12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Few things (I'm a noob)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few things (I'm a noob)

I don't know much about diesels, but now I own one so I had better figure some things out... And I hope I'm not pulling the typical retarded noob first post here.

It's a 'maybe' bone stock 94, auto tranny and 4wd. I say 'maybe' because I bought it off a lot and haven't found the PO. But, obviously nothing performance wise has been done to it...

Anyways. There was a service bulletin (or something like that) for the KDP. What are the chances that it actually has been done? Is it common practice to mark anything external if it has been done? A sticker? If there's no way to tell, I'll deal with it on a weekend sometime... I hate working on my DD.

Also, it tends to surge occasionally at certain speeds. Seems to be somewhere around third gear. It's worse when towing. Even my unloaded equipment deck (1600lbs) causes it to be quite obvious. And it really didn't like when I had a truck on the deck. From what I've read this would be a faulty TPS? And they're built to be entirely non user servicable?

And is there an explaination of the trannies shifting tendencies anywhere? It feels very strange, like it won't lock the TQ until OD. Or something... It feels sluggish until it pulls into 4th and then it'll really haul. Which actually leads me to ask if having the OD on affects how it shifts in 1-3? Perhaps the strange feel to it is again related to the TPS?

Oh yeah, guess my coolant temp sender has piled up too. I think I'll deal with it and get some real gauges at some point here.

And I'm thinking about doing the governor mod and getting a fuel plate perhaps. Otherwise I'll leave it alone.

Thoughts, comments?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:47 AM
JKM

Usually , unless you were told by a PO that the KDP was done , it's best to pull the cover off and have a look see to be sure.

If your surge is happening in third gear , it is not caused by the TPS , in your 1994 there is a 47RH transmission , gears 1-3 are controlled my a mechanical goveroner/hydraulic valve body. OD and converter lockup are controlled by the PCM and two solonoids on the side of the valve body.

The TPS CAN be taken apart and cleaned however , if you take it off , and look at the back of it ( opposite the side the shaft goes into it) you will see a cover in the middle , with a faint line around it , trace that line with a sharp knife , and pry the cover off , spray everything with some good electrical contact cleaner , and silicone the cover back on.

Having the OD on all the time has one small effect on the 1-3 gear range operation, if you lock OD out , the converter will lock in third gear also. The stock converter in these trucks is very inefficient , that's why you notice a huge performance increase with the converter locked.

The CTS ( coolant temp sens.) is at the very back of the cylinder head on the driver side , just one wire going to it.

A GSK and a fuel plate , alone with some gauges will make that an entirely different truck, I think you would be pleased.

I hope I was of some help. Jayme
Old 07-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U need a better Torque Conveter and Valve Body for ur tranny, and u'll think ur driving a new truck because the power u feel in 4th when it locks up is what u'll feel from the start. The stock auto is a real dog.

do a search for "free 12v mods" and u should find some good stuff to add some free/cheap power to really change ur truck. Welcome by the way, lots of great info here for anything u need done to ur truck, from twin turbos, to whatever else u could want to do.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:00 PM

So is the surging caused by the valve body then? Or the governor?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be any of the above? I can tell you this my trany was all over the place at low rpms then I bought a valve body from Goerand and that curred that problem now I just have to get around to changing out the convertor.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:27 AM

What's a valve body worth? And a TC? I don't need anything hard-core, becuase I'm not planning to do that. Who recommends what and where to buy it? Does it make more sense at a certain point to order up a bling 'pre-built' tranny? Even if my only plans are the GSK and the fuel plate (probably grind it to a #10, I think)?

And can I justify an new TC and VB by saying 'it'll improve my milage'? I need a good excuse...

I will be doing a lot of towing. And hauling. And if I keep reading more about these things, I'll be spending less time wrenching on the jeep...

(I'll start searching)