3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

egt probe????

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question egt probe????

ok quick question and hopefully a quick answer.... i have read one million three hunder and forty two ways to tap into the exhaust manifold for the egt probe. kidding... in all honesty what is the best way to go about it? i really dont want to destroy my turbo with shavings. please help.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:02 PM

just to clarify im not wondering about location im tapping into the manifold near the rear cylinders where they come together. just wondering about the best method for tapping into it... if that helps.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drill it, Tap it, Install the Probe, Start it... Mines still going, Any shavings will be blown past Turbo before it gets turning fast enough for any damage to happen...
Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by tryNto
Drill it, Tap it, Install the Probe, Start it... Mines still going, Any shavings will be blown past Turbo before it gets turning fast enough for any damage to happen...

thank you. i was about to go crazy so many people say different things. running vs. not running, greases drill bit vs. non-greased drill bit. magnets vs. shop vac. just gets all confusing.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by tryNto
X2 - Thats how I did mine. Just dont rev it up to spin right at the start shavings should blow through.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bankdude
X2 - Thats how I did mine. Just dont rev it up to spin right at the start shavings should blow through.
thank you! this really helps build my confidence!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Of course, by greasing the drill bit and tap, you will capture as many shavings as possible, and further reduce your chance of problems.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^^ indeed! I agree...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM

This is how I did mine, I did use the grease as an extra precaution, took the time to clean the drill bit and re-grease it a couple of times, same process for the tap. I also used a pen type magnet after the drilling was done and got no shavings on the magnet, the grease must have done the job, absolutley NO problems with the shavings or my turbo whatsoever.

Git er done.

CD
Old 02-24-2011, 02:04 PM

thank you very much gentleman! im tackling this project this weekend! ohhrah!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CD in NM
This is how I did mine, I did use the grease as an extra precaution, took the time to clean the drill bit and re-grease it a couple of times, same process for the tap. I also used a pen type magnet after the drilling was done and got no shavings on the magnet, the grease must have done the job, absolutley NO problems with the shavings or my turbo whatsoever.

Git er done.

CD
Same here!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by doc winters
thank you very much gentleman! im tackling this project this weekend! ohhrah!
x2 wish me luck! no fun cruising around with two out of three guages functioning.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done several and I dropped the turbo far enough to catch the chips but If I do any more, I will just do it running for a little extra precaution. Cast iron grinds up so fine anyway when it's drilled the chips should be small enough to blow through if they don't blow out. Craig
Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I taped off the exhaust pipe and started the engine. With all that back pressure it blows the metal filing right out of the hole being drilled. Wear safety glasses and gloves, filing comes out fast and hot.

MikeyB
Old 02-26-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use a good sharp drill bit, and use only a slight amount of pressure. Then you get mostly a coarse powder, instead of real shavings. That's just what cast iron does.

Pick a spot to drill where the drill bit is angled upwards. Then the powder will fall out instead of in.

Grease the tap to catch any debris.

Use a copper bbased high temp anti-seize lube on the fittings. You might want to remove them some day.

The whole job should take you about 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: egt probe????