3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stupid Smarty

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Stupid Smarty

Finally had dry roads yesterday. What I had thought was wheel spin is actually clutch slip in 5th and 6th.

Guess it's time to start figuring out what I want my truck to be when it grows up and start planning for that eventuality. I'm thinking 450hp tops, so a dual disk is probably overkill...Leaning towards a SB 1947ConOFE, but the dual disk is calling me for some reason.

Oh well...Anybody know a good shop in the Anchorage, AK area? I just don't have the space, jacks or time to do it myself.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Dude, don't skimp. Get as much as you can and still be able to daily drive it...
Old 11-13-2010, 05:53 PM

I don't want to skimp, which is why I'm looking at SBC instead of Valair or a Sachs/Luks replacement. I know ceramic clutches wear the flywheel a lot more, which means eventually I'll need another one, even if I drive it like a granny (which I won't). I didn't see a dual-disk non-ceramic clutch, but if they made it, I'd certainly consider it.

If I do it right this time with a clutch designed to hold more power than I'm ever going to make, it should last at least as long as the factory (91K miles) and that's good enough for me. I don't often tow heavy, don't pull sleds, and rarely race. I'll call SBC and probably follow their recommendation, but price is a factor this time and if I can save $500 by staying single disk and still get better than average performance, it's probably the way I have to go. What specific clutch combo would you recommend? Keep in mind I'm only thinking about 50hp injector tips and maybe a slightly larger turbo...no additional tuning other than the 100hp Smarty Jr tune.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I could have sworn I saw an organic DD... let me look. However, I'd call SB and do what they say. They have more clutch experience in their pinky fingernail than I have in my whole body!

I'm just saying, when I got my truck, all I wanted was a straight pipe and some tinted windows. Look where that got me.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dual disc clutches can hold a lot of power. The trade off is they tend to be more of an on-off switch. Engagement on a slippery surface can be a little tricky.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by .boB
Dual disc clutches can hold a lot of power. The trade off is they tend to be more of an on-off switch. Engagement on a slippery surface can be a little tricky.
That's another concern of mine, especially with the stupid coastal Alaskan winters that seem to take forever to get going. At least in Fairbanks when the snow hit, it was winter for real and I didn't have to worry about freezing rain until April!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
I could have sworn I saw an organic DD... let me look. However, I'd call SB and do what they say. They have more clutch experience in their pinky fingernail than I have in my whole body!
I just looked through the SBC site again and didn't see an organic DD. I'll call 'em on Monday and see what they suggest.

Originally Posted by madhat
I'm just saying, when I got my truck, all I wanted was a straight pipe and some tinted windows. Look where that got me.
I've suppressed the power calling since my first Cummins in '99. This truck has the most mods of any I've owned, and I've only added them in the interest of increased driveability or reliability, durability and longevity. If I was sure I'd get promoted once more and planned on hanging around for awhile longer I'd be more inclined to ramp up the power, but I've about run my course. The missus has supported my military addiction without grumble, and it's about time for me to repay the favor and support the education that leads to her career, even if it is 15yrs later than she'd planned.

I guess what I'm getting at is that even if I was interested in a 10 second truck, I've got a big-picture commitment that would stop it from happening. That, and she's promised me a Porsche 911 Targa S when she gets tenure and the kids are out of the house
Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

haha... I could be wrong. I'm still looking for what I thought I saw.

I'm ruined. If I had less self control, I'd be living in a three bedroom cardboard box on the side of the road with a 9 second truck...
Old 11-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

I see valair has a DD organic, but I did not see it on SBC.

Yeah, you'll have to call them.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:08 AM

Alright...finally found someone who needed my Ford Focus more than I did, so now I've got the dough to replace my clutch and do a few other things to my truck. In the months since I started this thread, I've been doing more research, and I'm really leaning towards the Valair Kevlar/Ceramic. The price is right, and it'll hold the power I'm looking to make with ease.

Anybody have any experience with this particular clutch?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Adaminak
Alright...finally found someone who needed my Ford Focus more than I did, so now I've got the dough to replace my clutch and do a few other things to my truck. In the months since I started this thread, I've been doing more research, and I'm really leaning towards the Valair Kevlar/Ceramic. The price is right, and it'll hold the power I'm looking to make with ease.

Anybody have any experience with this particular clutch?
I will also be needing a clutch in the not so distant future

I was looking at the SB and still might but the Valair does look to be a good clutch and with similar good customer support.