3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ghost in Radio.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghost in Radio.

Anybody have a factory radio that automatically starts to adjust the volume while idleing or even when going down the road. Yes, I know about the speed sensor radios, but this is weird that it would decrease at highway speeds and increase while filling up (idling in subzero temps) at the local fuel station. I think I am getting interference from another radio reciever or something. I also can not get the radio to do it on command. I have the steering wheel mounted controls if that helps.

I tried searching, but the search menu does not like me to day. Keep saying could not find any information.

Shawn
Old 01-12-2010, 11:22 PM

It could be the controls on the head unit are between two positions or clicks. I have had that problem with the stations changing and found this to be the problem.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 PM

I doubt it, but you may be right. The volume **** has been acting weird too lately and takes more input to get it to work. Otherwise, I still thinking radio interference from another remote control device.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 PM

I am amazed. With a ton of radio guru's on this board and no one has a solid answer on what would cause a malfunction of the volume control on a factory radio. Oh, wait. I know the fix.

Shawn
Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 PM

My ghost prevents the radio from outputting sound when I start the truck once in a while. If I turn the truck off and restart it the output comes on. When there is no sound output the controls all function except the volume.

Any good ideas?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Hey Diesel4play,
What type of radio do you have?

Mine is still the OEM and it started to do this over the last year and is getting worst. What happens is when I am going down the road or even sitting at a light the volume will either increase to about 25-30 or go completely mute. At first I thought it was me, but my wife watched this happen too. While it was blarring, I tried to get the volume to reduce, but hat to fight it for a few seconds before the volume control **** would work. So does anybody, have any other idea?

Shawn
Old 01-17-2010, 07:59 PM

I have the stock am/fm/sat/cd stereo. So far it just cuts out when started, I thought it was when it rained but it did it a couple days ago when it was sunny and warm, some things about California are good.
I would like to put a good aftermarket stereo in it but can't afford it now.

Anyone had problems and fixed them?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel4play
I have the stock am/fm/sat/cd stereo. So far it just cuts out when started, I thought it was when it rained but it did it a couple days ago when it was sunny and warm, some things about California are good.
I would like to put a good aftermarket stereo in it but can't afford it now.

Anyone had problems and fixed them?
Sounds like you have a bad ignition switch causing your problem.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Cutting out when started tends to lend itself to the ignition side of the wiring. I have to agree with Spooler on that one.

So far I do not have that problem yet but, I still have a ghost though. Just last night the radio wanted to increase. Then decrease. However, I kept the steering wheel control button to lower the volume held down as I fought the sparatic radio increase and decrease. It happen just under 10 minutes of starting the truck and driving to town. I turned the radio off and then turned it back on and the problem went away. Still at a lost.

Shawn
Old 01-18-2010, 08:21 PM

Same problem here I have the In dash NAV and mine started increasing the volume and muting the syetem on its own and over time got alot worse, now my volume *** on the head unit is worthless even on a good day, I have to now use my controls on the wheel for volume.

I removed the unit from the dash and dissasembled it trying to find a ribbon wire or a poor soder job that came loose but no luck but I did find that if you turn off the radio when its throwing a fit and turn it back on problem solved for a few days or hours.

I heard from a friend of a place in new york that specialize in fixing OEM radios and they are resonable on the price, not sure on the phone # anymore, but if I can find it il post it. I just learned to live with it till i can get a new Alpine in dash NAV
Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 PM

That is what I am afraid I might have to do too. The only thing that got me worried is the Infinity Amplifier wiring and losing my steering wheel controls. I also do not want to pay for another Navigation radio and then have to pay for annual subscriptions to use it only once a year.

Shawn