3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr. owners - Please read

Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pwr2tow,

I am not sure you can call the lift pump running...or not running a glitch? Do you know what the Smarty is doing when that happens?

Rob,

No lift pump mods? What was the correction factor? I have seen as high as 7% in Boise...that would also explain a bunch.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Banned

My truck is stock except for the air, exhaust, and Smarty Jr. No lift pump mods. No mods to the fuel system at all. Stock injectors. I bought the truck new. My fuel pressure is about 9.5 at idle and drops to about 7.0 WOT. I can't say what the injection pump is doing since I have no rail gauge but I know it's not starving for fuel.

I know Don at Meridian Motor Sports does run a correction factor on his Dynojet. I don't know what it is. I'll say it again, my problem is not with the numbers. My problem is with the runs virtually being the same between Smarty Jr. #2 and #3. And I knew someone would question if I had actually changed the programs between runs. That is why I got Don involved in the May runs. So it would be more than just my eyes looking at the programmer. Don agrees, these two programs are the same on my Jr. That is really the issue here.

FYI: In case anyone was curious. Program #1 (economy) downloads just fine.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:44 AM

if you haven't had a meltdown yet i wouldn't care. i pull with my smarty sr on 9, mildrp, timing2 and tq 4 and it doesn't get all that hot for the power. You're problem is most everyone's dreams come true
Old 06-24-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
pwr2tow,

I am not sure you can call the lift pump running...or not running a glitch? Do you know what the Smarty is doing when that happens?
I have loaded and unloaded all programs many, many times. Like I said, some times it runs others it don't. If it wasn't a program glitch then it should do exactly the same thing every time.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by rip 112
No offense, but some things are better left unsaid buddy.

As far as the towing is concerned, it is up to the owner to decide whether he/ she is comfortable with the Smarty Jrs settings. Its advertisement as a towing box is when its used sensitively, as in not using the highest level to tow with, not beating the crap out of the truck while towing just to prove you can get the egts higher and cause some damage. Thats why these programmers come with liability policies.
Some people like all the information they can get before making choices, obviously you don't.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 PM

Not to bad mouth anything, but is the dyno able to handle the hp/tq with the smarty loaded. You may want to try another dyno just in case, it would be bad to have all this fuss due to false readings because your at the limit of the dyno and not know it.

Something else is it may not be the Smarty, it may be the truck itself. There has been others that their trucks did not respond well to changes. Software levels may be different but your truck may not be able to benefit from the higher level.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
Ron I offered to exchange the smarty junior from day one. And yes my DTT transmission is still at zero problems after 7 years of service.

Thanks for the memories

Life goes on
Hey Bob,
Are you willing to exchange my Jr with the glitch for a new one with the beta 4 program?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
send it and it will be updated
Old 06-24-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
send it and it will be updated
Sent an e-mail to wagner@msn.com
Old 06-24-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by robtackett
My truck is stock except for the air, exhaust, and Smarty Jr. No lift pump mods. No mods to the fuel system at all. Stock injectors. I bought the truck new. My fuel pressure is about 9.5 at idle and drops to about 7.0 WOT. I can't say what the injection pump is doing since I have no rail gauge but I know it's not starving for fuel.

I know Don at Meridian Motor Sports does run a correction factor on his Dynojet. I don't know what it is. I'll say it again, my problem is not with the numbers. My problem is with the runs virtually being the same between Smarty Jr. #2 and #3. And I knew someone would question if I had actually changed the programs between runs. That is why I got Don involved in the May runs. So it would be more than just my eyes looking at the programmer. Don agrees, these two programs are the same on my Jr. That is really the issue here.

FYI: In case anyone was curious. Program #1 (economy) downloads just fine.

I have to disagree that both programs are the same. I believe that you just don't have enough mods to get the extra bit from the performance tune (#3). If you had a lift pump possibly the #3 program would be more powerful.

Have you loaded any of the betas for the JR Designed to lessen the smoke, and then compared to see if you can tell a difference in the level 2 and 3?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by pwr2tow
Hey Bob,
Are you willing to exchange my Jr with the glitch for a new one with the beta 4 program?
Honestly, how do you know its a glitch? When reprogramming the ecm, its changing alot of things. The lift pump is actually run off the ecm not just keyed power. If you listen it will come back on and shut off.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by White97GTVert
I have to disagree that both programs are the same. I believe that you just don't have enough mods to get the extra bit from the performance tune (#3). If you had a lift pump possibly the #3 program would be more powerful.

Have you loaded any of the betas for the JR Designed to lessen the smoke, and then compared to see if you can tell a difference in the level 2 and 3?
I agree. Seems to me that hes running out of fuel to run SW3. I know on the sr. Even on 100 horse i can pull the fuel pressure down pretty good. With my raptor it easily comes back up, but it seems likely that you're experiencing this. Especially with the 314 to the wheels with just a free flowing exhaust and intake.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pwr2tow
Some people like all the information they can get before making choices, obviously you don't.
I like all the essential info, you giving such little info on Bob and then not explaining yourself to me seems like bashing without credible evidence. In my year and a half on here, I have not seen any use for the small info some ppl mention because its leaning towards bashing. It creates conflict in a perfectly respectful environment. That's why i said some things are better left unsaid.

Now, back to the subject at hand please.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by White97GTVert

This is the exact same thing thats occuring with the TNT on some ppls trucks, not enough supporting mods. Its been said that the 100hp seting is the limit for a 6spd, most ppl think of the tranny but in some cases its not always that. Mileage, stress, and driver abuse can all play into factors why you flat-line at a certain power level.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

Ok. Probably the last post for me since I've said about all I can say on this subject. Someone smarter than me will eventually figure this out down the road. Maybe I will be proven right, maybe wrong. Doesn't really matter because I am apparently one of the only guys running Jr. that actually know what the numbers are to the wheels. Until others running Jr. dyno and compare, we won't really know if this problem exists on more trucks than just mine.

"Program is not the same." "If you had a lift pump sw3 would be more powerful." "Running out of fuel on sw3." "Not enough supporting mods."

I have to admit, I just don't understand these comments. Smarty Jr. was designed for stock trucks. My setup is much better than stock yet somehow not good enough to run Jr. to its full potential. My fuel pressure doesn't go below 7.0 WOT but yet I somehow need a better lift pump. I am a bit thick headed but this just doesn't make sense to me.

If mods are a limiting factor on my truck, what would it be putting out with mods to support more power? You guys are questioning how my numbers could be so high, then turn around and tell me they could be higher if my truck had better supporting mods. The bottom line is my truck is putting out what you would expect the top end to be running Smarty Jr. And therefore, the only conclusion can be that prog. #2 and prog. #3 are the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smarty Jr. owners - Please read