3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Not happy with my 06

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Not happy with my 06

60k miles I am noticing that the paint has started to bubble above my drivers rear fender. I waxed my truck last week and I didn't see anything then.

I'll take it in on Tuesday, and see if it is covered (it should be 5years or 100k miles).
I am honestly trying to keep this thing in perspective and to consider it a isolated case, but I am kinda of sitting on the fence about keeping the truck. Up here if they start to rust (due to our climate) in one area on the body it may/will start in other areas, tailgate etc.

I will change brands at that point, mechanical problems I understand but to start to rust/bubble paint in 3years (this month)for a 50K Can truck when new is unacceptable.

I have seen Dodge trucks older than mine without this I am not sure why mine is doing it. It has never been off road ever and I am religious about washing my truck and powerwashing all the grime off of it in the winter.... maybe I did this?

Anybody else have this happen? What are your thoughts?
Old 08-01-2009, 10:22 AM

i wouldn't know how that would happen. I am not as religious about washing and waxing on my 06 but with 80k miles my paint still looks brand spanking new.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:59 AM

Check your paper work. I thought the body only had 5 year 50,000 mile warranty, at least on the 05 that is what is listed. Now on another note, I welcome you to the crappy paint club. Our trucks have been said to have very thin paint. It exspecially shows when your have a dark color and rock chips. If you look closely at the rocker panels seams you might even find rust starting to form. Best of luck at the dealer, I doubt they will be much help unless you have an extended warranty that covers the body.

Shawn
Old 08-01-2009, 11:27 AM

Yep, they do have thin paint. Seems like all newer cars and trucks do. I read somewhere it was government regulated, that they could only use so much paint on vehicle. Doubt this is true, probably just doing it as cheaply as they can. Sorry about your truck. I agree, if it is already doing it, it will be pretty shoddy in a few more years. I would speculate that it is oxidation happening under the paint for whatever reason, I bet rust is under those bubbles. Where you live, I don't blame you for considering getting rid of it. Maybe with only 60K miles you can still get a good price on trade or straight sale. Good luck up there.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:53 AM

Spend the money to get it painted properly if you aren't happy with it. What's it going to cost? $1,000? How much are you going to lose if you dump it and get something else?

I have an '05 that has been in the Arizona sun for almost 5 years. No problems whatsoever with the paint. We don't have problems with rust here.

I wouldn't shoot a race horse because his mane has a few tangles in it.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Thats not a paint issue (though I do agree the paint is pathetic). It is pretty common, and only on the sides of the box. Can't remember the exact specs but some sealing problem on the inner fender, where water gets in and rusts the metal from the inside out. Bubbling paint means the rust is coming from the inside, and simply making the paint flake off.

The warranty on that is 5yr/100k miles.

On that warranty basicly they don't have to do anything unless it's rusted right threw, but tons of people have got the bedside replaced with enough complaining.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Our '05 Honda Pilot is superb mechanically but the paint scratches sooooo easily. It maybe universal now.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:50 PM

Your not alone, my 04 has 4 bubbles in the paint right at the top arch of the rear passenger fenderwell. The biggest one is about the size of a dime and rust color is just starting to leak ou(the others look like pimples)... I don't know about you but my outter body is covered for 10y-100K...

I plan on taking mine in right before the time / mileage expires and having them fix it. The only reason I am waiting is because I want to keep a close eye on the driverside...

The bad thing is that this truck is a street queen, and has never been on anything more then wet grass since I bought it new...
Old 08-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

less paint, less weight. better mpg...... Look around at what the new truck nightmare is lately and decide what is worse.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Asher
Your not alone, my 04 has 4 bubbles in the paint right at the top arch of the rear passenger fenderwell. The biggest one is about the size of a dime and rust color is just starting to leak ou(the others look like pimples)...
That is exactly what mine is doing except on the driverside, and from the inside out!.

I know it's not the paint because it is rusting from the inside of the outer fenderwell out....

My wife and I have talked about it, and if dodge fixes it, or if I have to fix it that's fine. If more rust or spots show up in the near future, I 'll fix those too, then were going truck hunting.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:56 PM

I don't think it is a new regulation that make the paint thin. Dodge paint always sucked. I have 98 Dakota, black, and the paint on the bed, roof, doors and bumpers is completely worn through the clearcoat. It looks like the truck has a white fungus growing on it Now my 06, Ram still looks good, but if you look closely on the rocker panels you can see many small chips that show through.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:03 PM

I have a close friend who manages a Ford body shop. Dodge isn't the only company skimping on paint. Toyota, etc. All of them.
I would get it professionally repaired, determine why it is doing it, correct that, and have a better truck. All makes will rust. I am seeing all 3 of the American made trucks rusting in the fender wells and cab corners, in our area. You would think the manufacturers would have rust solved by now, but they don't seem interested.
Earlier Dodge owners deal with the lower doors rusting. Ford's get eaten up in the cab corners and rear fender wells. Chevy's in the cab corners, and beds. Toyota's, the frames. None of them last. I would rather fix my 94 and know what I have, instead of buying a new one and waiting to see where it goes bad.
Just my opinion.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hodge
I have a close friend who manages a Ford body shop. Dodge isn't the only company skimping on paint. Toyota, etc. All of them.
I would get it professionally repaired, determine why it is doing it, correct that, and have a better truck. All makes will rust. I am seeing all 3 of the American made trucks rusting in the fender wells and cab corners, in our area. You would think the manufacturers would have rust solved by now, but they don't seem interested.
Earlier Dodge owners deal with the lower doors rusting. Ford's get eaten up in the cab corners and rear fender wells. Chevy's in the cab corners, and beds. Toyota's, the frames. None of them last. I would rather fix my 94 and know what I have, instead of buying a new one and waiting to see where it goes bad.
Just my opinion.
Thanks for that insight. I am leaning towards that as well.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CatDiesel_762
Check your paper work. I thought the body only had 5 year 50,000 mile warranty, at least on the 05 that is what is listed. Now on another note, I welcome you to the crappy paint club. Our trucks have been said to have very thin paint. It exspecially shows when your have a dark color and rock chips. If you look closely at the rocker panels seams you might even find rust starting to form. Best of luck at the dealer, I doubt they will be much help unless you have an extended warranty that covers the body.

Shawn
About a year ago, I ran into a shelf with my truck. The auto-body shop used some sort of magnetic device and told me that the paint was almost twice as thick as the Ford he had just worked on. Of course, that doesn't make the paint that is on the truck is any good...
Old 08-05-2009, 11:02 AM

I had the bubbles forming on the drivers rear wheel well Local dealer replaced the boxside under warranty at 33000

I noticed when I installed my black bezel headlights that there is a littloe more bubbling on the passenger side headlight cutout Havent taken it in yet though

Quick Reply: Not happy with my 06