3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

door locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door locks

I have a problum with my door locks. About a month ago I lock my door and all but the drivers door lock. I did not have the keys in the ignition. I got out and lock with the key fob. Seen the door did not lock but all the others were locked. So it kept doing it for two week I would just have to push down on it when i got out then use my key to get back in. It does not matter if you ust the fob or the power lock button. So I took door panel off and tested wires and right when i took door panel off it start working. Two days later it quit working again. Then it started working and now the passange door is doing the samething. What does it sound like to you guys and girls? It has me I am stumped. My thought is maybe the switch. What is yours?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check for a broken wire in the harness boot that is on the hinge side of the door. You may have to slit it to see the wiring inside it and then retape it to get it re-closed up. But I would start elsewhere first as the major part of the locking system is in the drivers door so start there again.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:54 PM

I am having this problem also, except it is my driver side rear door?! I guess I'll start there also, if not that what next?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:11 AM

My drivers door did that for about a month and then one day it started working and has worked fine but now it is my passanger side. After posting this the other day I went to work and the passanger door was working lock at 15 and would unlock with switch and key fob. But that lasted for about half the day now it is not working again.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:26 PM

Several months back my drivers door quit unlocking. I could not unlock it with the key or by hand. I went and bought a new lock mechanism at Dodge for about $45 and put it in and that fixed my problem. The old one was frozen and nothing I did would free it up. With the problems you are describing my first thought was the same as mine but now with the passenger door doing it I am not so sure.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My drivers door would not unlock right by fob or key. It had a frozen solenoid and the dealer replaced it under warranty.
Mike
###
Old 06-17-2007, 05:37 PM

I am thinking the door lock mechanism at the offending door is the problem. There has been some post about drivers door locks locking people out and they had to use another door. This results in the new offending door having more wear and tear on it. Exspecially, if you do not have your door locks set up to unlock all at once when pushing the key fob. Then you had to use this door to enter the truck, which results in more use of the lock mechanism at this door. I also thinking it might be cheesey poor quality parts. People on these forums and others have complained about Dodge using infearior parts. Like ball joints .

Shawn
Old 06-17-2007, 07:03 PM

When my drivers door did not unlock with the switch or the fob it would unlock fine if I would use a key or just pull up on the lock. The passanger door works sometimes and not other times. Who knows?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:08 AM

You need to replace the door lock actuator. I replaced the passenger side rear last winter and the driver side front last Thursday. The list price on the rear was $28.00 and I paid $21.00. The front list price was $36.00 and I paid $27.00. My parts guy gives me dealer price on parts. The thing I couldn't understand is why the front was higher priced than the rear. They look virtually the same, just different sides. The parts guy did say the driver side front was a new superceded part number.
The installation is relatively easy. To remove the door panel remove 1 phillips screw at the inner mirror cover, remove the inner door handle (10 mm or torx) 10 mm socket works best for me, 1 phillips screw behind the inner door handle and 2 phillips screws at the bottom of the door panel. Once all of these are removed pull upwards on the door panel to release it. Next unhook the two wiring harnesses for the window controls and locks. Pull the dust barrier out of the way. Remove the two torx screws that retain the window channel and slide it up and out of the way. Next remove the three torx screws that hold the door lock actuator in. The entire latching - locking actuator mechanism comes out as a complete assembly. Unlatch the retaining clips that hold the rods, disconnect the wiring harness and remove. Reverse the procedure for reassembly. The entire process can be completed in 30 - 45minutes.