problems to more serious issues like fuel in the oil, and broken turbo shafts! Couple that with the high prices of these new trucks and to me, that is about enough.

---------
John_P
Old 11-24-2011, 03:51 PM

My 11.5 is a single wheel long box 3500 crew cab.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I now what you mean i am in the same boat but with 300,000 on the truck, still can not justify spending that kind of money I have driven 2010 lots and yes it is a nice truck but only with all the deletes maybe looking at something smaller the price on diesel is getting way out of hand and gas trucks are getting better millage i am not towing as much as I use to
Old 11-25-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
---------------
TDIDog:

If it were me, I would save my money and keep your 2001. The Dodge dealers out here where I live are seeing alot of problems with these new Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Trucks! Everything from constant "check engine/CEL" lights to injector and EGR problems to more serious issues like fuel in the oil, and broken turbo shafts! Couple that with the high prices of these new trucks and to me, that is about enough.

---------
John_P
I see this posted a lot, but I have been very lucky and have not had a single engine issue. Only a pesky key fob that keeps killing batteries, and a u-joint and carrier bearing fail at 41K, and 52K miles respectively. Deleted since 26K miles, but did not have a single hiccup before that as well.

I know others have not been so lucky or happy with their 6.7L problems.

I say do what you like...if you buy the new one, and don't want to worry at all, then plan for an extra couple grand to do full deletes, or at least an extra grand to do simple deletes.

I had a 98, and the new TRUCK is light years ahead of the old one....now the engine...it's a little hard to compare a 650hp 12v with a built DTT tranny to a stock-ish 6.7L, but I'm happy for what I need.

Chris

BTW, hope all is going well John, with you and yours.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by signature600
I see this posted a lot, but I have been very lucky and have not had a single engine issue. Only a pesky key fob that keeps killing batteries, and a u-joint and carrier bearing fail at 41K, and 52K miles respectively. Deleted since 26K miles, but did not have a single hiccup before that as well.

I know others have not been so lucky or happy with their 6.7L problems.

I say do what you like...if you buy the new one, and don't want to worry at all, then plan for an extra couple grand to do full deletes, or at least an extra grand to do simple deletes.

I had a 98, and the new TRUCK is light years ahead of the old one....now the engine...it's a little hard to compare a 650hp 12v with a built DTT tranny to a stock-ish 6.7L, but I'm happy for what I need.

Chris

BTW, hope all is going well John, with you and yours.
-------------------------------------------------------
Chris:

Hey buddy, good to see you posting here Sir! Hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving.

Chris, I am glad to hear you have had good luck and reliability with your new truck. IMHO,......you are one of the few I know that are actually happy with the new truck. The majority of my friends that own them are sorry they bought them. One of my buddies just had his factory Dodge warranty VOIDED on his 2011 Dodge CTD CR 6.7 because he had done the DPF delete, had engine issues and they caught the deletes in the ECM through their DRB Scanner somehow! He is REALLY mad and is fighting Dodge on it as I type this. The repairs to his new truck are going to be in the thousands.

While I would agree with you that the new trucks are very nice Chris the potential problems that I have seen here are way too numerous for me to consider ever buying another NEW Dodge CTD CR Truck. Heck Chris I just had to put SIX NEW CR Injectors into my 2006 and the dang truck has only 116,000 miles on it! I never touched my 1996 injectors until it had over 200,000 miles. The CR Injectors are high as heck to replace too.

But like you said Chris, each and every one of us have to decide for ourselves if we buy a new Dodge CTD CR or not. For me,.....it is no thanks!

Take care buddy!

--------
John_P
Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
-------------------------------------------------------
Chris:

Hey buddy, good to see you posting here Sir! Hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving.

Chris, I am glad to hear you have had good luck and reliability with your new truck. IMHO,......you are one of the few I know that are actually happy with the new truck. The majority of my friends that own them are sorry they bought them. One of my buddies just had his factory Dodge warranty VOIDED on his 2011 Dodge CTD CR 6.7 because he had done the DPF delete, had engine issues and they caught the deletes in the ECM through their DRB Scanner somehow! He is REALLY mad and is fighting Dodge on it as I type this. The repairs to his new truck are going to be in the thousands.

While I would agree with you that the new trucks are very nice Chris the potential problems that I have seen here are way too numerous for me to consider ever buying another NEW Dodge CTD CR Truck. Heck Chris I just had to put SIX NEW CR Injectors into my 2006 and the dang truck has only 116,000 miles on it! I never touched my 1996 injectors until it had over 200,000 miles. The CR Injectors are high as heck to replace too.

But like you said Chris, each and every one of us have to decide for ourselves if we buy a new Dodge CTD CR or not. For me,.....it is no thanks!

Take care buddy!

--------
John_P

Unfortunately John, with the newer trucks, it is a crapshoot as far as reliability goes. Someday, I believe they will get the injectors more reliable in them...someday.

Chris

Quick Reply: 2001 vs 2010, 11, or 12