3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

High Ram intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do they increase the sound of the turbo as well. i've heard from a few that the whistle gets louder.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The air box mod will give you the best turbo sound. That and removing the silencer ring. But if you get a cold air intake you will notice more power and a whistling turbo. I still have my ring on and I can hear my turbo whistle without a problem even at a low boost
Old 11-01-2006, 11:13 AM

An AFE Stage 2 gets my twins singing the second you touch the skinny pedal!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:15 PM

Ok, I'll bite. What is with the animosity with regard to Gale Banks? I can understand that everyone has their preferences but man, it sounds like there is a good deal of hate going on in these posts.

C6
Old 11-01-2006, 03:33 PM
tcb

i like their stuff. most will say it is overpriced but some parts are higher some lower. just ordered a high ram intake, and even though i have a juice with attitude i am watching six gun with the pda on ebay. i truely think most complints are just hearsay, hey, gale banks was out there tuning diesels when others were still in highschool.
tim
Old 11-01-2006, 03:42 PM

That is an easy accomplishment for Gale when he dropped out of highschool!

LOL

Just joking.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:08 PM

most people on here dont like Banks because of the price, and what you get in the end. he is called a 'smokeless wonder' for a reason. most grandpa's pulling a big 5th wheel like his stuff because he seems to be the only one out there, so they buy all his stuff, and say it is the greatest, yada, yada, yada.

yes, I do like what he did at Bonneville with the Dakota and Ranger, but thats about it.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:41 PM
tcb

apples to apples banks prices are no worse than any other big name vendor even less than some in certain areas. and generally when his stuff hits the market the bugs are allready worked out. do i have many of his items, no. but i do get tired of hearing people dog him or any other vendor, when they probably have no direct experience with his products. i personally could really come down on BD products and no telling how many times i have had to use the wonderful edge warranty, but just because i had a bad experience does not mean the next guy will. oh and i will not be ashamed to raise my hood and show my new high ram intake and S&B intake.
tim
Old 11-01-2006, 05:23 PM

Banks may not cost as much as the competition but look at what you get for your money. That is the real deal...

I've been having some serious problems with my truck lately... I wonder if it is from the intake that has banks on it? hahaha just joking. Please no one take offense.

Lucas
Old 11-02-2006, 08:48 AM
KVD

Most people hate banks because he makes "safe power" not crazy burn truck down if you don't pay attention power like a TST for the same price as everyone else.

For most people that don't get on the forums or have a good diesel shop around (like my town) all they know is banks and edge because thats about all that is in magazine or on TV.

Now some people don't like diesel power mag but they are gettin better and showin people that are new to diesels other things than just banks and edge.

Like our local diesel man is die hard ford, Used to work ford and to him powerstrokes hang the moon. He says banks is the best but he has never messed with anything else. When I first got on this site back about 2 years ago (I was blow by then) I talked my buddy into gettin a TST to go with his EZ on his 99 CTD. He got the box and since we had never done this we took it over to Bubba (thats the diesel guys name). He had never seen a TST box and said, yeah go head and stack that (Edit) and blow your truck up, thats job sercuity for me. He then, said get a banks it is so much better.

Well, I told buddy who was kinda nervous, man if this thing is as (Edit) as they say they are this gonna be fun.

Needless to say he was very happy and now there are about 3 different dodges runnin that combo now.

Thats the cool thing about here, I can learn alot of things that most people don't know. I read on here, the dieselstop, and the diesel place so I learn about all the diesels and in turn usally me and buddies (2 have CTDs, 1 stroke, 1 duramax) have somethin no else has or has ever heard about, it's nice.

Now if the bank will come through today I can join on in the fun.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:23 PM

Thanks for your responses. I am glad my question didn't start an argument. I have no experience with anyone else but Banks. I just sold my 1991 7.3 CC DRW with a Banks sidewinder system on it (no factory turbos back then) and bought my new Dodge. Back then, Banks was the only game in town. I am really behind the curve on all of the new goodies.
I have agreed to buy a (6 month old) BD Triple dog from the mechanic at my dealership. He is going to try the Edge. I am not looking to race my truck but I do want better fuel economy and some adjustabilty. For the price I am paying for the used unit, I am willing to try it.
Is my logic/choice sound?
The other system I was looking at was the workhorse by US Diesel Chips. Do any of you have experience with it? The rep claimed that this system leaves injector pulse width/duration alone and only increases rail pressure. He said the rail pressure never goes above the stock spec but it ramps up real quick so there is more pressure thus better atomization in the lower and middle RPM ranges. They are claiming 4 MPG highway as a result with up to 80 HP and 180 lbs of torque. http://www.usdieselchips.com/

Do any other systems use this method? It makes sense to me.

Your opinions are appreciated.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:13 PM

I sold Banks kits to the older Rv'ers for the most part but not all.EVERTHING needed in ONE box,made good useable safe power.Techs LOVED the install,Customers loved the power.In that morning out that afternoon and customers could not get the pooh pooh grin off thir face after a test drive.Warranty on ever part that was installed etc.I LOOKED into doing it differant once.This turbo housing,this exhaust,these gauges etc.What a pain and NOT that less exspensive.Honestly most kits SOLD THEMSELVES.Customers saw the brochures and prices and would call back and say I need a appointment to get THAT installed.Did 3 to 5 a month.Great money and a good product.Never a customer issue or complaint in 3 or 4 years doing them.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:40 PM
tcb

cowboy, you have a new truck, i would stay away from downloaders for a while, as well as the pressure only box. triple dog is a good unit i have a power pup but no longer use it too many variables and too much to go wrong loading and unloading program. also may be traced on the ecm and void warranty. pressure only boxes do just and have potential to wrek havoc on fuel rails. there are plenty of combo boxes out there to be had. do not get in a hurry, see what others run and like or dislike and then make a decision. fineally if you are going to invest in a box invest in gaues also they add to peace of mind.
tim
Old 11-03-2006, 09:14 PM

i have a AFE stage 2 with a proguard 7 filler and my turbo whistled a little without the silencer ring and now with the intake it whistles at 5 psi and step on it and i whines nice and loud, i might even try it with the silencer ring back in to see how much it will quite it. next thing for me is exhaust