3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got Propane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Propane?

Is there many people running a propane injection system? Are the systems really that great? They claim better HP, cooler temps, and increased mpg. With the price of diesel and then include propane, i would think it would take a significant increase in mpg to overcome the associated costs.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im not to big on the idea, do a search for it and youll find more arguments then youve ever wanted to hear! good luck
Old 12-14-2006, 03:20 PM

I just got the superchips DPI kit in my truck. The power increase is pretty good, but I haven't ran it long enough to know if it has increased my mpg
Old 12-14-2006, 03:25 PM

I have always heard that Propane with electronics really doesn't do much and that nitrous is the way to go if you have elctronics on your truck. The reason being is the electronics put more fuel into it and the propane is just another fuel now if you run you electronic module or programmer in a medium setting you will pick up some fuel mileage most your going to pick up is about 2-3 MPG and propane usage is about 5 gallons of diesel to ever 1 gallon of propane.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:37 PM

I have been doing some research on propane and am thinking very hard about putting it on my truck, from everything that I can gather propane is excellent for towing, it will increase your fuel mileage dramatically, but you have to take into consideration the cost of the propane, The power gains are supposed to be good and the egts are supposed to drop

Kevin
Old 12-14-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you want reduced egts and better mileage, go with water/methanol. you can use a tiny shot to give you better mileage, and a big shot to give you horsepower.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:38 AM

Generally as long as you can get the propane cheaper than the diesel, you should come out ahead in the mileage department and as long as your system does not use a ton of propane so you don't have to be filling the tank all the time.
We have been doing many over the road trucks as of late with the high price of diesel and even with the amount of propane they use, ( 40-50 miles to 1 gallon of propane) they are picking up a net gain of 1.5 to 2 mpg. The power of course comes along with it. The pick ups are more like 80-120 miles to 1 gallon of propane.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Powershotone
Generally as long as you can get the propane cheaper than the diesel, you should come out ahead in the mileage department and as long as your system does not use a ton of propane so you don't have to be filling the tank all the time.
We have been doing many over the road trucks as of late with the high price of diesel and even with the amount of propane they use, ( 40-50 miles to 1 gallon of propane) they are picking up a net gain of 1.5 to 2 mpg. The power of course comes along with it. The pick ups are more like 80-120 miles to 1 gallon of propane.
When I had my 01 ford I had a custom propane unit made by an individual with a 30 gallon tank. The truck new got 10 mpg but with propane I managed a 2-3 mile per gallon increase.

When towing a 36 ft fifth wheel I always managed 10-11 miles per gallon. An 850 mile trip towing used about 20 gallon at 75 mph. The system was a constant as to when the truck was running it was on. No boost set up or anything else. I called it a dummy system.

I did have one snafu when the vaporizer went out and I got a liquid shot once which blew the turbo off the pedestal and stripped the bolts. That is the weak link because this was aluminum but the truck ran pulling another 500 miles and 8 gallons of oil. NO other problem with 100000 miles on the truck and the propane system was added at 5000 miles.

I have an ATS torque pro 2000 with a tank and remote fill in the garage that I bought a year ago for the dodge but have not installed. I wanted to see what the gains would be for the 3rd gens before doing this because is a guranteed warranty burner but at this point with a new turbo, manifold and a cam going in that has vaporized already
Old 12-15-2006, 09:25 AM

Most of the problems people have "heard" about come from home made or "dummy" systems as you called it . With a proper manufactured system you should not experience any such issues, yours was an extreme one for sure. One shot of liquid should not have caused that to happen. Must have been a big shot!! We actually had a guy use a liquid tank with a vapor system for over a month before he had problems. Our system was designed not to use engine mounted vaporizers, they can and do fail.

Some systems, such as your ATS are a complicated installation and hard to remove for warranty visits, but can be done if need be. The gains on your 3rd Gen should be comparable to the 01 Ford.
My 05 is a fuel pig. Just gets terrible mileage, always has, with propane on I can sometimes see 26 on the overhead, without, the best I can see is 16 or 17. Now while that is not completely free, because I am using propane to get there, it averages out to around 22 or 23 with both fuel costs considered. I get around 1000-1200 miles out of an 8 gallon propane tank.

Are all of those things being replaced on your new truck??? What happened to it??
Old 12-15-2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Powershotone
Most of the problems people have "heard" about come from home made or "dummy" systems as you called it . With a proper manufactured system you should not experience any such issues, yours was an extreme one for sure. One shot of liquid should not have caused that to happen. Must have been a big shot!! We actually had a guy use a liquid tank with a vapor system for over a month before he had problems. Our system was designed not to use engine mounted vaporizers, they can and do fail.

Some systems, such as your ATS are a complicated installation and hard to remove for warranty visits, but can be done if need be. The gains on your 3rd Gen should be comparable to the 01 Ford.
My 05 is a fuel pig. Just gets terrible mileage, always has, with propane on I can sometimes see 26 on the overhead, without, the best I can see is 16 or 17. Now while that is not completely free, because I am using propane to get there, it averages out to around 22 or 23 with both fuel costs considered. I get around 1000-1200 miles out of an 8 gallon propane tank.

Are all of those things being replaced on your new truck??? What happened to it??
That is what I have been understanding about the homemade system or customs that are out there is where people have problems. The only good thing that I can say about them is that they are easy to fix because most of the parts are off the shelf items.

Mine is an 05 quad 4x4 daully and it is somehat of a fuel hog also with towing I get abut 8-10 mpg but unlaoded is 14-16 if I drive right.

I am taking it for granted from you sig that the powershot is the sytem you are using. I have read the instruction on the ats and it seems like a pita to install is a liquid feed. The powershot is a vapor so comes off the top. The liquid feed have to have the horizontal tanks and take a lot of room. I am really looking to a vapor feed system and have been looking at the powershot, MSD/Superchip or bully dog but have been trying to find out how each one feeds.
I like the ease of two 20# cylinders onthe vapor feed on a trailer set up bolted inthe truck which would be pretty simple for installation and out of the way.

I think I will start looking for a powershot and put the ats on the market but will have to do some more research.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:05 PM

Been running a Bully Dog system for a few years on my 92 and just love it.---I generally get 12-1500 miles out of two 5 gal tanks. The gain in power is VERY noticeable and mileage is about 4-5 mpg more with the propane. I have had ZERO problems with this system. It is a vapor system and only costed bout 600 dollars and was a piece of cake to install--Matt