3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr. owners - Please read

Old 06-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Jr. owners - Please read

I am in need of some info from all of you out there who are running Smarty Jr. I need actual dyno results from program #2 (70hp tow) and program #3 (100hp performance). Please list your hp and tq. numbers from each of the two programs. If your results are from different days with different mods, please specify. What I'm after is an "apples to apples" comparison of these two programs.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Banned

Smarty Jr. Problem

I guess I should add: I'm not requesting this information out of curiosity. On my Jr., I have discovered programs #2 (tow) and #3 (performance) are actually the same program. According to the dyno (8 runs over the last 3 months) there is virtually no difference between the two.

If this problem exists on more units than just mine, there could be many of you out there that are unknowingly putting your truck in danger (under load). This is especially true since both programs are sending over 800 ft/lbs. of torque to my rear wheels.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:51 AM

Post your sig so people can understand what your dealing with. What year is your truck? Injectors? Lift pump? Turbo?

What do you have done.

I can assure you... THEY ARE NOT THE SAME PROGRAM. For the level 2 to send 800lb/ft to your rear wheels you must have something else done to your rig.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:52 AM

How close to Bullydog are you over there in Idaho by the way?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned

If you click on my username you will see what my truck is. I'm not new to diesels, just new to this forum/computer communication thing (this was my first post). So I do not know how to get my truck info down on the bottom like the rest of you guys. These are my truck mods pertaining to the power to the ground: 05 Dodge Ram SLT Quad Cab 4 x 4, nv5600, 11.5" ring gear/rear, AFE stage II cold air w/pro guard 7, Southbend Con OFE, 33" tires, and Smarty Jr.

"How close to Bullydog are you?" Is that really a question? Or is that more of a, if you have a problem with Smarty Jr. don't hesitate to go to Bullydog. I think it is the later.

Let me be clear here. Smarty Jr. is a great product and I wouldn't run any other on my truck. My post is in no way downing Smarty Jr. from a performance perspective. I am simply letting the diesel public know about a problem I have with my Jr. I do believe, however, there could be others out there with the same problem. It's hard to tell at this point because I can't find any reliable dyno numbers from others comparing the two programs. I can assure you of one thing. The two programs are exactly the same on my truck. You assure me they are not. I'm waiting for your dyno results to back you up. That was the point of my thread...to get real dyno results back to see how wide spread the problem is. Do you have dyno comparisons between the two programs to offer? Here are the last four runs I made on 05/18/08 at Meridian Motor Sports - Meridian, Idaho:

433.0 hp - 801.4 tq (Smarty Jr. prg. 3 - run 1)
431.1 hp - 804.3 tq (Smarty Jr. prg. 3 - run 2)

437.3 hp - 802.9 tq (Smarty Jr. prg. 2 - run 1)
437.1 hp - 805.5 tq (Smarty Jr. prg. 2 - run 2)

These runs were made with the owner of Meridian Motor Sports (Don Bentley) doing the dyno work and actually telling me the programs are the same. This was the second time with the same results (1st was in March). He has done thousands of runs on his dynojet and I trust these numbers.

I have been working on this since March of this year. I've contacted Bob Wagner multiple times (phone and email). The two times I talked to him by phone, he said he would call me back and never did. I have been contacting other DTR members privately to get info. but I keep running into a wall when it comes to dyno comparisons of these two programs. No one seems to have them and that is the point of my thread. To reach out to a bigger audience for information. I realize how popular Smarty products are. That is the reason I bought mine in the first place. I know there is a good chance, with the loyal following Smarty has, that I will probably get flamed for putting this out there. I tried to gather data in a non public way but that hasn't worked.

Let's look at it this way. If it turns out there are X number of programmers out there that have the same problem mine has, would you want to know about it? Or would you want to tow heavy in what you think is the tow program when in reality it is the 100 hp performance program?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:31 AM

Very interesting findings, I am very interested in the results. I am one of the few who have had the TC slip on setting # 2 after lock-up. Until I get the $ for a new trans, I am running #1 trying to get as much as possible from the ole girl
Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Banned

It is you guys with autos that I really worry about.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:32 AM

My Bullydog question was more of a troll flushing thing.. Sometimes people get on here and fire up a username just to talk some smack. Somewhat recently it was a person who worked for Bullydog in Idaho.

Your truck made amazing numbers with the smarty on 2.

Do you have the dyno sheets to post? I want to see the correction factor that may be on the runs.

Something is not quite right with the numbers. Stock your truck should put down around 280-285. With smarty on there should closer to 350.

For you to be over 400hp on level 2 is quite amazing to me. Your run on level 3 probably would have been higher if not for a stock lift pump and turbo and pressure box.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am going to ask dynomite diesel to dyno test a junior this week and have them post the dyno sheets, ok?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 11:48 AM

That would be great. As for an in the seat of my pants difference I can seemingly feel a difference in my Smarty Jr. #2 and #3. I don't know about dyno numbers. I would love to see a couple different trucks and different actual smarty jr boxes to compare. Thanks Bob Wagner
Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM

software 3 netted 112 hp and 70 was closer to 84

Marco has checked the software specific to the truck and all looks perfect.

and redyno test should clear the issue
Old 06-23-2008, 12:04 PM

Why dont you dyno test HIS smarty jr. Just ask him if you can?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:16 PM

the software is identical in every smarty. It would not bother me . send it
Old 06-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

437hp with a jr and nothing else? Thats pretty high, you might ask if he corrected that number.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Banned

White97GTVert: Yes I have the dyno sheets. Send me a private email with your address and I will send them to you. Anyone else wants them...do the same and I will send them to you as well. As far as your comment about stock being 280-285 and Smarty Jr. being closer to 350. I guess I don't really follow you on that. If stock is 280-285 and you add 100 hp, wouldn't it then be 380-385? My truck stock (except for AFE Stage II w/pro guard 7 and straight pipe from cat back) dyno'd at 314.6 hp and 582.1 tq. (same place, same dyno on 08/27/06).

Bob Wagner: I am happy to hear that you will dyno one of your Jr.'s with Dynomite Diesel. Unfortunately, that will tell me nothing about my Jr. and nothing about any other members Jr. either. You say it doesn't matter, that they are all the same. If all the Jr.'s were the same we would not be having this conversation. It will not "clear the issue" to dyno your Jr. just like it solves nothing to brush a paying customer off for three months. It is amazing to me after telling me twice on the phone that you would call me back and after my email detailing the problem, you have never once gotten back with me (in 3 months!!!) Now that I have taken this to the diesel public, you all of the sudden care and have time to deal with the issue. That just seems so strange to me considering the excellent reputation that you've created with your product.

Cquestad: "Must be a troll." Well let's see if you will put your money where your mouth is. I have an offer for you. You and I could get together, take my truck back to Meridian Motor Sports and re dyno it. If prog. #2 and #3 do turn out to be the same (I'm right), you pay for the dyno. If they are as advertised (I'm wrong), I pay for the dyno. You live in Boise and I live 15 min. away in Nampa so this should be easy to put together right? In fact I offer you, Bob Wagner, the same deal. I will fly you from Washington to Idaho and if I'm proven right you pay for everything. If I'm wrong, I will pay for everything. If you really believe there is nothing wrong with the programming, that is a deal you can't pass up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smarty Jr. owners - Please read