24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Replace lift pump along with injection pump?

Old 06-19-2004, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace lift pump along with injection pump?

All indications are that my VP44 has died. I am getting 1/2 gal/minute flow out of the lift pump, which is below the .7 gallon spec. Question #1: Should the lift pump be replaced along with the injection pump as a matter of course? Question #2: Could the lift pump, being below spec, have caused the inj pump to fail when doing heaving towing (15K gvw) across the Rockies? Question #3: On a scale of one to ten, how important would it be to install a fuel pressure gauge at this time when the other repairs are being done? Question #4: I've seen reference to a FASS fuel system, and would appreciate being steered in the right direction for more info. This truck has 235,000 kilometers on it (140K miles) and this is the first major problem with it. Thanks in advance! Come on up to the Yukon and go fishing!
Old 06-19-2004, 12:38 AM

I dont know from first hand experience but from what i havee read on here the main reason that the vp44's die is failed lift pumps. If I were in your situation i would definitly replace the lift pump so the new VP can atleast start off with a good pump behind it. I would also add a pusher pump at the fuel tank to give the lift pump a little help and most definitly a pressure gauge so that WHEN the lift pump fails again you might be able to save the VP. As for the FASS, i really dont know much about it but i know there is alot of info on this site about it as alot of people here are running it.

just my $.02

blueandsilver02
Old 06-21-2004, 12:45 PM

yukon here is a number that was on this sight that some one really spoke high of
try them might be able to help.let us know what happens with fix thanks
phone# 1-800-525-0164 detroit superior turbo and injection pump
Old 06-21-2004, 03:48 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
On a gauge from 1(least) to 10 (most) important a fuel pressure gauge or at least a warning light for low pressure would IMHO get a 12 on the stock dodges.
Since you write about towing heavy through the rockies I'd say an EGT would also at least get a 9.

AlpineRAM
Old 06-21-2004, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the input, guys! Much appreciated!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Replace lift pump along with injection pump?

Originally posted by Yukon Dodge
All indications are that my VP44 has died. I am getting 1/2 gal/minute flow out of the lift pump, which is below the .7 gallon spec. Question #1: Should the lift pump be replaced along with the injection pump as a matter of course? Question #2: Could the lift pump, being below spec, have caused the inj pump to fail when doing heaving towing (15K gvw) across the Rockies? Question #3: On a scale of one to ten, how important would it be to install a fuel pressure gauge at this time when the other repairs are being done? Question #4: I've seen reference to a FASS fuel system, and would appreciate being steered in the right direction for more info. This truck has 235,000 kilometers on it (140K miles) and this is the first major problem with it. Thanks in advance! Come on up to the Yukon and go fishing!
1-- Yes, your LP is bad.
2-- Yes, the LP may have caused the VP to die
3-- FP guage is a 10imho, only because LP reliability is spotty. If you had a mechanical setup or a fass-type system, I wouldn't feel a guage is necessary.
4-- For FASS info, keep looking. There are a lot of vendors that carry it and the Preporator.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:21 AM

Thankyou fellas...much appreciated!
Old 06-22-2004, 08:41 AM

hey guys just a lil ad on,ive read many times on this site that when a vp44 dies there is no warning they just die,well just a heads up that is not true,i just had one act up for months like the apps was bad,so changed the apps and it was worse,not even a week later the vp44 died,lucky i was close to home, definitely change the lift pump at least with a stock one or it seems the holley blue pumps are working pretty good on these trucks and they are as cheap as anew stock pump,definitely a fuel gauge is a good investment regardless if the pump is bad or not,id love to come there fishing good luck
Old 06-22-2004, 08:58 AM

Ok, so does the Holley Blue pump actually replace the existing lift pump, or does it go inline somewhere? If it goes inline between the stock lift pump and the tank, would I leave the marginal existing liftpump in place?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:48 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I've replaced my whole fuel system (step by step, now I've got a setup that works for me)
I put a 10mm fuel hose from the tank to a holley blue right in front of the tank in the frame rail, from there a 10mm rubber hose to the fuel filter (90deg weber to 10mm inner diameter fitting) and from there on the front part of a wildcat maxflow system.
In my holley blue the pressure regulator in the pump needed a little tweaking to supply the necessary 15 psi. I'm running the holley blue from a relais that is driven by the stock pump harness. (just to be on the safe side and to have a fuse in there too)
My fuel tank quick connect fitting was shot and pulled a little air under suction. I assume that this can be detrimental to pump life. (running on foaming diesel)

AlpineRAM
Old 06-22-2004, 07:23 PM

If you are going to run the stock fuelpump

Use the power supply for the existing pump to turn on a relay which will turn on your new pump.I think it is a poor idea to use a driver in the engine computer to directly power up the pump.Because a pump that moves unfiltered fuel is prone to power spikes when debris moves thru it,which could damadge the driver in the procesor.A relay could handle those small spikes better,It would give you a cleaner connection to the battery,which may improve pump life.Merv
Old 06-22-2004, 08:01 PM

you can do either way,it should be mounted in the back of the truck regardless,the blue pump is designed to push not to pull fuel, ive got a wiring diagram to put relays at the back for the pump if you need one,good luck,
Old 06-23-2004, 04:43 PM

Thanks to everyone for your replys...everyone seems to have a bit or piece that fits right into this puzzle! But I still don't know for sure what to do with the existing lift pump: even if it is functioning marginally, should I leave it alone and add a pusher pump between it and the tank? Or should I replace it AND add another pump for redundency? Sorry to be so dumb about this, but I want to be SURE I've got it right!
Old 06-23-2004, 07:40 PM

if the factory one is bad or not to par,change it with the pusher and you will have problem solved
Old 06-23-2004, 09:31 PM

OK, Pa Outlaw, will do! And thanks again for all your input!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace lift pump along with injection pump?