3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smarty Jr. owners - Please read

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Robert, It may be an issue with your truck. boost leak? wastegate opening or something else. take your smarty and lets try another truck.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rob, take it from WhiteGT. Are you certain you're not losing fuel pressure? If so #3 which is more fuel and does fuel more aggressively will make less power. Its hard for me to believe that your truck with just intake and muffler delete and smarty jr. made 430 horsepower. Corrected or uncorrected?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

Hard to believe it would be a boost leak or something else when my truck is putting out the very high end of what you would expect from Smarty Jr. Just about anything wrong with my truck would cause the power be low, not high. As I said in my email to you. I've spent over $1000 on a SB Con OFE clutch and dyno runs to eliminate my truck as the problem. If you know someone in the Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell area that has a truck very close to mine, I would love to use my Smarty Jr. and run their truck on the dyno. Just let me know when.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:47 PM

I am not sure the grip...that is cheap good hp if you really dynoed that.

I don't need a bet...I am sorry about the troll comment. I will be on the dyno sometime in the next couple weeks and would love to have you there.

Christian 505-379-2750

Maybe you got lucky and your truck had dealer installed injectors or some fluke like that.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by robtackett
Hard to believe it would be a boost leak or something else when my truck is putting out the very high end of what you would expect from Smarty Jr. Just about anything wrong with my truck would cause the power be low, not high. As I said in my email to you. I've spent over $1000 on a SB Con OFE clutch and dyno runs to eliminate my truck as the problem. If you know someone in the Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell area that has a truck very close to mine, I would love to use my Smarty Jr. and run their truck on the dyno. Just let me know when.
My comment regarding the power being in the neighborhood of 350 was with the 70hp setting.. Your truck is a magic one (and I'm not being smart!) You should be thankful that your truck put down that kind of power on level 2. Most wouldn't. Not even close.

I'll PM You my email.. I wanna see the slips for sure. However, most people around here are VERY VERY helpful and if you post them for everybody to see some of the brilliant minds around here may see the problem before we start flying people in to take a look at it.

Feed people the right info and they can help to diagnose a problem, bug, or whatever.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
I am not sure the grip...that is cheap good hp if you really dynoed that.

I don't need a bet...I am sorry about the troll comment. I will be on the dyno sometime in the next couple weeks and would love to have you there.

Christian 505-379-2750

Maybe you got lucky and your truck had dealer installed injectors or some fluke like that.
Ding Ding! You beat me to it CQ... I was thinking the same thing. Wonder if somebody tossed a set of smaller injectors in there.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 PM

Why aren't you guys seeing what Rob is posting. He's saying level 2 is the same as level 3. Both 2 and 3 are programmed performance.

I've also encountered glitches with my smarty Jr. one being sometimes when programming any level the lift pump runs and some times it does not. I'am not talking about the 0%-52% continuous run and then pulsates from 53%-100%. It does not run at all during programming sometimes.

I've also read about gear selector in reverse honking working on some trucks and then after programming it does not work and other times the other way around.

As for Bob, well lets just say I remember him from another board from the early 2000's about a specific transmission parts producer. I'am not going to bash him on here but I know his demeanor personally.

Just think if Bob would have traded back Robs Smarty Jr. this little issue wouldn't be known either.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Smarty Jr. but it's not perfect and I personally don't think it should be advertised as a towing programmer for a stock truck. In My opinioin the Torque management in the Smarty Jr. is too harsh for towing with a stock auto transmission.

Putting on retired flame suit.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ron I offered to exchange the smarty junior from day one. And yes my DTT transmission is still at zero problems after 7 years of service.

Thanks for the memories

Life goes on
Old 06-23-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pwr2tow
As for Bob, well lets just say I remember him from another board from the early 2000's about a specific transmission parts producer. I'am not going to bash him on here but I know his demeanor personally.

Just think if Bob would have traded back Robs Smarty Jr. this little issue wouldn't be known either.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Smarty Jr. but it's not perfect and I personally don't think it should be advertised as a towing programmer for a stock truck. In My opinioin the Torque management in the Smarty Jr. is too harsh for towing with a stock auto transmission.

