3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Upgraded steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05doolie
I am told by Dan at Bremerton Dodge [dodgeparts.com] that the linkage parts # has been superceded again from 52122362AB to AE,[E for more Expensive]? $222.00
I just bought the AB so checked with my dealer on this, he has the AB's in stock. He did confirm the supersede to AE and that # is on Back order. No data was available on what was different.
Just a guess but it may include a pitman arm. Its been mentioned that the pitman arm on the 08's has a different angle to it and if you use the old pitman arm with the new linkage its possible for the drag link stud on the pitman arm could contact the cross link under full suspension compression.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 AM

I was told it is the same replacement parts,just a different vendor.I believe because of the popularity of this new linkage design,the price is going up.
Victim of supply and demand roll with the punches again--I have had this shimmy over a year now and was never informed of these parts until I read it here.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:27 PM

Need some help on this.... I have never experienced the death wobble (and prefer not to) so I took my truck to the dealership today and told them about the TSB to fix and that I had the death wobble once. Dealership's reply is that he has never heard of the death wobble on a Dodge, only on Wranglers so he wants to see if he can make it happen again. Stupid me forgets to ask him exactly how he is going to recreate this. I know we are a little slow down here in Alabama, but isn't this death wobble a common issue? I've seen it happen to someone else and prefer not to experience. I'm just trying to figure out how he will recreate and why on my truck. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tell him you are not going to risk him wrecking your vehicle trying to recreate a condition that could very easily wind up in an accident. Show him the TSB. That alone shows that Dodge is aware of the issue on these trucks. Then tell him to fix it. If he won't, find another dealership or make your opinion of the service manager known to the dealership owner and explain how his dealership is refusing service on a known issue with a potential life threatening condition.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 PM

Mine is going in tomorrow morning. Service manager said he would let me know if it was still covered and if they will replace under warranty due to my lift and tires. I'm crossing my fingers.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 PM

I couldn’t take it anymore so I broke down and ordered this new steering setup. It came in today so I don’t know when I’ll get a chance to put it on. Let me tell you this new setup is hoss compared to the original parts! I just crawled under my truck and the original parts look like they belong on a car next to this.

Does anyone have the PN for the new pitman arm? I’m thinking the stud from the pitman arm could tag the new link for the new link comes forward more than the original. I guess they were trying to clear the front differential since it doesn’t angle up as much like the wimpy setup.

Maybe rather than the new pitman arm I should jut throw a 2” lift/leveling kit on the front?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much did the parts run ya? i went in for this and they wouldn't do crap since i had a 3 inch lift
Old 11-21-2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by mitternocht
Does anyone have the PN for the new pitman arm? I’m thinking the stud from the pitman arm could tag the new link for the new link comes forward more than the original.
What about heating and bending the oem, off vehicle of course.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:42 AM

I just bought my 04.5 and got a 2yr OEM warranty with it. I'm sending it in right away. This is how they should've done it in the first place. Not to mention, it's a far cry cheaper than the Thuren X-over. Ford went to this style in 05 with their new suspension. Wonder why it took Dodge 4yrs to get with the program. Too bad I already replaced the whole steering setup on the 03. That was a waste of money looking back on it.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:13 AM

The linkage setup was $194.00+ tax. I was in idiot and ordered the damper for $142.00. I think an aftermarket one would be cheaper, or the original damper style could be modified by removing the post and inserting a sleeve. Later tonight I’ll try to get some pictures.

I agree; I don’t know what took Dodge so long to redesign the front linkage.

I don’t know that I would want to mess with bending the OEM pitman arm, however I bet cutting the end off the pitman arm ball joint stud might offer more clearance.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by mitternocht
I was in idiot and ordered the damper for $142.00. I think an aftermarket one would be cheaper
Don't feel so bad, I researched this too and got some pretty good info from Don http://thurenfabrication.com/ramstab.html about options. I didn't feel I needed the killer setup he sells so we talked about Rancho units and I learned that he has tested Rancho's against OEM and found the OEM's better.

The other day I had the opportunity to see a Rancho side by side with the one you bought and the shaft & tube size on the OEM is way bigger.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Here is the old damper next to the new damper. (My truck has a Rancho on it, lol) You might be able to grind the stud cap you could pull the stud out, replace it with a bushing and use the old damper

Old 11-22-2008, 08:50 AM

Here is the new steering setup:
:

:

:

:

:

:
Old 11-22-2008, 08:54 AM

My truck is going to be getting worked on this week by an independent shop, and this might be something worth looking into.

Am I reading right that you get the whole new steering setup pictured above (less the damper) for $194 pllus tax?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ohyeahfriday
My truck is going to be getting worked on this week by an independent shop, and this might be something worth looking into.

Am I reading right that you get the whole new steering setup pictured above (less the damper) for $194 pllus tax?
That is what I paid for 52122362AB; however guys are saying it has been superseded by 52122362AE for $222.

Quick Reply: Upgraded steering