3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How much Power service to clean Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much Power service to clean Injectors

Was thinking of using about a half a gallon of PS to clean my injectors. Haven't used anything yet. Want to increase mpg's. Also, will it help any to run the truck hard empty? Thanks.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off do not dump in half a gallon of PS or any other injector cleaner into your tank.
Follow the directions on the bottle. If you really feel that the injectors are fouled then remove them and have them cleaned. cost around $200 at a Cummins shop if they remove them. or $100 if you remove them.

If you do not have the time or money for that. Remove the injectors, use the Valvoline injector cleaner that Cummins endores. (there are other products), and soak your injectors tips in this, once they have soaked for a few hours remove them and using a lint free cloth wipe the tips clean. Rinse them off and reinstall.

Be carefull, use a magnifying glass to check the tips to make sure that nothing is blocking the holes.
Reinstall the injectors.
Some of the problems we are expierancing with injector knock maybe related to valve setting and not bad injectors.

Running PS at a double dose as instructed will clean your injectors if they are not heavily fouled. You must after putting the PS/Injector cleaner in the tank run the truck hard and keep it hot for a bit. How long is a debate.
Keep the operating temps up and the Egt's up.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:03 AM

Easier than either idea is to get some Howes meaner cleaner and run it!

It's one of the few products that I've used that I will actually endorse!!

Howes Guarantees a 4.8% increase in mileage or your money back!!

I use it every tank full!

http://www.howeslube.com/products/index.php/category/10

Rick
Old 12-20-2006, 06:52 AM

My $.02

Use Power Service or any of the other quality inj cleaners and do so with CONSISTENCY. That is the key. Also put on a 2 or 3micron filter. The stock 10 micron won't cut it with all the junk in our fuel.

My dealer replaced 7 inj in my truck when it was brand new by 5k miles. I started using Power Service, as directed above, and switched to a 3 micron and now a 2 micron "absolute" filter and I have had zero inj problems in the past 30k miles. It works!!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:25 AM

7 injectors eh...
Old 12-20-2006, 03:58 PM

Heres a question. What is the differance between a 03 injector and a 06 injector?
It would seem to me that most of the injector failures are due to either ECM problems, and or just bad injectors.
Very few problems have been related to poor dirty fuel as many would have us believe.
Poor workmanship and bad programming bingo, we may have a winner here.

Take a fuel sample after your filter, send it in and get it tested for particulate. You would be surprised what is or isnt in there. Also have it tested for flash point, cetane and all that other stuff.

The poor fuel quality issues of North American fuel isnt that it is dirty and has lots of 5 micron and below particles in it. It is dirty cause it burns dirty it produces alot of soot. The cetane rating isnt where it is in European fuel.

The argument comes into hand about dirty fuel all the time.
North American Fuel has a lower cetane rating then other countries fuel. Why not to sure, lower grade crude and or the way we process it. I think Europe had been adding addtivies to boost their ratings.

How do we over come this? I really am not to sure, you can add additive all you want, but if your fuel is already high all you will do is decrease it's abilties. If the fuel is of poor qaulity then you will see a difference.

With our testing every tank of fuel you never really know what you are getting.

Next time you fuel up ask what cetane rating your fuel is, ask what type of filter they have, and ask where they get it from.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:17 PM

I run 8oz mmo and 13oz ps every tankful.Gets better mileage,runs quieter,adds lubricity and cleans too
rooster
Old 12-20-2006, 04:40 PM

I've been running 16oz pf PS and 4oz of MMO for over 48K. Never a hiccup. The best things for these truck is a long ride with a heavy load. The truck ran even better (for a while) after returning from a 5k trip towing 11K.
I use the above mixture in every tank since the second tank. I premix it in the smaller PS bottles for regular use and trips.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 PM

Talking Whatcha think I couldn't count????

Originally Posted by HorseHauler
7 injectors eh...
Over the course of two + weeks they tested and ended up replacing all my injectors. It was a Friday and they wanted to wait till Monday morning just for a sanity check to make double dang sure it was fixed,... you got it,... one of the replacement (new) injectors was bad. So 6 + 1 = 7