3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

a few noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few noob questions

first of all great site. ive been spending the past week searching for hours on end.

im finally getting a beloved cummins this saturday, and cant wait to start the mods. problem is, there are way way to many options to choose from. the truck(see sig) has 120k with the stock clutch, which i dont want to smoke, as i dont have the money to replace it.

what i want is, i believe "pressure box", to start out with. ive looked into a EZ, diablo power puck, TP8(?), and bullydog power pup. all which seem to be able to stack with later on down the road. I really dont want to spend over $400 for a chip/programmer. as i am also dropping another $350 on gauges(boost, FP, pyro). I like the option of adjusting on the fly.

I also plan on removing the silencer ring, to listen to it sing. strait piping it. but im also undecided on an intake. i see more options of replacing the filter with a good aftermarket one, removing the baffles, making your own tube, BHAF, and an all together new intake.

which are the best options in the long run? Im sure i would be better off buying a smarty or juice w/ attitude, etc. but i wouldnt be able to control myself with all the extra power and will end up having to replace a clutch.

another thing is the truck sits @ss high. i want lose the rake and sit more even. but w/o losing too much towing capability.

Thanks in advance
Tyler
Old 10-18-2007, 11:44 PM

mod your existing intake( i originally did this and saw the same power as i do out of my afe) and hold off on the chip and you have about half the money saved up towards a clutch then you cna throw a programmer at it!!!!

if you do get a pressure box id go would stay away from a mp8...everyone i know who has run it has said it was too aggresive on the pressure. i would go with a quad xzt...it is pressure and timing, but if you ever want to stack in the future you can send it back to quad and make it a pressure only box. and it is a whole lot cheaper than the ez and mp8

i had a leveling kit on mine that i bought from topguncustomz.com for 90 bucks and it leveled it out, making it look ten times better
Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 PM

what he said. If you dont want to smoke the clutch, get one first! But as far as tunners, i have to chime in on the bullydog, cuz its what i have. i dont really know too much either about all of the options, i just made my second payment on my truck and its my first diesel as well but I read all the threads and have learned alot but i like my triple dog so far, especially since i just got my trans in the weekend, and the CL is fun! i already claimed my first rice burner just today! it was a honda accord with a huge shopping cart handle wing on the trunk!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by bigredBCS
mod your existing intake( i originally did this and saw the same power as i do out of my afe) and hold off on the chip and you have about half the money saved up towards a clutch then you cna throw a programmer at it!!!!

if you do get a pressure box id go would stay away from a mp8...everyone i know who has run it has said it was too aggresive on the pressure. i would go with a quad xzt...it is pressure and timing, but if you ever want to stack in the future you can send it back to quad and make it a pressure only box. and it is a whole lot cheaper than the ez and mp8

i had a leveling kit on mine that i bought from topguncustomz.com for 90 bucks and it leveled it out, making it look ten times better
That's because people think they can crank the mp-8 to 100%. I haven't had any issues at all. The xzt is a good box - I've had one of those also - but the fact is that the mp-8 will make more power.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The EZ is a good box, but it won't take long before you'll be wanting more (I know, I have one). I say save up your money and buy a SMARTY and or the upcoming lower priced SMARTY Jr. but you can't go wrong with the Quadzilla XZT.

A cheap (free) solution for leveling is removing the spacer blocks between the axle and springs. And relocate them at the top of the spring pack.

MikeyB
Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler
what i want is, i believe "pressure box", to start out with. ive looked into a EZ, diablo power puck, TP8(?), and bullydog power pup. all which seem to be able to stack with later on down the road. I really dont want to spend over $400 for a chip/programmer. as i am also dropping another $350 on gauges(boost, FP, pyro). I like the option of adjusting on the fly.
If you like adjusting on the fly and you want gauges why not check out the Edge Juice with attitude or if you want big power down range a TST box? You can get gauges on both. The Juice has more features but the TST has HUGE power.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:55 AM

I recommend the edge juice.. Gives you your gauges and you can always do the HOT unlock..
Old 10-19-2007, 11:51 AM

where are u located zt i have a bdtd with cl and a diablo predator that am willing to sell for a good price. if u want either pm me i will hook u up.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:08 PM

thanks guys! im not power hungry...yet.haha. just looking for a simple and safe box that will get me a little more oomph over stock. MPG gain really isnt a factor. i just dont want to go down.

right now, im leaning towards the XZT. seems to be a good(cheap) mod that i really cant get myself into trouble with. even though it doesnt have different sttings to change, it has boost fooling.

also, since the XZT uses both pressure and duration, it isnt as hard on the Fuel system(rail pressure) as a puck or EZ? no?