3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Super B/s400 twins are on and spoolin away

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super B/s400 twins are on and spoolin away

What a week, we started in earnest on Tuesday removing everything on the passenger side of the engine. On Wednesday we started layout and fabbing. On Thursday we started first install, and finished fabbing the hot pipe and manifold elbow for the external wastegate, Friday the coldpipe, down pipe, oil lines were installed and Saturday we finished the intake, big turbo support, tightening all the turbos and finalizing placement of the electrical components moved and reinstalled the fender well components and wheel. We could have done it all in two full days but we both had other stuff to do and a few more pieces than expected had to be fabbed from scratch...as usual.

We decided to move Battery 2 to the back of the truck as it gave us a much smoother turbo to turbo cold air flow.....and looked much better. The external wastegate ended up exactly where we wanted it...you'll see it when the pictures clear. Once the system is tuned an tested on the dyno.....we'll pull off the pieces and polish, powdercoat, and shine things up. The Hotpipe an manifold elbow were fabbed out of 316 SS and they will gleam when polished.
The AFE's didn't arrive in time so we had to fab an intake that would accept a standard truck filter (not a clamp on bhap) and be ready to accept the AFE's when they arrive.

When we had everything back together, we connnected the batteries, turned the key and in half a click she was roaring like a kitten. The truck is so quiet now I can hear the groaning of the FASS. I still have the TST on 40psi boost limit until Monday....It has been raining cats and dogs.... But,...last night on the way home I let it rip for a couple of runs at WOT....It hits 12psi and zoom you're gone. I don't have the 80psi boost gauge in yet, but once it goes by 20psi the wastegate feeds the big turbo directly and the EGT's drop 400 degrees and it flys.
We didn't have time to finish the exhaust so my exhaust exits at the end of the downpipe. Once it passes the TST limit of 40psi the engine roars so loud I have to back off. Testing will continue tomorrow and if all goes well it will be dynoed on Tuesday on a Superflow. ks
Old 07-24-2006, 12:18 AM

great! keep us updated!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:28 AM

Thumbs up

Hey, saw the pics and it looks pretty awesome. Keep us updated after the dyno. Anxious to see what it does. Good luck and thanks.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:35 AM
Banned

Is this the new BD twins? Please keep us updated because I'm looking at purchasing these things.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:25 AM

BigBlue.....HaHaHa....obviously you didn't see the pictures. Nothing is painted or polished yet so it looks a little rough. Nope this is something I pieced together with some help from my good buddy Joseph....the welder, Strokethis600(SuperB), Jeff K(s400 fittings, and tons of silicone), and AK RAM (first hand advice) Thanks guys. Right now all I know about power is that there is no smoke at WOT past 12psi, it drives like stock up to 12psi and like a demon possessed above 20psi. Once the wastegate opens the temps at big fueling drop to 1150....just before the opening the temps have gotten to 1550 momentarily. When the big one lights it pulls to 186km/h (116mph) so fast its hard to comprehend. My nephew is a cop and car enthusiast and he said it was the first time he was scared accelerating in a vehicle.....He was looking at the GPS speed and he didn't know my redline and thought we were gonna go over 150mph we were pulling so hard at redline. ks
Old 07-24-2006, 10:40 AM

See, this is why, I'm planning now to end up with twins. Nice job. So would you recommend doing your own setup? I can weld, so I'm thinking I will do my own. What about getting a single battery big enough to not need the 2nd one?
Old 07-24-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another reason I'm going twins.... Awesome job!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:14 AM

I'm probably going to move the other battery backwards to shift the weight around a bit. Ideally one battery should be High Cranking Amps and the other Deep Cycle....one for starting and one for maintaining and accessories. Moving the battery costs less than $100 for 20' of 2 gauge cable, a Battery box, a couple brackets and time. I like having it in the rear. I'll probably Fab a nice Al. box to hide them that fits in the aux tank gap or on the floor when the tank is out. If you have a tool box its easier. Easier to take pix and see everything. Much easier to tune and change things for me. Once these twins are tuned and dynoed, They are coming off for paint and polish and the K31 super single setup will be going on for tuning and dyno. This is my hobby so its not like work. If you are somewhat skilled and have access to turbos, stainless and are good at fabbing stuff....they are easy to make and cheap. The first set will cost me 2100 for turbos and materials. The next set will be less. You learn alot. ks
Old 07-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

I saw the pics. I just didn't know if you were prototyping them for BD since their new set of twins uses those exact turbos. I'm really curious as to how the everyday spoolup and smoke control is.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:18 AM

After you break them in you should get on a dyno for us . Is the super b you speak of an s300?
Old 07-25-2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
After you break them in you should get on a dyno for us . Is the super b you speak of an s300?
Yes, basically a stock S300G, with 57mm compressor, and ~14cm housing, IIRC!!

Really an awesome spoolling turbo for what it is, and how well it cools
I've always wanted to try one in twins with an S400, sounds like I should have

Chris
Old 07-25-2006, 01:03 PM

I guess in an unofficial non direct communication way I am prototyping them for BD....just not getting paid and getting nothing for cheap. The compounds are closer to a Power by Poole set which I think are the best designer compounds available. This set has been guessed together but Olee's are designed together. Jeff K has a nice setup with PowerByPooles. If these don't work out hp wise, Olee's shop is my next stop. The wastegate actuation is a big part of how these work.....I'm running about 22 pounds of springs...Olees use a regulated air supply and a lighter spring which gives you much better control. All I can say is that I can't bark these turbos no matter how hard I try.....they are definitely spooling. The big turbo is laggy getting going but the Super B is very fast. With a 10 to 12 psi launch I think they will perform well. ks
Old 07-25-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlue
Is this the new BD twins? Please keep us updated because I'm looking at purchasing these things.
Not due out till Sept, 2006. If anything like their present setup...worth waiting for

RJ