3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How much Power Service can I run?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much Power Service can I run?

I will be dynoing on winter fuel tomorrow, and am wondering if all you smart people can help me with how much power service to add to my fuel. The bottle says it raises cetaine 3 points in 100 gallons and 6 points in 50 gallons. Can I add the whole bottle to 30 gallons? I know at a point you can't raise the cetaine number any higher and that at a point it doesn't need to be any higher. Kind of like those people that run 92octane premium gas in a car that only requires 87octane. It doesn't actually add any performance. So is a whole bottle ok, or should it be less or more?
Thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt it would hurt anything to use the whole bottle in 25-30 gallon tank of diesel, but like you said at some point there is no real gain.

I have added about double the 6 cetane amount to tanks going to the track, don't have a clue if it helped or not.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:42 PM

what size bottle? i run16oz every time. i ve ran more and didnt notice a difference in MPG, dont know about hp.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:06 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also run 19 oz.'s, white bottle in the winter.

More probably won't hurt, but likely wont help either.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:49 PM

I've been running 16oz every tank since my second tank. I have almost 50K now.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:59 PM

I read an article a couple of year's ago that said at a certain point, increasing cetane actually has a negative affect as far as power is concerned. Maybe someone with a better understanding can chime in?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:10 PM

This might surprise some people, but I've always filled the filter housing with pure Power Service when I replaced the fuel filter on my old 2000 Cummins. It always started up promptly, no difference in start- up noise, and ran smoothly.

I sold it recently at 171K with never a problem with the VP44, injectors, or fuel system.

I don't believe putting in more than the recommended amount will do any harm or do any more good! Anything past 16 oz in a tank is probably just wasting money.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by danc46
This might surprise some people, but I've always filled the filter housing with pure Power Service when I replaced the fuel filter on my old 2000 Cummins. It always started up promptly, no difference in start- up noise, and ran smoothly.

I sold it recently at 171K with never a problem with the VP44, injectors, or fuel system.

I don't believe putting in more than the recommended amount will do any harm or do any more good! Anything past 16 oz in a tank is probably just wasting money.
That goes to show that using a good, brand name conditioner can't hurt. I've used Stanadyne, Howes, Howes Meaner Cleaner, Ippf, Polar Power, MMO, Power Service winter and summer mixes, and none hurt at all. Yet- the only one I've had Dodge service managers recommend is Howes, and they also sell it at Cummins. I really liked how Stanadyne quieted up the old GM6.5's, and kept the pump form going out. But- it's expensive stuff. Right now I'm using PS winter, and rotating with MMO. My son and brother use MMO exclusively, and I really think it gets rid of some of the clatter. My son's 03 runs as smooth as any truck I've heard. I have a friend whose a heavy duty diesel mechanic. He worked for a company that ran a lot of light duty, medium, and heavy duty diesels. He told the drivers to put in FPPF every fill. He swore by using a conditioner to save those pumps and injectors.