1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

NOOB Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOOB Questions

Ok I have driven Semi's and construction equipment my entire life. The problem is I have never had to physically work on a diesel enough to understand the parts. I have basic knowledge of Diesels and how they work. I have a 93 CTD W250 w/5 speed. I have a fuel leak at what I thought was the fuel pump. I am not sure what is the lift pump, the fuel pump & the KBS solenoid? It looks as though one of the fittings for a hard fuel line may be loose and leaking fuel all over the pump. The accelerator linkage is kind of in the way to get in there easily to tighten it up and it is in against the block. I was told by my friend that I got the truck from that he had to replace the cold weather sensor before when it smoked and ran bad. So I started searching and found a lot of references to the KBS solenoid and fuel leaks. I figured I would start with my fuel leak and go from there to try and resolve the blue smoke and rough running in cold weather issue. What do I need to do to get in next to the block to tighten the fuel fittings? Looks as thoug I need to remove a few things to get in there. Is that the fuel pump that the lines are coming out of? Where is the lift pump? Where is the KBS solenoid? Sorry if these have been brought up before but I could find no mention to locations in my searching?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The lift pump is on the driver's side of the block, near the rear of the engine, low, and looks like a regular gasser kind of fuel pump. It's mechanical and runs off a lobe on the cam shaft. From there, a fuel line runs to the fuel filter/seperater. It's about midship and higher on the block. It's a spin-on type filter and looks like a small oil filter. Fuel exits that and goes to the injecter pump, the thing with about 79 fuel lines coming out of it. The KSB solenoid is on the bottom/outside of the injector pump at a little bit of an angle. It has a wire attached and is fairly prominate. The solenoide provides timing advance for cold conditions. Now's probably a good time to change the filter as well. Every 24,000 miles is the spec. Both connections at the lift pump I believe are o-ring snap on types. Not sure about the filter housing. All connections at the injector pump are threaded. I'm sure someone else can fill in some more detailed info here. But, first, figure out where exactly your leak is...the lift pump, the filter, or the injector pump.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:21 PM

From the sounds of what you described it is the Injector pump as they are threaded. It is toward the front of the engine drivers side just below the head and right behind the power steering pump. The lines I am referring to come out of the rear of it headed toward the rear of the engine. Pretty difficult to get to.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:45 PM

Welcome on board also Jeepinaround. Yes, the line that goes from the filter to the injector pump is a real bear to get to. I would just loosen up the fittings and then tighten them back up. Do NOT use any teflon tape as it will wear out due to the Diesel fuel and if any little piece got into your injector pump, forget it. Replace the pump would probably be your only answer, big $$ for something stupid.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:23 PM

ok the lines I was reffering to are the lines coming from the back of the pump and go up to the injectors. Here is a picture...

now the question I have is where is the KBS solenoid? I think it is the solenoid near the bottom of the pump with the connection coming out of the back of it and just under the the end of the throttle linkage. It has the hard line coming out of it and going into the pump. What is the solenoid thing on top of the pump with a small hard line coming out of it and going into the head?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:35 PM

Ok I maybe should start a new thread but figured since I called it Noob questions I would continue it. All I know is that my friend that I bought it from put a turbo from a Freight shaker on it. No idea what model I know it is a Holset and I believe it is wastegated. Here are a few pics...

Not sure if you can tell anything from the pictures or not. I am pretty sure the last picture is the wastegate. Other mods he said that were done are, the biggest injectors that will fit, fuel turned all the way up and straight exhaust. I think it is 3" definately not 4". I plan on getting the BHAF in and then doing a 4" all the way back from the turbo.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
That is odd that your injector lines are leaking at the back of the pump. Hopefully they are just loose, but you do not want to over-tighten them, as it can crush the fitting. I don't remember the torque spec.

The chamber with four slot-head screws and the little hard line running over to the head is the AFC housing (or "puff limiter") Look in the tech facts section about turning up the pump.

Your turbo looks to me as though it is an hx35 with a 12cm wastegated housing -- but the center cartridge looks a littl funny somehow -- there should be a plate on the compressor housing, near the outlet with the model number for the turbo (basically behind the air intake hose in your photo).

You have correctly identified the KSB.

It looks as though your buddy had the pump off and fooled with it a fair bit?
Old 05-03-2005, 02:33 PM

I had a few supply injector lines (at rear of injection pump), they were a bear to get at, so... I took a 17mm deep socket, and made a 'flange' wrench out of it.

Cut a big "U" shape out of cross-section, and a knotch in socket end to slip over lines

basically;

retained the sq. driver side, and socket end, and it is connected by a 10-12mm wide web (what remains of socket)

this is a very handy device

Tightened 6 lines in ~30 Sec
Old 05-03-2005, 02:55 PM

Yes there is a plate down there under the intake hose. I tried to snap a picture of it so I could see what it says but no luck all blury. I will try to get around to taking off the hose to see what it is. What housing are you looking at that you think is 12cm? How can you tell? I assume it is the "Hot Side" of the turbo. Yes I believe he had a lot of work done to it. He owns a trucking and equipment company so he has a friend that works at Kenworth who specializes on Cummins work on it a lot to get more power out of it.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by janb
I had a few supply injector lines (at rear of injection pump), they were a bear to get at, so... I took a 17mm deep socket, and made a 'flange' wrench out of it.

Cut a big "U" shape out of cross-section, and a knotch in socket end to slip over lines

basically;

retained the sq. driver side, and socket end, and it is connected by a 10-12mm wide web (what remains of socket)

this is a very handy device

Tightened 6 lines in ~30 Sec
Having a hard time visuallizing that! Sounds interesting and I would like to try it. 17mm is the size needed for those lines coming out of the back of the injector pump?
Old 05-03-2005, 03:01 PM

Yes, he's referring to the "hot" side, or the Turbine Housing. The "cold side" is the compressor. Basically, the 12cm (or 12 Square Centimeters) refers to the size of the housing, specifically the area of the gap the lets the hot exhaust gas blow over the veins of the turbine. 1st gen. trucks shipped with 18.5cm housings and 21cm housing. Smaller housings let the back pressure build up quicker which allows the turbo to spool up quicker thus helping to eliminate "turbo lag". Extreme small housings, 14cm and 12cm, require a waste gate, in most cases, so that you won't over spool the turbo which could lead to too much boost pressure (is there such a thing?) and really high exhaust gas temperatures.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:05 PM

Jeepin,

Yes, 17mm is the size. If you want to visualize this socket, go any auto parts store, and ask to see an Oxygen Sensor socket. It will look much the same, maybe a bit more substantial, then this home-built version. I don't think the size be right nor would it fit over the injector lines, but you'll get the picture when you see it!
Old 05-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by Alec
Your turbo looks to me as though it is an hx35 with a 12cm wastegated housing -- but the center cartridge looks a littl funny somehow -- there should be a plate on the compressor housing, near the outlet with the model number for the turbo (basically behind the air intake hose in your photo).
I'm with you Alec, that center section doesn't look like an HX-35 or a WH1C to me. Also notice the turbine housing clamp plate is a big circle rather than two dogbones. I was thinking it might be an HX-40 center section, but the compressor doesn't look any bigger than normal. I'll look at a '40 on one of the old 8.3's at work and see if it's a '40 cartridge.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:25 PM

Ok I worked at it for a few minutes and finally got a good shot of the tag. It says HX35W...

Is that different than a normal HX35?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HX35W

The W just means that it is a wastegated turbo. My H1C is non-wastegated. As far as whether it looks different, I'll leave that to those with more experience than me.

Quick Reply: NOOB Questions