Putting on retired flame suit.
No offense, but some things are better left unsaid buddy.

As far as the towing is concerned, it is up to the owner to decide whether he/ she is comfortable with the Smarty Jrs settings. Its advertisement as a towing box is when its used sensitively, as in not using the highest level to tow with, not beating the crap out of the truck while towing just to prove you can get the egts higher and cause some damage. Thats why these programmers come with liability policies.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Banned

Hey guys, I really do appreciate any help you have to offer. Try to keep in mind that my thread was really a call out to other Jr. owners for dyno data. As of now I have seen none. If there is anyone out there who has real dyno results comparing prg. #2 and prg. #3, please post it.

I've read a lot of opinions. Some questioning how high my dyno numbers are. Some questioning whether there is something wrong with my truck like a boost leak etc. Most are on the skeptical side. I'll try to simplify this some by posting all the numbers I have together (all off the same dynojet at Meridian Motor Sports):

08/27/06 314.6 hp - 582.1 tq. This was my best run. It was stock except for AFE Stage II cold air w/pro guard 7 and straight pipe from cat back.

Now with Smarty Jr. installed:

03/23/08 395.9 hp - 733.2 tq (prg. 3, run 1)
399.0 hp - 739.7 tq (prg. 3, run 2)
394.9 hp - 742.2 tq (prg. 2, run 1)
394.6 hp - 747.1 tq (prg. 2, run 2) Mods same as above except aero turbine high flow muffler, and 33" tires.

05/18/08 433.0 hp - 801.4 tq (prg. 3, run 1)
431.1 hp - 804.3 tq (prg. 3, run 2)
437.3 hp - 802.9 tq (prg. 2, run 1)
437.1 hp - 805.5 tq (prg. 2, run 2) Mods same as above except SB Con OFE clutch, summer fuel, and took the pre filter off the pro guard 7 as it had collected a lot of dust.

Now everyone wants to focus only on how high the numbers are. Instead, focus on how close the numbers are for prg. #2 and #3. They are virtually identical. We can talk all day about this or that having a correction. The truth is it really doesn't matter when it comes to my issue.

If you're still hung up on the numbers "just not being right", think about this. Bob Wagner chimed in and said that prg. #3 (performance) netted about 112 hp according to their testing. If you take 112 hp and add it to my stock run of 314.6, you get 426.6. Look how close that is to my hp numbers from May. It is within 4.5 hp of the closest number. In my book, that is the same as being right on. So I wonder why there are guys out there saying no way could my truck have dyno'd at that hp.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 AM

Okay... Rob was nice enough to send me his Dyno sheets and I'll post them so everybody can see where the confusion was coming from. The shop that did his dyno work hand wrote in the flywheel horsepower on the top of one of the sheets. The sheets do show the true rear wheel horsepower as measured. Here they are!

Unless I am reading it wrong.. Experts.. Weigh in!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:52 AM

After looking at the charts further.. I don't see any notations as to correction factor. I do notice that the first picture is a baseline run (no electronics) and his truck dynoed pretty high @ 314.6 hp (rwhp).. I am thinking there is something going on with this truck. Thats pretty good for a stock truck with just a filter and a free flow exhaust. That is the only sheet that was notated as "flywheel horsepower".
Old 06-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Banned

Thanks Chad for posting my dyno sheets. Someday I will become more computer literate. As for the flywheel numbers at the top of my stock run, I wrote those in trying to figure out how much power a guy loses through the drive train. Disregard those numbers as they do not mean anything. And I don't want to give Meridian Motor Sports a bad rap for something they didn't do. The hand writing on all 3 sheets is mine.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:11 AM

Ok 10-4.. Not the shops handwriting. Can you call them and ask them if they had a correction factor on those runs at all? It would be interesting to see what it was.

If there was no correction factor, you have an extremely good running truck. I'm still wondering if there is a little something done to it (injectors)

Quick Reply: Smarty Jr. owners - Please read