3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

A few thoughts and a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few thoughts and a few questions.

Thoughts: I've been reading my head off since first coming to this site a week ago. Lots of interesting stuff and things going on. One conclusion (call it an opinion If you want) I've reached is this. So much time here is spent trying to get these trucks to hit a 100mph while getting 25mpg while towing 15000lbs that common maintenance issue are pushed aside. I bet the fastlane performance guys will chuckle at my newbie questions, but for me I'm here to learn about the basic upkeep/economy/longevity techniques for my truck. I want to get that 300K life out of this Cummins product. I bet a lot of other members are interested in these basics as well. Maybe a category spoecifically for such matters would be a benefit worth adding to this forum, but that's not for me to say.

Questions:Is there a picture or a drawing somewhere on this site that would show me where the typical Maint. items are located on the 600 Cummins? Since the fuel filter gets so much attention here, can someone explain in clear detail how I find and change the fuel filter on my 2004.5. What's the most sensible change interval for the fuel filter? What does it look like? This sort of stuff would be so helpful to me with my BONE STOCK truck. Is there a savy tech out there willing to address these basics?

Bob...
Old 09-27-2006, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sure someone will send you a picture of the fuel filter. But it is on the drivers side up front by the radiator. So stand over the headlight and look down past the W.W fluid you will see a canistor. You will need a 1 1/8 socket(I maybe wrong on size) But it is big Sears sells it. Ratchet off off the bolt drop down canistor. remove filter and gasket/replace put back together it fairly simple. Change it every 10k. Go buy a Haynes manual. As for 300k HAHAHAHAHA what are you kidding. You can whale the Edit of this motor and easily get 300k. The book says 15k normal driving condition and 7500 towing for oil changes. Most people on this site do it under 5k. Why would anyone want to site around talking about changing oil intervals?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:33 PM

I just did a quick search and copied this for you.

Need a 1 1/8" socket or wrench, loosen the cap, then spin it off by hand. Theres a little vacuum pressure when you pull the cap off. Filter will come out with it. Pull the old one off the cap, take old o-ring off cap, put new o-ring on and coat it lightly with diesel. Then pop the new filter in the cap and screw it back into the filter housing. I usually drain the canister and fill it with fresh diesel before putting in new filter, but it's not necessary. you can leave the fuel in the canister while doing the swap. Takes all of 5 minutes to make the swap.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:31 PM

It doesn't take a lot to keep a cummins going.
That's why we talk about going fast.

all the basic maintenance stuff is in the owners manual, simple stuff really.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't doubt my motor would go 300k+, but it's the rest of the truck I'd have to bet against.