3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How do you remove the radio in '06 truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:50 PM
mxa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How do you remove the radio in '06 truck?

I just picked up my 06 MegaCab 3500 and it came with the RAQ am/fm 6 cd/mp player. I want to replace it with the REC Navigation radio, but don't know how to properly remove the existing one. Does anyone know how to do this? I want to do it myself rather than take it to the dealer.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 08:59 PM

My brother was going to replace his stock radio in his MegaCab and this is how he said to do it. First, you have to remove the floor console, then the square, upright panel just above the floor console, and finally, the entire center dash will pop out. There are some screws somewhere in all those pieces but I can't remember exactly where he said.

Isn't the Nav radio a different shape (square) than the other available radios (square with a semicircle on each side)? Won't you need a whole new center dash piece?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:01 AM
mxa

Yes the radios are different shape. The navigation radio comes with some sort of installation kit and I think it includes the front wood grain replacement. On the other radios there's a small CD storage built into the dash just under the radio. When the navigation radio is installed the CD storage space is taken up by the radio, so the whole front must be replaced where the air vents are located.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:41 PM

I just picked up a brand-new 2006 3500 that included the incredibly awful factory "sound" system. I've been doing lots of research in preparation to replace it.

If you want to use a standard (DIN) replacement radio, go to Circuit City and buy the Metra TurboKit 99-6507 (Circuit City stock number MET996507). This replaces the stock radio with an insert that fills in the weird half-circles on either side. Best of all, and different than the other such inserts, this one takes advantage of the factory radio's excessive height by including another little cubbyhole beneath the DIN faceplate cutout.

Now, if I could just figure out how to disassemble the dash and replace the factory radio... none of the car stereo shops I've talked to have experience with the new 2006 dash design. I can't find any screws anywhere, and I don't want to break something on a brand-new truck.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:17 AM
mxa

WACTD,
I haven't had a chance lately to post what I ended up doing because of working long hours, but I figured it all out and it worked beautifully!
The radio space on the RAM is a double DIN format, so I could have bought something like the Pioneer Nav Radio and it would fit there perfectly.

None of the radio techs that I talked to had any experience on the new RAM either, so I was nervous to let them take the thing apart. So, since I bought the stock Dodge Nav Radio with Sirius Sat. kit, I bought a new center dash bezel that is made for this option. It costs about $85 and I went with the satin silver which added a nice touch. Anyway, I wanted everything to look stock, so that's the route I went and it looks great.

Taking the center bezel is fairly easy and it take about 20 minutes or so, depending on whether you have the stick or automatic and if you have the front bench or captain seats with center console. Mine has the split bench and it's automatic, so I have the cup holders on the floor. You pull the rubber cup holders (they're in there with little tabs and you can press them back in). Once you have the rubbery cup holder off, you'll see about 4 screws. take those off and the floor console comes off. Next, look toward the dash and under the center bezel. There are two screws that need to come off. Once you've taken these 2 screw off the entire center bezel is held in by clips. So, next, use a couple of putty knives or butter knives (something flat and strong, but not sharp enough to scratch the plastic) and start from the bottom corner of the center bezel and pull gently, then use the other knife and work your way toward the other corner. then just pull the bezel off toward you trying not to bend it too much in an angle. The radio is held in place with 4 screws.
My installation was easy since the new Nav radio has the same plug. I just had to remove the top of the dash also, so that I could install the navigation antenna there.
The system sounds GREAT and I just love this truck!

I keep saying I have to take some pictures and post them, but it seems like it's raining here EVERY DAY!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:25 PM

Hey, it doesn't rain every day, just Monday through Sunday.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:24 PM

have any pics of that dash kit wactd?? I am curious to see, as i have a brand new kenwood deck witch sirius sat. radio i took out of my ford i sold, but was afraid to put it in the dodge as it would look goofy with the two half circles cut out of the dash for no reason. does it fill in the two half circles with wood look alike materail?? or is it black? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:23 PM

MXA, thanks for posting your instructions! I hope to get a chance to try them next week.

Honda_Guy4, here's a photo. As you can see, it has fillers for the semicircles on either side. You can also see the pocket below the DIN cutout.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:26 PM

wactd

i noticed you said your going to get an undercover.

I researched covers pretty hard. as long as you don't frequently haul objects that couldn't fit under the cover it's sweet!

best price of anything

more durable

looks good

once I was keen on it I called 5 or so accessory shops and they all steered me towards it.

oh yeah, and it looks better than a cap or a fiberglass lid...both lame looks on the truck...IMHO...really, they do.

you'll like it
Old 01-29-2006, 04:59 PM

Yep, I've researched them extensively too. I almost fell into the trap of purchasing another, sliding-type cover, but luckily found 1) the problems with that cover, and 2) the advantages of the Undercover.

Hauling things that are too tall is a problem with any tonneau, but one of the nicest things about the Undercover is its light weight and easy removal. One person can do it, and two can do it easily.

Mine should arrive any day now, and I'll post info and perhaps some pictures when it's installed.

Thanks!