3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr. owners - Please read

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well we still would like to know the correction factor, so that we can figure out what the actual rwhp was.

As to the question about lift pumps, and how it could run with more hp.. Its just the nature of these trucks. 2 Exact same truck, same year, same miles, will put up different hp readings with the same software. They are all different animals.

I still think that your truck is running excellent. I just think that sw3 lost a little power over 2 because your rail pressure could have dropper, or something else.

But to conclude that the 2 programs are the same because on your truck they make the same power is not scientific.

One of my trucks made 521 hp with Smarty/TNT level 3 with rp 0 and tm at level 2. It lost power when I went to level 5 with the same settings. Lost about 6hp if I remember right. But Level 5 is a higher power level. My truck ran out of air and wouldn't make anymore power.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Banned

Chad - The best scientific tool we have in this situation is the dyno sheets (post #28). Look at the March and May Smarty Jr. runs. It is not the end power result that is telling, it is the building of power that is telling.

If these two programs were indeed different like they should be, you would see it in the lines as the power is built at the front of the curve (from 1700-2200 rpm). In other words, there should be a significant gap (approx 34%) between the prog #2 lines and the prog #3 lines. The trajectory of all the lines in the front of the curve are as identical as it gets. Your theory of "running out of fuel" would only be seen at the top of the dyno run when the trucks power is maxed out. So if your theory were true, the dyno lines for prog #2 & #3 would start out about 34% apart and come together at the trucks maximum power level. This is not the case. The lines follow the same path all the way up to max power.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by pwr2tow
I have loaded and unloaded all programs many, many times. Like I said, some times it runs others it don't. If it wasn't a program glitch then it should do exactly the same thing every time.
Mine does it too, who cares! Programs are linear.....it's procedure language.....do a then b then c.....it's pretty straight forward....yes software can get more complex than the above, but not for a smarty load program...probably not that much code.....i'm guessing it's something else....

Sometimes my AD150 primes at startup (i can hear it), sometimes it doesnt.....no smarty loading occuring at that time.....
Old 07-27-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been curious what my Jr puts to the ground, but have been unable to make the Idaho Dyno days to date...

Rob, as we have discussed in email I would meet you and run a dyno.

I agree something is goofy, if they were different and the hardware was limiting they would be different to the limiting point, not the same from idle up.

Bob, did you ever get the dyno results?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:43 PM
D45

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
software 3 netted 112 hp and 70 was closer to 84

Was this on a stock truck?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, except aftermarket turbo and upgraded clutch

no ddp numbers yet, will move on
Old 07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
D45

All I know is that the #1 30 HP setting, I could not tell much of a difference, at all.

The #2 "70 HP" setting was nice, but the #3 100 HP setting is very, very different that the other 2 settings.

I think Bob told me the TQ gainss are doubled the HP rathings.........so the #3 would net 200+ TQ.

So, the #3 Performance setting is yielding 112 HP and 200+ TQ.....which is very, very nice anc controllable, especially for a daily driver.

Good bang for the buck.

Rob, did you ever get this problem sorted out? Did you ever re-dyno with the JR or get it exchanged?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:50 PM

When I first went to SW#1 the gain/difference was not noticeable... drive it for a week and go back to stock, the difference is HUGE!!!

Personally all I use is SW#1, I was trying SW#2 this tank for mileage but got some weird popping at idle so I went back to SW#1. I only want cooler EGTs, I don't need any more power.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:56 PM
D45

Even at the #3 setting, I am not seeing any EGTs that are really hotter than stock.....
Old 07-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Banned

John (ah64id) - Yes. Let's get together and see how your box dyno's. Then, let's load my box on your truck and compare. This will be valuable info since your truck and mine are virtually the same. I think everyone will be surprised by the results.

Bob Wagner - Since you were willing to dyno a different box with Dynomite Diesel, are you willing to help out with the cost of these dyno runs that we will do at Meridian Motor Sports?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:48 PM

Seat of the pants tells me SW#2 and SW#3 are very different in my truck. I'd offer to dyno the difference, but the clutch won't hold SW#3 in fifth once you get to 2100rpm...so there you go.

Back on SW#1 until I can fund a new clutch.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:30 AM

interesting issue.
I see what his concern is about the unit....
why not unload it and get some base numbers, then on each power level...
what does the jr. advertise to do on each level?
I am a bull dog owner....so I guess I don't know much about the jr.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by robtackett
Bob Wagner - Since you were willing to dyno a different box with Dynomite Diesel, are you willing to help out with the cost of these dyno runs that we will do at Meridian Motor Sports?
Two very similar trucks, two Jr's, one dyno... seems like a goot deal.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robtackett
John (ah64id) - Yes. Let's get together and see how your box dyno's. Then, let's load my box on your truck and compare. This will be valuable info since your truck and mine are virtually the same. I think everyone will be surprised by the results.

Yes sir I am. Thank you
Old 07-28-2008, 11:07 AM

Bob and Rob, you have PM's.

Quick Reply: Smarty Jr. owners - Please read