3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

lift pump?

Old 05-19-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lift pump?

been having trouble lately-truck bucking and surging esp. with edge on higher levels. pretty violent. goes away with edge on 0. sounds to me like lift pump taking a crap.
this would be a good swap anyway so give opinios on a replacement. BD makes 2 different pumps. i think it would be best to replace my stock drop in or use an eliminator kit. any feedback on other brands? other diagnosis to my problem?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:54 PM

I've heard that Air dog is pretty good and decently priced. That's probably what I'll go with whenever I do the swap.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:15 PM

does the air dog mount remote with just a pick up in the tank? how may hp will it handle for future upgrades?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:22 PM

Somebody else on here that has used one can probably tell you all the details, but you can find them on the dtr store.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:32 PM

thanks, the dtr store description description seems it is along the lines of what i need. (replace the pos that came with the truck)
if anyone knows the details please chime in --i need this asap.
how many hp can it support?
ease/time for install?
etc.?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:42 PM

Try a search on this forum. You'll probably find some good info.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Airdog 100 is rated for 500hp but is capable of about 550 maybe more. It mounts along the frame rail with some pretty hefty metal. The details have gotten much better in the instructions, and all fittings are provided. It is a simple job when you can drop your tank. i have one and love it for its tucked up filter housings. I have a 2wd and wanted to make sure clearance wouldn't be sacrificed. the Fass filters hang quite a bit lower. The parts are quality, and you get the Lifetime Warranty.

i am happy with this setup. the airdog 150 is capable of up to 650-700, and even more.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 PM

from the limited research i have done in the past hour at work i am leaning towards the air dog 150 for just a few bucks more. looks like it comes with a big line kit and everything needed for install. shouldnt be too bad except for dropping the tank. lifetime waranty sounds good as well. any input welcome. hint hint.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:42 PM

on hold with edge as i write this. no symptoms on edge 0-lower levels. on levels 3-5 when i run up to 100+ mph it seems to get starved for fuel truck starts bucking/shaking after sustained speed and then it remains that way. drop down below 75-80mph symptoms disappear. drop edge down to 1 or 0 for a two hour trip at highway speeds without a problem. also noticed truck takes a few more seconds of cranking to start up but runs without a problem. i will take problem on system by system...so a fuel delivery upgrade is necessary anyway for future bombs if it doesnt correct the problem.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:58 PM

I just put in an AD-100, details here:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=204909

Note you'll need to route your the AD return to the canister to avoid problems.

Here's a pic of mine, tucks up well above my transfer case skid plate:
Old 05-19-2008, 07:23 PM

thanks for all the help so far. pullu2- yes it is a new fuel filter with about 1,000 miles. engine just seems to miss/fall on its face/buck under heavy and/or sustained load. sending edge unit in just to make sure it is ok.

fischerguy-thanks for the links. is this a complete set up? i dont want so start the airdog 150 install and realize i have a lot of other stuff to do to make the job done right. or need all kinds of other mods to make it a bulletproof set up.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:48 PM

Have a look at all the lift pump threads in this section, there's lots and you'll learn tons.
The main problem with out trucks is the lift pump inside the tank. Most lift pump kits come with a draw straw the eliminates the stock canister altogether and dumps the excess fuel into the filler neck, problem is when you get low on fuel you're new draw straw will be sucking air, especially going down hills, especially if you've not got it's length "just right".

Mark (53 ******) did an excellent thread where he modified the stock canister with a new draw straw.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=184672

Some people were using the Liberty canister which is the same as ours but without the pump. There's a restriction on the supply line though which is okay for the AD100 but would restrict too much for the AD 150. The beauty of using the Liberty unit though is you don't need to make any more holes in the tank or modify the canister for a larger draw straw.
Well, this is what I was hoping for anyhow but if you read my other thread you know I'm still having problems when I get to ¼ tank and now need to plumb the AD return into the canister.

I think the simplest solution to anyone with fuel pressure issues would be to get a Raptor 100 or 150, it will supply the engine with the same fuel as an AD 100 or 150 but will only pump what the engine needs, there's no return line from the pump to worry about. But then if you want to add some filtration it will cost you more, you might as well get the AD, but then you'll have to deal with the problem of the draw straws.

Clear as mud eh?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:50 AM

thanks fischer. that is what i meant by additional mods needed top make this set up bulletproof. i dont feel like going through all this hassle to have to worry about a 1/4 tank of fuel! i have a few days before the unit arrives so i need to be edu-macated in what needs doing and get it done right the first time.
i have started searching these related posts. similar set ups are on big rigs, and despite what some say, i see the value in extra filtration, lubrication, removing air and the extra fuel pressure. especially with additional performance mods.