3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

not a fan of massachusetts (2" lift spring?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not a fan of massachusetts (2" lift spring?)

yeah so next week I was going to pick up a 6" top gun customz lift and now thats not going to happen. i ran in to a friend of mine i havent talked to in a couple months that has a extended cab ford dually with a that HAD a 4" lift and 35's and went down to are buddy that passes us for inspection for lifts and tinted windows and he told him that he can no longer inspect trucks over a 10,000gvw (as of october 2008) and we now have to go to basically a comercial truck or big truck inspection station and they dont let anything slide. he searched for a month through friends with big trucks, tri axle and tractors, and they said there is one guy and the only thing he lets slide is window tint. so mass state law ses that legally we are only allowed 2" over stock. what a horrible day. so i was woundering about 2" coil springs just because i dont like the look of the spacer. i was wounderng if any 1 has used them and how was the ride and is it actually a 2" lift or do they sag. also will they hold the weight of a plow ruffly 1000lbs. i know that sky jacker has a 2-2.5 lift with coil springs bump stops and control arms. any 1 know?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by 06dodgedrw
yeah so next week I was going to pick up a 6" top gun customz lift and now thats not going to happen. i ran in to a friend of mine i havent talked to in a couple months that has a extended cab ford dually with a that HAD a 4" lift and 35's and went down to are buddy that passes us for inspection for lifts and tinted windows and he told him that he can no longer inspect trucks over a 10,000gvw (as of october 2008) and we now have to go to basically a comercial truck or big truck inspection station and they dont let anything slide. he searched for a month through friends with big trucks, tri axle and tractors, and they said there is one guy and the only thing he lets slide is window tint. so mass state law ses that legally we are only allowed 2" over stock. what a horrible day. so i was woundering about 2" coil springs just because i dont like the look of the spacer. i was wounderng if any 1 has used them and how was the ride and is it actually a 2" lift or do they sag. also will they hold the weight of a plow ruffly 1000lbs. i know that sky jacker has a 2-2.5 lift with coil springs bump stops and control arms. any 1 know?

lorenzindustries.com .... 2" lift (6% is normal, 23% for plow/heavy bumber/winch)....
Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to Massachusetts. I can't wait to leave it.

There are two laws concerning lifts for vehicles. One is in Massachusetts General Law, the other in the Code of Massachusetts Regulations. It might seem they are conflicting, but each has overlapping authority.

MGL chapter 90, section 7(p) basically reads that any vehicle under and including 10k pounds shall not be lifted by body or suspension lift more than 2 inches.

But...

540 CMR, section 6 (of which its authority comes from MGL ch.90 §31) limits your combined lift to include tire height, body lift and suspension lift through a formula, which still won't be near what you want. It's a few pages long in total, with other non-lift stuff written in. However, it still applies to GVWRs of under 10k pounds. 540 CMR, section 4.04 requires the inspection stations to adhere to that section where vehicle height is concerned. For 10,001 pounds and over, the inspections are the equivalent to the annual Federal Motor Carrier Safety Admin, Title 49, CFR section 393 per 540 CMR, section 4.02... commercial or not.

If you are registered here, you're stuck with it. If you can find someone to do you a favor, good luck.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 AM

when there talking 6% and 23% thats that mean 6% stiffer than stock. or what does that mean
Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Why is that state so against lifts? I can see if your running a 10" lift and your driving a dozer around that small state but a 4" lift isn't acceptable?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 AM

when there talking 6% and 23% thats that mean 6% stiffer than stock. or what does that mean
yes thats what it means also it will ride alot rougher with the 23% with out the plow on , but i don't think you would notice a differance with the 6%
Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 PM

yeah thats what i was thinking. yes the 23% coils will handle the plow nice but 9-10 months out of the year the plow isnt on the truck. i was doing some reading on these kits and i know every 1 has there opinion on the companys and cant stand when people bash each 1. i was looking at the lorenz 2.25 kit. they have hd and plush ride coils and what are the better coils for my truck alot of on road driving and with a kit like that i would prolly go off road alot more. my thoughts are to run 1 of tho's systems and put a set of air bags in the front end for when the plow goes on so i have the best of both words.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:26 PM

i cant find the info on the carli starter system. i know that the lorenz 5100 and leveling kit is a 2 inch lift and is all the carli stuff 3" or do they down size to 2" like the lerenz did with the starter kit?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:28 PM

Correct. I have the 6% as i dont plow or have an aftermarket bumper/winch....big difference in truck: no nose diving / bottoming and much less lean on turning. Had the bilsten's before and after, so they werent the difference....
Old 01-03-2009, 06:52 PM

There are more than enough trucks in this state(Mass) that are well over the 2" lift rule and that are never rejected for inspection stickers or pulled over.My old apprentice has a 4" lift with 35-37" tires and he hasnt had any issues,even after being pulled over for pulling a u turn through the median in front of a statie.Find another inspection station.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:49 PM

what kind of truck is he running because i put in a tgc 8" with 2" coil spacers so a 10" lift and the guy i used to be able to go to inspected it no questions and in spected me with tinted windows and strait piped no problems but as of october of 2008 he can no longer inspect any with a gvwr greater than 10,000lbs along with the 3 others we can use. now we have to go to a different inspection stations that are licenced for vehicals greater than 10,000lbs and even from my boss calling around and stopping in he has been to 10 different stations with his 2 550's and dodge 3500 and has been denied just because of tinted windows he has even offered 50 bucks extra a truck to pass it and they told him no they wont risk doing it any more because there cracking down. so dont think we went to just 1 and gave up. the best we can find is a gmc dealer and he said he will only pass them if the windows are 35% rather than 20% and it doesnt help that my truck has 15% on it now. if you have heard of a shop that will do it let me know. keep in mind this all went into affect in october so most of us it has not effected yet mines not up until march so until then i will be on the hunt.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:27 PM

how much softer are carli's springs compared to stock? ive heard they are a bit softer and i have heard that its a hole new world in ride and softness compared to stock. i not looking for a caddy but would like some thing that rides softer on the road and better for off road.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 PM

DRW what part of mass are you from? I've heard of a place called TD & I out of Wareham, MA. They are a mobile inspection station, they just did all my friend's trucks and trailers and seemed pretty reasonable, didn't pick anything apart. It's worth a phone call and they are reasonable if you can get a half dozen trucks together to do it at once.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:37 AM

Yea mass is pretty dumb about lift laws on PAPER. Before I left for the army in 06 I was rollin around in my 87 2500 Silverado with 9.5" of lift and 40" Boggers. Never had any trouble with the popo state or otherwise. I found an inspection station out in the boonies in western mass and the guy didn't even bat and eye at the truck. Its all in where you go and who you know.

HotRod

Last edited by hotrod929; 01-07-2009 at 05:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-08-2009, 10:06 AM

im right out side of lowell in tyngsboro